Non melting gummy bears

I’ve made gummy bears for several years now and I can’t find a way to pervert them from melting when they get around 85°f or 90°f. I’ve been all over the internet trying to find a solution with no luck. My recipe uses flavored gelatin and unflavored gelatin, honey, Kool aid, citric acid, fruit juice, and of course cannabis oil. I also put a little squirt of concentrated liquid drink flavoring. They are excellent but they melt on a hot day out of the fridge!

These two ingredients alone will cause them to “melt” as soon as it gets warm. If you substitute for sugar, or cornsyrup, you’ll have a better result.

1 Like

All I can think of is corn starch and or paraffin wax added in the oil, or an ice cooler.
I can see why you’d like a higher melting point, those things are sticky mess.
Perhaps coating them with a hard candy shell?
I’m setting up to make gummies from shatter and gummy-goo is something I never comprehended.

2 Likes

I’ll try the corn syrup for sure but the fruit juice is a major player in these flavor. I never use a citric fruit juice. What would I replace the fruit with?

Haribo coats theirs with bees wax. They also use cornstarch molds. I use silicone molds of course but I’m interested in the bes wax.

I guess I can replace the fruit juice with water and sugar and just flavor it with a few drams of LoRanns flavored oil.

1 Like

I’m guessing one .25fl oz. of unflavored gelatin would replace the gelatin in one 3oz. package of flavored gelatin. I’ll try this soon.

1 Like

I just made these yesterday

This is my recipe that I came up with. I had never made them before and was rather impressed with the outcome.
I used 4 packets of Wally World unflavored gelatin. Took a 4 cup glass measuring cup. Put 1 cup of cold water and sprinkled gelatin over the water. I left it sit for about 5 minutes. Put in microwave for 45 seconds to a minute. Took out mixed up with whisk. Added a little bit of honey. Added 1 cup of my infused coconut oil. Then one large package of Jello. Mixed up really good with whisk. Put back in microwave for 1 minute 45 seconds. First batch I did 2 minutes and it boiled over. That sucked but, at least I was watching it. Keep an eye on it and if it looks like it’s going to boil over open door to stop microwave :+1:. You don’t want to have to clean up an over boil. I then took it out and mixed really well with the whisk and poured directly into the mold. Chill in fridge or freezer, I used both, for about 20 minutes. Take out, remove from mold and enjoy. I know that I did. Was kinda worried going in as, I had no fricking clue what I was doing. Sometimes things work out. I hope that this helps

6 Likes

I’m happy with everything about mine except they turn to liquid when they get around 90°f. I want to be able to carry them in my pocket with out the meltdown. Do yours turn to liquid if the get to warm?

1 Like

This is a great thread for anyone wanting to do edibles.
I also have coco butter and coca for making chocolates, I’d like to try my hand at shatter cream filled chocolates.
For now I’m still ordering fittings and parts for my extractor, it’s an expense I’ve been slowly absorbing over a couple years and now I’m close to the finish line where I can start producing small batch super critical de-waxed shatter.
I’m not a perfectionist, 99.999% is good enough.
Thanks for everyone’s input, it helps allot to see what others are doing.

3 Likes

I’m also going to try using powdered thc by mixing infused butter with tapioca maltodextrin. I’m really excited to try that! I have just recently learned about it. I wouldn’t mind not using grain alcohol to extract with anymore. I’m hoping it will improve the flavor.

You can add the infused powder to anything I would imagine.

I guess you could powder the LoRann flavored oil if you wanted to. Options are limitless really. Hell, you can even powder bacon grease. It makes it water soluble too so you could stir it right into a drink (I wouldn’t use bacon grease for the drink though).

I use the same recipe that you are using and have not had an issue with them turning to liquid at temp. I use 10-packs of unflavored gelatin and 2 large boxes of flavored jello. 1-cup fruit juice and 1/4 honey. I carried a few around in my pocket all day on the 4th of July last year and it was 90+.

3 Likes

I use 4 boxes if 3oz. flavored gelatin is the only difference. Maybe that’s where I go wrong.

I just checked and a large pack is 6oz. so I guess that wouldn’t matter.

Pretty sure the 4 are equal to the 2.

Or do you use 12oz. boxes? That would make a difference. Are they easy to chew like normal gummies?

It depends. We normally keep them in the freezer so they are tough to chew. Why I’ve had them at room temp they are like store bought gummies. I use two 6oz packages.

1 Like

Damn the largest packs of Jello I can find around here are just under 4 ounces. Mine have been laying on the counter in zip loc bags since I made them yesterday and seem to be fine as well. Just ate one a few minutes ago. :+1: :tumbler_glass: :v:

1 Like