No luck w/indoor DWC considering switching to organic soil

I will try this order, I’m assuming they can all be mixed together in the same cup? or does each one need to be added to the res individually? I always shake the nutes before adding to the cup and then stir each nute again in the cup.

Depends on the seed. Do you have them somewhere warm and dark, and are you keeping the rockwool moist?

I gave @Mr_Wormwood some Zkittlez seeds and I feel like they took a good 7 days to crack and give him a tail. I may be mistaken but it felt like ages.

1 Like

Like @HappyHydroGrower said the nutes need to be mixed in a proper order otherwise you will lockout the nutrients from the roots. After I add the nutrient I always give it a thorough stir, enough that I always make a mess on the floor :man_facepalming:

1.Armor Si
2.Cal/Mag
3.Other Nutes
4.Hydroguard

I check my PH at this point in my DWC. Then add PH down (usually, ok all the time, never had to use PH up :grinning: ) You will prob also want to mix the nutes in more than 4 oz of water. I mix up an entire 5 gallons of new nute mix in a seperate 5 gallon container, drain the old nute mix from the res, and finally add the fresh nute mix to the res.

This may also be a prob. Try every ten days if you can & see if it helps. I change my res. every week & once the ladies get larger I have to supplement the nute mix at least once a week from transition to flower thru the end of the grow cycle. :v:

3 Likes

To germ: PREVIOUSLY I set each seed in a a shot glass with R/O water and keep it a warm dark place for 72 hours (per ILGM website). btw - I would soak the seed for 72 hours even if the seeds grew tails before the 72 hour period.
To sprout: PREVIOUSLY I would set a mesh cup (w/hydrocore under the the rockwool) in a glass of r/o water and splash water from the glass to the underside of the mesh cup onto the hydrocore daily. Of course this was after the seeds had grown tails.
NOW: I soak seeds for 24 hours w/or w/o tails (in this case w/o). My next res change will be in 1 week until my chiller is up and running then I’ll go to 10 days.

“Always mix:
Armor Si first! Stir extremely well.
Calmag stir well.
Add nutes. Stir some more.”

As for adding nutes, I understand adding them in a specific order is important. Do I add the nutes 1 at a time instead of all together? if so, how long do I wait between adding each nute? 10 minutes? 1 hour? 1 day? I will continue to shake and stir each nute when adding them to the 16oz cup or must I add them one after the other? and of course swirl the res after adding to the res.

fyi - the chiller part is in country.

2 Likes

I mix one gallon of water with enough nutes for the whole system’s amount of solution. I stir in the silica about 45 seconds then Cal mag same stir time - etc. Then I dump it in. :grin::v:

1 Like

Always stir in between each. It really does make a difference in hydro. You got this! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

1 Like

My old yellow pH tester died so now I am using the pH/TDS/EC aio tester. Did a res change today, added amor si for a 1 min stir, cal/mag another minute, and the rest. I stopped using hydrogard and decreased hydro gro from “aggressive” dose to “mild”. checked the pH and it was way off low 300’s until I ph upped it to 600. Here’s the only surviving plant.

wth?

1 Like

Something is still off.

Wanna fill out another support ticket from scratch? That might help us figure it out.

Include water temperature (whether you are using a chiller again or not), and a picture of the roots.

Uhhhh….
pH should be 5.8 for hydro. 6.5 for soil.

Do you mean that you added PH Up to your res until you had 600 PPMs…?

1 Like

That idea is cool for saving them! I cant stand to let kill them.

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed? Beginner Feminized Autoflower (5 each AK47, White Widow, Bubblegum)

• Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
3 self contained DWC hydroponics with 3ea-5gallon black buckets/lids, 3 variable flow vivosun submersible pumps, 5ea-5watt dual outlet air pumps with 1" white air stones and 1ea 4" round air discs

• PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable) I check the pH daily keep it 5.90-6.00

• PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable PPM (I assume is the pH level on my new tester that I just started using this weekend) 5.90-6.0; EC-1049;

• Indoor or Outdoor-grow is indoors, no windows

• Light system-HLG 350R Diablo 16hours on/8 hours off

• Temps; Day, Night- 76-78 w/lights on at night thru morning at the cola; res temp 69.8 with chiller set at 68 w/lights on

• Humidity; Day, Night-ranges from 40% w/the house air conditioning on, 65% with a/c off windows in house open

• Ventilation system; , No-Yes; Yes; Size - 1ea 4" inline intake 195cfm fan on 24/7, 1ea 4" inline exhaust 195cfm fan on 16 hours/off 8 hours; 1ea 16" oscillating fan not set to oscillate because of the light location; 1ea room 750cfm ceiling fan in the room just outside the grow, on as needed

• AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,- house a/c floor vent in the room outside the grow at 77deg when house gets to be 79deg or higher; no humidifier

• Co2; Yes, No- no

If growing Hydro some additional questions:

-DWC? RDWC? Autopots? Ebb and Flow? Other? DWC, 3 self contained res
-Distance of liquid below net pot (DWC)-2"
-Temperature of reservoir-76-78deg with lights on 16 hours
-TDS of nutrient solution-598ppm in 3.5gallons of water

-Amount of air to solution- 1-2ea 5w dual outlet air pumps with 1" white air stones and 1ea-4" air discs

Do you mean that you added PH Up to your res until you had 600 PPMs…? - If you mean 6.00 then yes this weekend using the aio tester, TDS/PPM steady at 5.98

Grow room - 3’x5’x7.5’

1 Like

So PPM, EC, and TDS are all the same thing (measuring the dissolved solids in your reservoir). Your pH is totally separate.

Can you take a pic of the tester you have? I’m seriously concerned that we have no idea what your pH is.

Or link it - or tell me the brand/model?

That’s way too hot for your reservoir water. I know you know. I just feel the need to say it, while also knowing that you already know. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

76-78 is temp at the cola, not the res. res water is 69.8 with the chiller set at 68

1 Like

That’s why I worried.

Can ya tell me about your all-in-one?

That’s not a pH meter at all, my friend.

I highly suggest something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ENFOHN8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_AXEBAHK2SYSC66CQQ4NS?psc=1

The root rot is killing the plant. :v::sunglasses:

1 Like

$73 seems a little steep. Here’s the exact tester I bought that was advertised as a pH/TDS/EC tester. Basically I was lied to on this tester!

https://www.amazon.com/Baifeng-Digital-Tester-Aquarium-Monitor/dp/B08GH38PR2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1Y29PSIJ61IAN&keywords=ph+tester+digital&qid=1640791591&sprefix=ph+tester%2Caps%2C90&sr=8-1

Here’s what I’m buying (this time with calibration powders)

1 Like

That tester is not reliable at all. We have all seen them fail over and over again.

Please don’t try it. Get an Apera 20 at least. It comes with calibration solution and is so much more accurate.

2 Likes

Too late, already ordered. But I will order the $73 tester kit as a backup when this one fails. btw Merry Christmas and have a safe New Year!

1 Like

I hate to be a buzz kill about the meter. But, they will give you a reading, just not an accurate reading.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well. Stay safe! :+1: :v: :sunglasses:

1 Like