Noob brain absorbtion

I plant directly into forever pot, also.
Using Sohum living soil, earth dust and worm castings.
4 in veg tent and 4 in seedling tent.
Put on risers to get plants off floor.
Have fun and BAZINGA!

4 Likes

Welcome to the neighborhood. You will call this home away from home. Good people share their experiences and wanting you to succeed. Happy Growing :blush::v:

2 Likes

All I ever do is sow straight into moist soil in a solo cup with a baggie over the top. Works every time. Takes about 5 days. If they do longer than 10 without breaking ground, Iā€™d gently dig them up and see if anything is going on. Just keep the moist, but not soaked.

3 Likes

@Mr67 Welcome and happy growing! I start my seeds straight into soil too. If they donā€™t germinate try soaking them first or covering the pot with cellophane. Then wait. If the soil is drying out, donā€™t water just mist the soil. Lastly, a heating mat helps too for germination. I turn it on in my tent in the winter too when the basement is too cold. Heating mats are the shit!

3 Likes

Probe was lowered after that pic. The light is an ion s44

1 Like

First one showed her pretty little head today. 5 more to gošŸ¤—

3 Likes

Anything specific for risers? I was going to get drip trays for them here soon. is that not necessary?

They dont want to suck up the runoff and u need a way to check ppm of runoff.
I have these with drawers to catch runoff

2 Likes

Thanks. Iā€™ll look for something similar.
I also need to order my nutrients for down the road. Any recommendations?

1 Like

@Khaos850 hey there. They popped through. My light is now on. But my question is how high% should I have it for seedling stage and what height from the pots at this point in their life?

1 Like

Many use Jacks 321. Then have on amazon. Easy to mix and less expensive.

1 Like

Oops i forgot you are using living soil, so you will probably use cal mag, fish castingsā€¦

1 Like

Many folks use a phone app called Photone, comparisons against high$ pro meters are pretty good.

As for what number you want for your seedlings, thereā€™s lots of good references in What are you using? Watts per sq ft.

Without quoting other sites too directly, if you google ā€œppfd for seedlingsā€ you get answers, but 200-400 ppfd (I think).

1 Like

Thats great! Congrats!
I usually have my lights around 24-30" above seedlings and set my DLI around 15. If they start stretching Iā€™ll lower the light or turn it up to achieve 18 dli. Like others said, the photone app works great. No need to spend big money on meters in my opinion. Just make sure you set it to you light schedule which at seedling stage should be 24hr. Let them tell you what they want. If they start stretching, give them more light.

@Khaos850 hey thanks man. Downloaded and made adjustments. Got 5 poked through. The first one is almost 2ā€ tall.
You said you remove your ā€œdomeā€ as soon as they are in the air?

1 Like

@Khaos850 also Iā€™m on a 20 and 4 schedule. Should I go full 24?
And when is the proper time for some airmovement?

All great questions. Youā€™re thinking ahead! I dont use domes anymore but when I did I would put them on once they broke ground. I would usually make them out of water bottles. Once the leaves were close to touching the sides, I would remove them.
20/4 is fine if you can keep temps up while lights are off. Im in a chilly basement so I run 24hr first two weeks.
I turn on circulation at 2 weeks or so to strengthen the stem. Nice light breeeze. Just enough to make them wiggle and I place the fan between the lights and top of sprouts.

2 Likes

@Khaos850 im also chilly and compensating with a small space heater. Iā€™ll wait to turn fan on.
So you donā€™t use domes? Just let em sprout and game on?!
Thanks again for the help!

Thats it. No domes this current grow. If you are able to keep your rh up 60-70% I feel as though there is no reason for them. I can hardly pull my rh up past 45% in the dry winter heat and mine were fine. Do yourself a favor and read through this wealth of knowledge this man was so kind to leave us. I wish I was on here sooner to speak to him. Hes been mia for about a year now.

A lot of the things I do come from his methods, and others.

1 Like

Boom! Your awesome. Canā€™t wait to read!