Nitrogen in flower stage question

Hi gardeners, on double checking my nutrients (Aptus Base), I’m wondering if the total nitrogen of 4% is too high for the flower stage? I noticed that the other brands I use, Ozi Magic Grow Juice and Canna Terra Pro, have much lower levels in their flowering nutes. I grow in a Canna Terra Pro potting mix.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

Pre flower, flowering or late flowering?

i assume the bottle reads 4-11-6

I use Jacks 321. In Flower the N ratio is 10 ot 7. so

• Jack’s 10-30-20 Bloom 1 kg bag
  • Jack’s 7-15-30 Finisher 1 kg bag

Im still new though so I don’t know if that was confusing hope it helped :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks man. I just wonder if 4% total nitrogen seems overly high to be feeding all the way thru from veg to flower.

1 Like

Nitrogen is particularly important during the first 4 weeks when the plant’s growth is at it’s most rapid. Cannabis can double in size during these weeks and nitrogen is what feeds that growth.

The typical cannabis ratio is 20-10-20. Feed the plant in the recommended proportions and adjust as necessary to maintain a runoff PPM of ~1,000.

3 Likes

I used to use Advanced Nutrients Iguana Grow and Bloom.
Bloom is 4-3-6
however, bid bud supplement adds 7-11-22

Personally I think it is low. Any other flower add ons?

4 Likes

That’s what I was going to ask as well @beardless
You said this was a base nutrient mix, but are there other bottles or amendments the the brand you are using recommends?

2 Likes

The bloom nutes i use NPK 3 12 6 works fine for me. Good luck :v:

1 Like

@beardless and @MattyBear thanks both.

This is the brand I use.

I use it with the Aptus CalMag as per the recommendations and with a potash and boron based bloomboost during flower. The base + CalMag is a start to finish product recommended for veg to flower. But everywhere I read says to reduce nitrogen during the flower phase not maintain it.

2 Likes

I tend to go with what the producer recommends. I figure they put the $$ into research, testing etc etc. In terms of its nitrogen percent it is fairly low and therefore should not be an issue. Many around here don’t back off N as others might. I guess I fall into this group too. I use Jack’s 321 or TAP from start to finish. Finish being a couple weeks before harvest. Then I run straight water. I may decrease N if I see fox tails. Other than that it is let it rip

4 Likes

Typically you want to reduce or drop nitrogen at the end of flower and supply with a sulfur based product for finishing. I am running a modified Jacks schedule and finishing with calcium sulfate to keep calcium to the end while eliminating nitrogen

4 Likes

The plant still need a bit of nitrogen during flowering. P and K should be higher at this point. During late flowering nitrogen is not needed it.

2 Likes