No dumb questions?

A friend asked me if a partial harvest of just the mature top buds would allow a plant to continue ripening the less mature lower buds. Told him I’d never heard of it and it didn’t sound like a good idea but I would put the question to the forum.

1 Like

I do it all the time. Never had any trouble.

7 Likes

Interesting, Thanks @MidwestGuy.

1 Like

Agreed, a common practice especially for indoor. Parts of the plant will ripen at different rates due to inherent issues with artificial lighting.

4 Likes

Just like tomatoes, (or a thousand other plants), pick the ripe ones and wait for the next ones.

7 Likes

I utilized this technique this grow. I have 2 sativa’s that are taking a couple weeks longer so I’m letting the undercarriage ripen up.

It is traumatic so I’m letting an eye out for nanners.

1 Like

I’ve had a couple of plants start showing nanners late the the grow. It happened on my last grow. She was harvested the day after nanners popped up.

1 Like

I would be so upset to have a selective harvest pollinate my 2 largest plants :joy:

1 Like

Hi, I am new to growing and had to harvest a few branches early due to poor pruning (i.e., I didn’t know to do it) early in summer. Now I am drying those braches in the hope that they may be usable somehow. But, I am drying in a big garage with large humidity fluctuations (as high as 80 and as low as 34%), so it appears to be becoming brittle too quickly. This is a photo from just a few days of drying. What to do? Thank you!
Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 4.48.24 PM

You can try sealing them in a container of some kind. If they have any moisture left in them it will help.

Old school was to put flower in a large paper grocery bag. I currently use clear totes with tight lids and a hygrometer to monitor: seal lid over night, check RH then remove lid for several hours and repeat. This has to be done with almost dried flower to prevent mold.

2 Likes

And if they were over dried then they will still be crispy after 12-24 hours so that method will tell the tale either way. There are conflicting opinions about whether rehydration works or not. I have no experience there except back in the day trying to revive an extra dry quarter of bud with a little corner of a clean dish sponge dampened then squeezed out and into a jar for a couple hours. It usually made the buds kinda gummy and was basically not the result I was going for. @Myfriendis410 certainly knows far more than I do and hopefully can help settle the debate whether rehydration can revive the curing process or it’s done move on and try to get it right next time.

1 Like

And welcome to the forum community!

1 Like

It kinda depends on how dry. If it’s too far gone you are probably out of luck. The terpenes will suffer first in my experience.

A couple of fresh cannabis leaves in the jar will also help to rehydrate.

2 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Update: so I shared some of this with a friend and he said it was good but tasted like tobacco. Does that mean the terpenes were all gone?

Probably not all but aging and heat can alter the flavor for the worse. Bud that’s degraded from aging develops a taste and smell that reminds me most of raid fly spray. Could be a completely different reason. Hard to say because many factors determine the flavor. If it’s just too unpleasant to smoke you could find a different use for it like edibles.