No dumb questions?

A friend asked me if a partial harvest of just the mature top buds would allow a plant to continue ripening the less mature lower buds. Told him I’d never heard of it and it didn’t sound like a good idea but I would put the question to the forum.

1 Like

I do it all the time. Never had any trouble.

7 Likes

Interesting, Thanks @MidwestGuy.

1 Like

Agreed, a common practice especially for indoor. Parts of the plant will ripen at different rates due to inherent issues with artificial lighting.

4 Likes

Just like tomatoes, (or a thousand other plants), pick the ripe ones and wait for the next ones.

7 Likes

I utilized this technique this grow. I have 2 sativa’s that are taking a couple weeks longer so I’m letting the undercarriage ripen up.

It is traumatic so I’m letting an eye out for nanners.

1 Like

I’ve had a couple of plants start showing nanners late the the grow. It happened on my last grow. She was harvested the day after nanners popped up.

1 Like

I would be so upset to have a selective harvest pollinate my 2 largest plants :joy:

1 Like

Hi, I am new to growing and had to harvest a few branches early due to poor pruning (i.e., I didn’t know to do it) early in summer. Now I am drying those braches in the hope that they may be usable somehow. But, I am drying in a big garage with large humidity fluctuations (as high as 80 and as low as 34%), so it appears to be becoming brittle too quickly. This is a photo from just a few days of drying. What to do? Thank you!
Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 4.48.24 PM

You can try sealing them in a container of some kind. If they have any moisture left in them it will help.

Old school was to put flower in a large paper grocery bag. I currently use clear totes with tight lids and a hygrometer to monitor: seal lid over night, check RH then remove lid for several hours and repeat. This has to be done with almost dried flower to prevent mold.

2 Likes

And if they were over dried then they will still be crispy after 12-24 hours so that method will tell the tale either way. There are conflicting opinions about whether rehydration works or not. I have no experience there except back in the day trying to revive an extra dry quarter of bud with a little corner of a clean dish sponge dampened then squeezed out and into a jar for a couple hours. It usually made the buds kinda gummy and was basically not the result I was going for. @Myfriendis410 certainly knows far more than I do and hopefully can help settle the debate whether rehydration can revive the curing process or it’s done move on and try to get it right next time.

1 Like

And welcome to the forum community!

1 Like

It kinda depends on how dry. If it’s too far gone you are probably out of luck. The terpenes will suffer first in my experience.

A couple of fresh cannabis leaves in the jar will also help to rehydrate.

2 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like