Noob grower with some questions

Howdy all. I hope all is where with you, wherever you are.

So a little background (short version): Found some seeds in some bud (wedding cake - no idea yet if it was autoflower) and decided to try to germinate them. However, as i mentioned I am a noob and therefore have 0 idea what I am doing. So I went ahead and ordered some autoflowers from Mr. Bergman and in the mean time, germinated the seeds in a paper towel, and plopped them bad girls (hopefully girls, anyway) into a small pot filled with miracle grow. I then tossed on some water and put them in the window sill for some tasty sunlight. Everything was going good, growing nice and strong - until they started to stretch. I did some research on this site and found out they were desperate for some light. It is winter after all. So, I acquired a grow light with good reviews from amazon, grabbed some foylon reflective material and repurposed the frame of a collapsible wardrobe into a makeshift grow tent. Not a bad job if I do say so myself. So now I come to my question(s):

1. I know that everyone says not to use miracle-grow (and keep in mind I used it before I knew any better), and I have heard some say that you can use it at first, but as the plants grow, they need something else. And I have heard people say that they did fine with it. So what is the story with Miracle grow? Yes? No? Mabye?
  2. Also, being a noob; is there a soil I can use and just water it? Not trying to be lazy here, there is just A LOT of information and its hard to know where to begin.
  3. Also, can Miracle-Grow be made better by adding something?
  4. Is there an option to just plant, water, add grow light and go? What other options are there. Please keep in mind that while I don’t mind spending some money, my resources are somewhat limited, at the moment.
  5. What is a base soil?
  6. Can you just get a base soil and add something to it and just water it (like adding fertilizer to it or something)?
  7. What do I look for in a base soil?
  8. We have nurseries around here, and making my own soil seems fantastic. And I saw Mr. Garrigans recipe which looked fantastic, but some of it I was having a hard time following (the difference between bone meal and steamed bone meal for example, cooking time for another, how do you cook it, for another). I can also see how making your own is less expensive in the long run. The initial cost however is a bit prohibitive at the moment. Are there any other options for making your own soil?

OK I think I have asked enough questions for now.

I really appreciate any help that is given. Also please remember I have grow exactly ONE thing in my entire life - a jalapeno. A single jalapeno. That being said please remember I might not know some of your terminology.

Thank yall again.

4 Likes

Welcome to ilgm.
All your answers can found here I’m sure. :v:t3:
On my first grow myself so am only starting and need experience to help here.

1 Like

Miracle grow will burn a seedling and not good for plant. If you want all organic grow you could use roots organic grow terp tea and roots organic flower terp tea that’s what I have been using. There is pre mix soil that’s organic and there’s also super soil both add water. I’ve done both and never ph’d water. With base soil that’s your starting out soil. You will need to add n-p-k nutrients to it or if your making it you will need to cook it in sun. There is alot of options for organic and super soils like sohum soil, fox farm ocean farm, roots organic etc. What im using this grow is grow and flower terp teas, molasses and re-ammended organic soil. @Covertgrower could tell you more about making soil.

I defer to @Budbrother or @Mrcrabs for soil recipes. I know the basics, but I also don’t want to steer someone in the wrong direction.

5 Likes

@garrigan62 can defenitly help you he has easy to follow recipes to make soil

2 Likes

I really appreciate everyones input. You guys are awesome. So I was doing some checking and it looks like my best bet for now is going to be going with happy frog potting soil. Looks like it is one of those "add soil, add water, add sunlight - good to go. I made this decision based on ease of use, wanting to go ahead and get going and cost to buy the raw mats to make a good soil mix.

So what experience do you guys have with happy frog? Good starting point? Anyone know if I have to add anything to it?

Thank yall again

The easiest best way I know how to do it is dry amendments in a peat moss or coco coir medium Over here is my feed guide all you have to do is put 11 drops of hydroponic ph down in each gallon of water for all except for top dressing

1 Like
  1. I know that everyone says not to use miracle-grow (and keep in mind I used it before I knew any better), and I have heard some say that you can use it at first, but as the plants grow, they need something else. And I have heard people say that they did fine with it. So what is the story with Miracle grow? Yes? No? Mabye?

