"No Red Light" treatment

I’ve been doing a little bit of research on increasing terpenes and resin with high output uva/uvb and I came across this light company that claims it has contracts with USDA and has a study on a technique using “no red light” the last 72 hours of flowering increasing terpene and tricomes production and thus increasing THC/CBD

Here’s the study what’s your thoughts of input?

On this topic
I used supplemental highoutput uva/uvb T5 light “flower power” and have increased production of resin and tricomes dramatically

8 Likes

Interesting. @dbrn32 @1BigFella @Aolelon would enjoy at least taking a look.

1 Like

That’s not really anything new. A lot of hps growers will switch back to mh inside of last week of harvest for those results. But that’s moving from like no blue light to a lot of blue light and still has reds. We don’t really need to do that with led or something like cmh either.

I know the cost per umol on those lights is ridiculous, and their light spectrum doesn’t appear to be much different than a lot of the typical panels available on Amazon.

There’s also some pretty good independent studies about the effects of green wavelengths, check oxford 2009 I think. And I can’t help but notice they don’t target that.

2 Likes

The way I see it, reducing the “red” is no different to “adding the blue/UV”, the net effect would be the same regarding the ratios of IR/Red light and UV/Blue light. The difference is that the overall light intensity will go down rather than up and that’s an obvious issue.

The study said “no noticeable effect” on THC and the other cannabinoids, effectively saying that the “no red light” is a non-starter in the manner they tested, by switching off the “reds” on their blurple lights and therefore lowering an already-dodgy-for-the-price output and intensity. To know for certainty, we would need some sort of “luminosity standard” so the “output” would remain the same when switching colour, for you cannot say a study says anything by not eliminating variables, and switching off a large chunk of the light the plant had been receiving is a ruddy huge variable that cannot be ignored, rendering the study absolutely useless.