No smell during flowering stage and at harvest!

When I grew in the past I knew nothing about PH levels, nutrients, temperature and humidity, autoflower and photo period. Well everything we need to know in getting big yields and healthy genetics!! (etc., etc.)
The seeds I got free from friends and there basically was no cost in growing plants.
With that limited knowledge, and from germination to seedling and then to transplant into a 5 gallon pot(bucket) I grew some awesome plants that at harvest gave me some super sticky buds that gave off a strong aroma!
Not much maintenance to it, just watering them every 2-3 days!
ā€œI did not use or need nutrients to get them as healthy as they wereā€!

Charcoal filters were made to hide or not to draw attention to what you were doing in your own house! It was to absorb the molecules released by a flowering plant through your ventilation system and exhausted out where it could no longer be smelled by neighbors and public alike!!

I have had my charcoal filter for over 3 years now because I have never had need for one due to my plants which I now grow in a grow tent indoors not ever putting out that aroma Marijuana plants are known for!
My plants, as seen in the pictures I have posted meet everything growers wish of their plants, but one thing missing from that beautiful and healthy flowering plant is the smell(aroma)!!
I do not believe it has anything to do with NUTRIENTS!! I never used it when growing them outdoors in the past!!!

The thing you canā€™t see is, me trying everything I could think of in finding the answer to my problem and that included everything that has been shared by my fellow growers before I decided to post it on ILGMā€™s Forum!!

NEXT PERSON PLEASE!!!

The buds from the plants I grew indoors did not have any taste to them, only a little bit of harshness.

I learned in a Science experiment in school was that if you have no smell then you will not have taste!
We blindfolded a classmate and put a clothespin on their nose and fed them some precut fruits and onions. When I fed them a cube of an onion I asked if they could tell what it was. Their answer was that they did not know!
What my teacher wanted us to learn was that out of all our senses, 2 of then stood hand in hand, sense of smell and the sense of taste! Without the sense of smell, there will be no taste!! And that is how I feel about flowering Marijuana plants!! It was proven, in a sense(no pun intended) in my classroom!
Charcoal filters were made for indoor grow tents, to hide that you were growing Marijuana right next door to your neighbors. So using a indoor grow tent and a charcoal filter means that flowering plants are known to put out that distinct aroma. So where are my fellow growers that use indoor grow tents and what might you be doing different that has your plants putting out their beautiful flowering aroma??
I have tried for over 3 years and grew over 12-15 different strains that included autoflowers and photoperiod with the same results! No Aroma from any of them!!
Thank you to all that have posted their answers, but I have tried and experimented with them all ā€œbefore posting on this Forumā€!!!

Okay Newbie84, since it seems like you are growing with an indoor grow tent and achieving that beautiful aroma from your grow, can you share with me more on how you are growing yours so that I may pick up from it my mistake that has mine not releasing that awesome aroma!!

I believe with your technique I may find what I am not doing right and make the corrections needed so that I also may enjoy my harvest day and that sweet smell of success!! (LOL)

Mine is kind of simple In a way. I grow using happy frog soil or oceans farms. Start adding nutes once it hits flower stage. ( Iā€™ve used Jacks 321) and then keep my temps between 75-80 and humidity around 50% until harvest. Watering when needed (mine was about every 2 days in my plastic pots and was about 1 gallon of water for my 3 gallon pots). That was pretty much it just keeping an eye on it making sure the temps and stuff are right :person_shrugging:

I hear you on lighting. Iā€™ve added additional arrays of far red and UVA to my tent to better mimic old sol.

1 Like

I grow in a tent but ive never had this problem before

2 Likes

Hey @jamessilva so I gather that any weed from your indoor grow is not aromatic to you.
Itā€™s time for more information in a concise form that we can analyze better.

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can. If you are not sure, just bring it to our attention. We will figure it out.

1. Indoor or outdoor? - size of grow?
  2. Otigin of seeds?
  3. Regular, feminized, or autoflower?
  4. Origin of water. PH, EC/TDS of source water?
  5. PH and TDS/EC of if mixed solution?
  6. Grow method? Soil, Soil-less, Coco, Hydro, Aquaponics. Please explain.
  7. Nutrients or fertilizer system used.
  8. What typr of lighting are you using? LED, HID (MH, CMH, HPS), or Fluorescents? Please elaborate.
  9. What are the temps in your growspce? Day / Night?
  10. What is the RH = relative humidity in your growspace? Day / Night?
  11. AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier?
  12. Do you have a Ventilation system? Size? 4", 6"?
  13. Co2 Yes / No?
  14. How long have you been growing?
  15. What budget have you set in order to grow successfully?
  16. If you grow hydro, then please explain your hydro method. DWC, R-DWC, Ebb and Flow, Or; Other? Other?

16b. Size and temperature of solution in reservoir?

Always try to upload a clear picture in white light of any issues you may have to allow the community to identify your issue.

Anything you feel would help us give you more informed advice should be included. Feel free to elaborate at the end of the survey.

Hereā€™s a little nug that has a bit of smell from my grow last year.

Grant you I canā€™t say itā€™s the best but in my state we get thrown in the hoosegow if they catch us.
So I have to just live with these nasty old homegrown dirt weeds.

1 Like

Weā€™ll, you just keep believing what you want then. That was then, this is now! So, keep on playing with your little grow and when you get serious about listening to someone that knows what the hell theyā€™re doing, give us a shout. In the meantime smoke your odorless Reggie. Cheers :clinking_glasses:

I grow exclusively indoors. Different plants have different odor levels, most of mine have been so freaking LOUD that they overwhelm the charcoal filter. My sister could smell my upstairs grow tent from the front door.

The only time I couldnā€™t smell them was when I had covid, and the weeks immediately after. I HAVE noticed that Iā€™ve lost the ability to detect certain scents, but I can smell others.

I was sick in early May, and itā€™s just within the past two weeks that Iā€™ve regained my ability to smell sweat. Oh joy. I couldnā€™t smell coffee for over a month.

I wouldnā€™t write off prior covid immediately.

BTW, very few of the strains Iā€™ve grown this year smell like skunk or pine, which were the two most common scents of ā€œold schoolā€ weed. Mine tend to smell spicy, sweet, or like fruit.

Try touching a bud and smelling your fingers. And ask someone else to sniff your plants.

1 Like

You sarcastic bastard!! I do not even bother smoking my product because of the issue, but I get my tasteful buds from a buddy of mine that grows his plants outdoors which is very sticky and has an awesome aroma while I resolve the issue of my crops not releasing any smell while it is flowering and when I harvest them!

Here is a prime example of one of my experiments with The Banana Kush Auto.
I germinated 3 seeds and at 5 weeks old I gave one plant to a friend of mine to grow outside. At 6 weeks of growing I told him to flush the soil and harvest it when it reaches 8 weeks. This information was given for that strain at that time. (Autoflowers are now set at 10-14 weeks, where they will be ready to harvest)
At the 8 week mark I offered him to share it 50/50. In just that 3 weeks he grew it for me the plants buds were so sticky with the strongest aroma coming from it.
We compared the 3 Banana Kush Autoflower plants and all 3 Sister plants were Identical in looks but my 2 that I grew indoors in a grow tent had little stickiness and did not release any aroma from it.
The only difference between the 3 plants was my friend growing the one outside under the sun for 3 weeks of itā€™s 8 week life.
I used the same soil and same nutrients in all 3 identical looking potted plants!!
So give me your diagnosis of what I have just shared, is the problem of why my 2 that I grew indoors, never released any aroma from the beautiful big healthy buds that grew on them!!

FIZ, could I see how you are growing your plants starting from seedlings to harvest that way I may see where my problem is at and correct it.
I would really appreciate it!!

1 Like

Hereā€™s my journal for my last grow. Fizā€™s second grow

I am still a new grower. The grow Iā€™m showing here was 5 plants.

I knew when my plants were in flower this time because I could smell the funk. Usually, teenage plants start to have odor - like teenage humans.

Sorry, itā€™s a bit long.

Name calling? Really? No wonder you canā€™t grow. Like I said, enjoy your Reggie.

I am going to explain something to you. You are too quick to judge and miss what is really in front of you!!

I have a friend that has property and grows his plants outside, ā€œalong with letting me grow a few on it as wellā€!!
These plants grow beautiful, sticky and with a strong awesome aroma!!
I also have my grow tent, but that is where my problem lies!
Outside I can grow awesome smelling buds, but in an indoor grow tent in my house I am trying to duplicate the outside environment the best way I can and use the same growing technique as I do outside, but this is where my issue is about my buds not putting out that aroma that the ones I am growing outside are putting out, and is the reason why I posted it on the Forum!!

Donā€™t you feel like an @ss now?? LOL.

interesting how your choice of a word to describe COVID tells the whole story about your politics

1 Like

I would say donā€™t judge a book by its cover. If I was using HLG gear you might come to that conclusion.

So what did you figure out about the missing aroma??

I didnā€™t! I am still stumped! Like I was explaining a couple times, my friend allows me to grow a few plants outdoors with his grow and we get beautiful results here in Hawaii. But I have a indoor grow tent in one of my bedrooms and applying the same growing techniques as the ones on my friends property, from the same soil, nutrients, etc. The only difference is the light source, the Sun and indoors I am using a MarsHydro SP6500 which was recommended by someone at MarsHydro per the dimensions I had given them of the square footage of my grow tent.

Iā€™ve had this happen, so yeah, whatā€™s up with it.
My data logs have shown it line up at strange momentsā€¦low humidity and high heat is what I chalked it up toā€¦ Microscope showed scorched trichomes, as in laying over, or broke offā€¦
Whenever it happened beyond 5/6 weeks in flower, they would not recouperate The aromasā€¦ Early in flower say 1st to 5thwk, and they seemed to swing back the dank at the ripening stageā€¦ Anyways, a good honest dry and cure will situate the internal terps locked deep at the stemā€¦i usually can get back bag aroma

Ok, to add ā€¦what i joted in my notesā€¦ I wrote
ā€œDid i cook the terps when i painted her nails, or was the humidity too low when the lights hit 60 DLIā€?