No sprouts after 5 days

I’m sorry @Skydiver, and all, I’ve totally been slacking!

The three ladies are doing well. They stopped stretching and are now developing good looking leaves. Here are some photo updates:

Day 3:

Day 4 (8/2/19):

Day 5:
Green Crack

My single Strawberry Cough (since I dumped the other all over the floor)

2 Likes

I also started a grow journal for these girls in the beginner’s forum, am I able to put the link to it in here somehow?

this could have saved you a heap of pain…the video says put them in a 1/4 inch hole yet the written instructions below the video say 0.6 inches, so maybe split the difference, be patient.

@James68, I have read that. Over and over actually. And the grow bible as well. I made the hole with a pen cap at about an half an inch or a little more, and lightly covered with soil. They are growing well, and seem to be happy. See photos above

2 Likes

I wish you a boutiful harvest :honeybee:

Thank you @James68, I will keep everyone posted. I’m excited, they should be beautiful…

1 Like

Great job with the seedlings

Awesome job dude!

1 Like

Go easy on the watering
Just use a spray bottle and mist them a couple times a day for a week or so. Overwatering can cause issues…
From the pics they look soaked…just saying

As they get bigger they will need more but now not so much

1 Like

G’day sport…welcome to here…me ex Tassie, left in '71 as they were handing out 5 year terms for having a spliff…totally weird :man_farmer:

I have been misting them down, maybe once a day if they need it, but usually just the inside of the too cups. The pictures are usually right after I have done that. A few nights ago, my top cups blew off in the night and my cups dried significantly and the leaves were hurting. All seems ok now…

So I haven’t given any updates for awhile. There’s a reason… In the photos above, my top covers had blown off in the night, and my little leaves dried out quite a bit. Since then, they have struggled a little bit. They are on their third set of leaves and all are different sizes. We are at 2 weeks and they are still so little…
Green Crack

1 Like

How long should I leave the top covers on?

Are these being kept inside or outside?
Reason I ask is if outside what is the Relative Humidity where you live? You want to keep them around 60-70% RH
So depending on what the airs RH is as to if needing to dome them or not.
Also did you use the happy frog or the seed starter mix you posted earlier? Looks like some nutrient burn on the edges of some of the leaves. When they are seedlings they don’t require much nutrients and the seedling mix is best when initially planting them.
If you had the opportunity to mist them lightly (just the leaves) 3-4x a day you could (I do this may not work for all) leave the domes off most of the time. Domes are needed if the RH is low like under 50%
After a couple weeks I usually don’t keep the domes on anymore but of course this depends on the RH and how they are looking

Hi @skydiver, they are being kept inside. I did start them in the fox farm and not the seed starter. They are definitely not doing well though. I’ve wasted so many seeds already, with nothing to show for it… I’m so bummed.

1 Like

Seed starter is named that for a reason. It is light in nutrients which seedlings don’t need much of at all. The first little round leaves at the bottom are nutrient storage for the plants first week or so and eventually dry up shrivel and fall off.
Another learning opportunity I guess.
Any current pics of the seedlings you can post and what you have been doing as far as watering misting doming etc and your temps and humidity.
I would think they can be saved and grow up big even though in the Fox Farms frog

2 Likes

Well, it definitely is a learning experience. I got a new light, and accidently had it on the bloom setting. I’m sure I contributed to them essentially dying by doing that, they might have been savable otherwise. One has completely died, I think.

I have a 5’ x 5’ tent with a 1000 watt grow light for my four bigger plants. My seedlings are on a table next to my big plants with a clip on LED light with three 20w light extensions. I did think I was helping by switching out the soil to the seedling mix, but I probably shocked them…

When I water, I use a particular brand of bottled water that has a pH of 6.4-6.5. I lightly mist the tops of the plants and the insides of the cups 1-2 times per day (depending on if I was able to undome them for a length of time). When they are undomed, the RH level is between 70-73% and temp between 75-77 degrees. See photos:

Ventilation system is also set up. I’ve invested a ton of money in this, and will spend more, I just want to get it right. Any advice is appreciated.

1 Like

@Skydiver Here are the others I just recently started since my other three were struggling so bad. When do you all transplant them to a larger pot? I was going to go to 1 gallon plastic pots, but also have 3 and 5 gallon fabric pots. A few are about 2-3 inches tall at this point.

1 Like

That’s sound like a pretty darn good range for them with out the dome. If that’s the case I wouldn’t cover them as those numbers look good to me. As long as they are fairly consistent in a 24 hour period. Some swing is fine just not more than 10-15%
If more than that dome them up when needed.

So let me make sure I understand what you have going on. Looks like you have 4 plants pretty far along into veg. Correct.
And you have these seedlings in solo cups.
The tent at 5x5 will be fine for the 4 plants your getting ready for flower. All the new seedlings what’s your plan? Do you have another space for them?

As far as up potting them it depends on what available room you have. If you have the room I would put into the final size pots once you have a good root structure in those solo cups. Will be awhile as they are just starting to root underneath and grow up top. If you need to manage the available space…say a closet set up for seedlings and smaller veg plants in 1-2 gallon containers (can be bigger just depends on how many and availability of space you have)

5 gallon is in my opinion a minimum with Photo plants vegging for 8+ weeks if your running Autos 3 gallons will work. If you plan on vegging shorter than 8 weeks say 6 you may …may…be ok with smaller than 5 gallon … bigger pot more roots more plant.

Lighting is pretty much at the top of the ladder as it’s the real food for the plants so when you are able buy some LED high efficiency (efficacy) lol drbn lights for great growth and thick dense buds.

Take a look at this forum do a search for lighting and read through some things.
I upgraded to HLG lights and Photo Boost lights and am amazed. When adjusted correctly at the proper height above the canopy and set at the proper intensity they will positively impact your grows with bigger thicker denser buds…

Your feed the soil the soil critters feed the roots (below ground) all the while the lights (sun) feeds the plants above ground.

Here is an option for the 5x5
https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/collections/all/products/hlg-600h-kit-with-slate-5

And another option X 2 fixtures …maybe…having a hard time coming up with 2 covering the 5x5. But maybe …
https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/collections/all/products/260w-xl-qb-v2-led-kit

Again I’m not an expert on any of this just my experience and learning curve but @dbrn32 may better assist you on lighting for sure and the light you have without knowing the brand and model I couldn’t say for sure but the draw from the wall may be much less than 1000W and may be fine for seedling and vegetative stage but may not have the coverage and intensity needed to flower your space at 5x5 and give you and your time the best results that can otherwise be obtained.

Ok I’m done rambling lol
Hope this helped and let us know if you have any more questions …
Just paying it forward

If the lights were too close with the veg and bloom both on than yes it may have messed them up but they can both be on at the same time and not kill them nor negatively impact them much it’s just veg is more blue and bloom more towards the red spectrum.

Again what light fixture Brand / Model are you using now?
Sorry for the long post but hey I’m medicated lol

Hope this helps and HAGD

1 Like