Miracle grow makes many different soils. They even have OMRI certified organic. The problem is with the 6mo stuff with the lil balls of nutes. You’ll never get it out of your buds. you can’t flush em enough; it’ll just release more nutes when you try.

1. Also, being a noob; is there a soil I can use and just water it? Not trying to be lazy here, there is just A LOT of information and its hard to know where to begin.

No, is the simple answer, but there’s many companies out there that will tell you “water only.” What do they care if it doesn’t work; they already got their money. Your sickly, deficient plants are your problems.

1. Also, can Miracle-Grow be made better by adding something?

2. Is there an option to just plant, water, add grow light and go? What other options are there. Please keep in mind that while I don’t mind spending some money, my resources are somewhat limited, at the moment.

3. What is a base soil?

A starting soil without added amendments

1. Can you just get a base soil and add something to it and just water it (like adding fertilizer to it or something)?

You could amend it, add aeration, and then fertilize with your preferred brand, weekly.

1. What do I look for in a base soil?

2. We have nurseries around here, and making my own soil seems fantastic. And I saw Mr. Garrigans recipe which looked fantastic, but some of it I was having a hard time following (the difference between bone meal and steamed bone meal for example, cooking time for another, how do you cook it, for another). I can also see how making your own is less expensive in the long run. The initial cost however is a bit prohibitive at the moment. Are there any other options for making your own soil?

Bone meal is ground up bones from the slaughter floor, but steamed bone meal has been sterilized by heat. This process also makes the calcium and potassium more available.

Cooking is just leaving it untouched for a period of time. This is to allow the microbes to begin breaking it down for use. Some ingredients are “hotter” than others so cooking time varies according to amendments used.

Making your own soil can be as simple or as hard as you make it. The cost of buying individual amendments can be negated by buying soil kits with the proper ratios of amendments already mixed. Then you just add peat, compost and aeration. Even then you must feed your plants!

8 Likes

@Budbrother that was an awesome and very thorough answer. Thank you for taking the time to write all of that.

So I wanted to ask if you would expand on the last thing you said about the soil kit. So I typed in “soil kit” into amazon to see what would come back and it gave me the big 3 fox farm trio (https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Farm-Liquid-Nutrient-Formula/dp/B00D93NIFY/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=soil%2Bkit%2Bfor%2Bcannabis&qid=1609002634&sr=8-1&th=1). Is that what you are talking about? I also looked under “base soil” and amazon gave me happy frog (Amazon.com). I looked it over and it looks like all that is in it is soil microbes and mycorrhizal fungi. Is this the base soil you mean?

So if those are right, in theory, I should just be able to put in the soil, add in the other additives per instruction give em water and good to go? Also, would the peat and the compost be on top of the additives or is peat and compost already added in to those bottles from fox farm?

2 Likes

I don’t use Amazon often. I give ALL my business to Build a Soil. I usually recommend the Modern 2.0 kit.
https://buildasoil.com/products/buildasoil-modern-mix-v2-0-complete-soil-building-kit?_pos=6&_sid=a501ccdd8&_ss=r&variant=1204042928
Here’s a recent link that may help you some. Closet/Frigidank™ perpetual grow - #4302 by elheffe702

2 Likes

@Budbrother Even more awesome information, sir. Thank you so much. So according to the directions I would take this mix kit, Mix into a 2.2 CF Bale of Peat Moss plus 3 Cubic Feet of compost and 3 Cubic Feet of aeration.

So, a few more questions.

1. Is that all? Like I do that mix, light water and go?
  2. on the how to use tab it says “Use at 1.5 Cups Per cubic foot of soil or about 3 Tablespoon per gallon of soil” - I am not entirely sure what they are saying. Are they saying once you have put your mix together, you mix it with a base soil?
  3. does this have to be cooked at all?

Thank you again, for all your help

1 Like
  1. This soil would be water only, for a while, If you choose; but then the plant needs would have to be met. We all add teas or organic ferts and top dress.

2. That was answered in the grow journal link above. You can mix up the whole kit, or you can mix what you need. Then use the remainder to re-amend your pots for future grows.

3. BaS says, cook time 1 week

2 Likes

@Budbrother and all those who put in info: thank you. This was a metric TON of information. Thank you, again.

2 Likes