Next Grow Suggestion

I am just finishing a grow of white widow autos and would appreciate your suggestions as to what to grow next. This is my second grow and wanting your help to avoid a few issues I encountered in my first grow. Namely, of the 4 WWAs, 2 of them grew to 54 – 56”. So, with the height of the pot, they are within 8” of the light. They really stretched and I assume it is due their Sativa heritage. The third plant is a very manageable 42” but still much larger than anticipated. These three are on day 81 and based on their trichomes, they have a way to go before they come down. The 4th one also grew to 42” and was harvested on day 71 (trichomes were cloudy with some amber). Because two of them grew so tall, the upper sugar leaves browned out (I assume calcium issue). I gave them cal-mag but it was too late. And to help reduce the heat from the light, I have left the tent door wide open even though I have two fans going.

Set up – 7’ 3X3 tent, Kind 3 XL600 LED, amended Fox Farm Ocean soil in Smart Pots, Fox Farm nutrient trio and cal-mag.

I have the following ILGM autos to choose from
White Widow, Amnesia Haze, Blueberry, Jack Herer and Northern Lights.
Based on your experience with these strains, which one would you recommend?
In addition, your input will be appreciated in deciding…
Number of plants?
What pot size? 3 or 5 gallons
Yes or no as to: LST, SCrog, Topping and Lollipopping

Looking forward to your replies and a successful grow based on your recommendations.

2 Likes

If you want to control height, use photo period plants instead. They are in fact easier to grow than autos IMO. You now have complete control over their height.

3 Likes

Jack herer is a kick ass strain! At least the photoperiod ones are! Not sure about the autos. However, I can attest to their stretch! I have a super og kush auto I have nicknamed “stretch Armstrong”. Lol

I am considering photos. My thinking is to build up some experience with autos before taking on photos. Maybe my thinking is incorrect.

2 Likes

Yeah; I’ve always wondered why autos were considered ‘easier’. I know a lot of other growers feel the same.

The problem with autos is you have to hit everything just right or they will stall out. With a photo you can diagnose, treat, and move on. If needed; veg for two weeks longer etc.

3 Likes

I am anxious to try the jack herer auto but I am thinking I will save it for an outdoor grow this spring / summer (because of its potential height).

1 Like

I’ve always found photos easier. I’d start there. Photos are not a finicky as autos. Autos tend to need closer observation. Imho.

1 Like

Bro go with some photo feminized seeds. You will not regret it. Just saying.

I have grown about 20 ILGM White Widow Autoflower and all were over 4 feet and 230+ grams of final product. Very consistent.

Try Blueberry Autos if you want short plants

:trident:

Any plant can be short if u train it to be. I have a ww photo in its 2nd week of flower. 10 weeks total. And it might be 24inchs tall. I just bent it’s top down and tied it around the top of the pot. Then when the other branches started getting tall i tied them down. LST. I have almost 20 colas forming on her now. Im expecting good things. Ur grow sounds massive though.

1 Like

I want to grow a jack, so that has my vote. 2 plants in a 3x3 with 7 gal fabric pots wit LST would be perfect in my opinion.

Thanks - good to know re WWA. I take this to mean you can be pretty aggressive (more aggressive than I was) with training, