No roots on clones

I’ve had clones on vermiculite for 2 weeks. Leaves growing out quite a bit. Had used a clone dip. Why no roots? Too much light/leaves??

Did you clip the fan leaves in half when planting them. Basically.snipping the tips off?

2 Likes

Also, are they domed and being misted a few times per day?

May have been too much moisture.

3 Likes

If in strait vermiculite it’s going to take a while for roots because it holds alot of water/moisture so the roots don’t have to go far for water and food

2 Likes

I have allot of success, most times 100%, unless the clone was too scraggly and thin to start with.
Some strains do better than others (never clone autoflower).

1. I use small plastic bathroom cups with holes for drainage.
  2. Coarse agricultural vermiculite 25%, 75% perlite.
    3 Clones are cut, the wound immediately dipped in water/solution to prevent air embolisms, then the base scraped with industrial razor blade (helps absorption) then trim it down to 50% of it’s vegetation (large fan leaves not trimmed tend to put the clone in more danger of twisting and snapping roots). Place the clone in the cup that’s been watered with a hole made in the center using a tool of the correct diameter. Place the clone in the hole and press the dampened medium tightly around it to stabilize it from moving freely, twisting, and breaking newly formed roots.
    I use flowering formula deluded 50% with 10 ml. 3% H202 added to 2 liters solution. In a 1gal. black bucket with plastic fish basket to hold the clones at the proper water level and still maintain a decent reservoir beneath the plastic flat bottom fish filter basket that fits the plastic reservoir bucket, the water level in not to exceed half way up the clone cups, kinda like doing cut flowers in a vase, they’re kept partly submerged, should the water level drop too low and not reach the cups they will surly wilt quickly and shortly thereafter die. My clones don’t wilt from cutting to rooting, they stay perked up and very much alive through the entire ordeal.
    I place them directly under the light with no dome or barrier, the intense light promotes circulation and the creation of vital sugars and hormones to build the root system and keeps the immune system functioning. I use flower formula, the increased P ratio helps build roots and inhibits N buildup. Refresh H2O2 every 4 to 5 days.
  3. One week to 10 days later I move them into a watering tray with dome and half strength flowering formula with H202. They usually show roots shortly thereafter and transplanted on dry cycle, wet stands a good chance of breaking roots by having the medium fall apart from the added weight.

That’s my 2 cents, hope I didn’t leave anything out!

1 Like

What is the purpose of this?

Since the plant has no roots it has to absorb moisture thru the leaves.

2 Likes

I’ve never done this. Learn something new everyday. Of course I’ve had 100% success my way

1 Like

Yup, domed.

According to this great information from everyone, they’re way too moist and have no need to root. That, and the straight vermiculite is too dense. Is it possible I can transplant these ones into the proper environment or do I need new ones? Thanks everyone!!

1 Like

As long as they arent sickly you could try. What’s it gonna hurt.

2 Likes