Non bud trimmings for butter?

Another noob question… I have saved a fair amount of clippings from a gdp plant from before and during flowering. Leaves are not part of buds. Has anyone used these obviously weaker leaves in butter or other? I know it seems redundant when other stronger stuff is well on the way, but waste not, want not.
Having smoke a lil bit of it, its got some thc it seemed,so i wonder if i used a lot more than normal if i might get a usable product or not?

1 Like

the problem is the amount of chlorophyl that would be extracted to get to the insignificant amount of THC. There may be some medicinal benefit to the greens but if you are after THC look elsewhere.

5 Likes

Very little THC. BUT cannabis leaves are a healthy food. Good in salads.

2 Likes

I did not know that.

1 Like

The seeds are super nutritious. One of the best sustainable food sources available. Will never convince governments to acknowledge that. Seed oil lubed conestoga wagon wheels. The fibers made rope/sails and the conestoga wagon covers. Not just a medical plant.

4 Likes

Honestly when i make butter. The left over smells alot like cooked spinach. Maybe have to cook me some greens and vinegar. :+1:t3:

3 Likes

It is such a useful plant. Henry ford made a car out of it in 1941. Blew my mind. And ford NOW is using plasticized (biodegradable) hemp in all its top line lightning trucks and mustangs for interior paneling and seat cushions. Instead of petroleum.

These European car makers have leveraged hemp-based additives over the years. Here’s the highlights.

• Volvo – Uses natural fibers to cut the use of glass fiber and reduce weight.
  • BMW – The i3 has utilized hemp biocomposites since 2013.
  • Porche – The 718 Cayman GT 4 Club Sport utilizes hemp.
  • Mercedes – C-class vehicles use two dozen parts on each vehicle that leverage hemp.
  • Audi and Volkswagen – One of the original hemp automotive leaders in the early 2000’s.
  • Peugeot – The Peugeot 308 saw 25% weight savings compared to traditional plastics.
2 Likes

There is a way to clean up your butter. Ive seen it melted and add water and the green stuff is attracted to the water which separates from the butter. Leaving with a cleaner product. For us its easier to dose butter with feco.

1 Like

When make butter, i use roughly one bottle of water added to my melted butter. Once the butter stiffens up the water stays on the bottom. Ive always wondered if there was anything useful or thay could be extracted from the potty water in the bottom of the butter bowl.

@Allinherhead , have you tried it with standard trimmings (non-bud)? I must say, it might be worth a try if it can be cleaned. otherwise, I waste it which isn’t the end of the world.

1 Like

So trim basically is kind of useless? Use for more like popcorn and larf buds to make edibles and dabs. Or should I use the buds?

1 Like

I cut off any leaf that has a stem. Everything else goes into the trim pile for extraction. Ive been using a bowl trimmer for all except the main buds. I use this trim and pack a bunch of cones for gifting the rest gets decarbed and i make qwet to make carts with first pass then a longer soak for feco which we use to dose everything, sugar, butter, syrup etc.

1 Like

@Allinherhead
Pardon for being thick headed, but you are saying that yes, you have made butter (or other) from trimming made from non bud leaves? And if so, were you able to get something usable out of it?

I imagine that if you are growing 4 or more plants in a go that it would be silly to consider using such leaves with all the good bud to work with. But I will only ever have 1 plant in flower at a time. So i would like to maximize. But at the same time, i don’t want to set myself up to fail the first time

3 Likes

Thaks for being nice in the way you said i didnt answer the question lol. You can look at the leaves your asking about with any magnifying glass. If theres trichromes there you can recover the thc. If the trichromes aren’t there then theres nothing to gain. If youre limited to one plant at a time and would like more material to work with so you can do edibles you could run autoflowers. Imo the buds wont be show quality top shelf but the smoke is still awsome and the grows can be quicker.

1 Like

Im at work and was thinking about this conversation. You said only 1 plant growing at a time. How big is your space lighting etc. Im just curious if theres a way to maximize your results so theres plenty of smoke and plenty for other processes. Or do you have plenty but trying to not toss out some potentially usable product.

1 Like

My space, currently is a 4*4 tent. Lighting is evolving. My primary reason for only 1 at a time is that I love and respect my wife LOL.
Shes good with it, but it freaks her out a bit. We are growing cooking herbs as well.
This is my first grow. And so far so good. About a month from harvest mas a manos. But since im only growing for my wife and I and not growing more than one, just trying to not be wasteful. And truly as much fun as this is, it would be nice to have a break at times. As long as i have enough till the next harvest lol.

1 Like