Next steps after topping for a flat canopy?

I’m going to try topping an auto for the first time. From what I’m reading I’m taking off the six node ?

But what do I do from there? I want an even canopy ideally. So what would my next steps be for an auto after topping?

2 Likes

I like to leave the plant for a few days after toppin to let it heal up. Depending on what strategy to training you are taking ie: LST, scrog, or mainline. I usually remove bottom branches (usually they dont get as big) but for scrog you want alot of branches to fill a certain area.depending on your plant if its really leafy then cut the leaves under the branches to help promote branch growth. After a couple days or sooner, you will see growth occur again on branches. I tie branches down and try to keep all branches evenly away from each other (room to grow as they get bigger)

seen from pic. My lamp fell and broke off one branch after being topped( i will use for a clone)

Third pic is mainline. Alot of trainin chopping first 6 weeks of life but afterwards there is very littke pruning involved while buds mature. So there are many approaches you can take to train depending on what you want and how much work you make for yourself

2 Likes

third pic is white widow auto first two RuntZ feminized photos

Thank you. My goals are flat canopy for more even light and also to increase yields.

1 Like

Nice then I would recommend tying the branches down evenly so they’re evenly spaced and allow the other branches to grow up and do come into it and fi
Il your space

2 Likes

I usually let the branches grow and when they start budding keep the top three segments and strip all the rest of the branches below it giving the top buds more energy and all the light

I use garden ties zzip ties whatever to tie em down to b eveeven

6 Likes

@Tophr72 these are autos?? They look amazing.

1 Like

I FIMed a purple kush auto and it turned out pretty good in my opinion. I started the branch training 2 days later. Tied the branches to be flat out and kept training every other day. I should have taken off more of those lower flower sites but it was my first time. I did take off the lowest of branches that didn’t look like were going to get big and i cloned those for fun. They’re doing good actually only behind the mother by 2 weeks maybe 3. But here is the outcome of the FIM and training for an even canopy. Next time will be better.

@Tophr72 im loving that first pic in your last post. The way it looks like a :crown:. I want that. Haha

5 Likes

Yeah bro they’re white widow Autos from ilgm

2 Likes

Thanks thats a baby. My last grow i had a white widow auto weigh 302.9 grams

5 Likes

I haven’t never had any luck with fimmin. I just tried it on one baby runtz I had and all I ended up with is two half a leaves lol. Prolly not done right but I never understood fim and vers topn I just topped it

1 Like

@Tophr72 I see I need something to tie them too? I get overwhelmed sometimes lol. I wish I could just let them grow naturally but I want to max my yield. Here’s my current tent. I really just trim up to top three bud sites on branches and take some leaves. Maybe I’m over defoliating. Idk.

3 Likes

That’s a marijuanas natural thing it’s called a apica dominance what that does is gives all the plants energy to the one main top bud. i top so that i have all the buds evenly along with tying them down so that the plant will give all the buds energy more evenly. thatswhy I like the top. I got into mainling because of every bud is identical and its all one main stalk. But my 302.9 i used like six eight branches just chopped all growth until top 3 site. I recomend kyle kushman man good techniques welcome to the world of growing cannabis

4 Likes

I don’t really want to tell you how to grow cuz there’s so many ways to grow marijuana I myself lollipop and defoliate quite a bit mainly I do fully 8 after they start budding because they don’t really need the leaves to grow during budding the buds are maturing the plants not growing just my belief

It is a lot of work though I have a Perpetual growing I sometimes let the large and medium leaves on the plant longer than they probably should be

Experimenting is the best teacher. I do a lot of research on YouTube maybe research mainlining and manifolding and it’s a lot of fun man good results good yield consistent results person named nebula haze I wouldn’t say invented it but coined the terms that we use today

4 Likes

@Tophr72 nebula haze is awesome. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I bought this on ebay pretty cheap. Before those I use the bread ties me and my girlfriend kept from the bread bags. I also reuse my tomato stakes the round works perfect. I swear if I came up with an invention that would someone needed to grow marijuana you could be a millionaire in this game

2 Likes

Omg, me too! I’ve tried twice and gotten leaves with haircuts. Not a fan!