No luck w/indoor DWC considering switching to organic soil

No, the thermometer is just a thermometer

There are outlets on it to plug in a chiller and a heater. A good water chiller costs around $300 at low prices. I made one for about $70 but need to modify it. It keeps my temps around 71 which is still too high.

OK, now I understand. A water chiller is floor standing (and agree they’re way too expensive) not one that lays in the reservoir. Do you know of a submersible chill/heat element that I can connect to Moe?

btw when the bottom leaves fall off, are they smokable? I cant imagine there being any significant levels in them…

I have no idea. I imagine probably not, otherwise someone would have told me to keep all the ones I’ve pruned over the past month. :rofl:

The closest thing I’ve found is called the “Ice Probe” - it’s $200 on Amazon and looks like you insert the chilling tip straight into the reservoir and leave the remainder outside the res. I almost did that, but decided to try my hand building one first. Honestly if I could re-do the chiller thing from square one, I’d have started with higher quality parts and a larger build, but otherwise my chiller works well at mitigating the afternoon heat.

As far as submersible heat generation, my water pump has done enough generating of heat that I’m not concerned when winter hits at all.

Seems to me I remember smoking nothing but leaves as a teen, never saw a bud, just stems and seeds. As for water temp I think I’m ok now by adjusting the house temp and opening the grow panel (lights on) and closing it (lights off). new leaves are appearing where the bottom ones have fallen, plants at 8" and seem very happy. I have gone to a 2 week res change starting last this week because I was going through a lot of nutes. when should I bump up the bloom from 1/8th dose to 1/4 dose? cal/mag dosage from 1/10th? more as it happens

9/8 just did a res change after 2 weeks and noticed blueish-green algae(?) on the sides of the bucket and in the roots. (I had a video but it was too large to share from my phone). I sprayed the roots with h2o2/h2o as always and rinsed them 3x in r/o water. I figured if it was algae then it was a light issue and have covered the lids in mylar and will try another 2 week res change. I’m very happy w/the growth spurts, and waiting for “stretch” to start his 4th set of true leaves before moving him to the adult table (grow room) haha.

2 Likes

Be sure to add hydroguard back into your res after using the H2O2 - it will have killed any beneficial bacteria in your roots the same as any bad nasties.

1 Like

Full strength hydroguard, 1/8 dose bloom, 1/10 dose cal/mag, root spray and pH down are always part of my res change. I just noticed the wooden stakes used to mark the strain are stained so I removed them from the mesh cup.

1 Like

Has anyone tried to grow 2 plants per 5 gall bucket in dwc?

1 Like

I wouldn’t try it. One 5gal bucket is barely big enough for a good sized plant. I would try 2 in a 27 gallon tote but I would say each plant should have its own 5gal.

1 Like

I actually did try that once - just once. You don’t want more than one per bucket. :grin:

1 Like

Thanks, I won’t even try it. Here’s are photos of the algae(?) in my roots, should I be concerned? I did a res change yestiddy, sprayed the roots like normal, let it sit for 15 mins and rinsed them 3x in r/o water. yes I added hyrdoguard like always w/a res change. I figure if it’s algae it’s a light problem and covered the lids w/mylar. hopefully that will resolve the issue?

1 Like

1 Like

@peachfuzz is my resident “how bad is this root rot?” Expert.

If it still isn’t stinky or slimy, you may just be seeing root staining from the nutes you’re using.

1 Like

If you washed-out the roots and they are still holding onto the trunk , than they should still have life left in them…
Is it your temps that are the issue…?
Algae won’t really hurt anything , they will just eat the food that you add and could starve the plant if it gets too out of control…
:v: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

2 days after reservoir change, adding hydroguard and nutes. 10" plant a little droopy. I raised the light up to 24" above the 10" (34") canopy
!droopy1|690x388](upload://3JwhODqd5uuckuOuA7HPleNIsnp.jpeg)

Any idea what your water temperature is in there?

1 Like

And what are you using for an air pump…?
What size of pump and what size air stone’s…?
:v: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I second @Graysin and @peachfuzz check those… :grin::v: Edit sorry at what rate per gallon on the hydroguard? 2ml is recommended but I’ve put 10ml in three gallons of solution - it will not hurt at the rate.

2 Likes

I’m using a 5w dual outlet non submersible air pump (on top of the lid)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/363275494539
Also using white airstones (the gray ones just dissolved)
https://www.walmart.com/orders/4762193109447

My TDS tester tells me the lights off temp is 78.9, lights on 81.6 even with house temp at 77 and the grow room door panel open for lights on. So if you had to do your chiller project over, what changes would you make and why? fyi - I swapped buckets because the large one is droopy, also lowered the light from 24" to 20"

1 Like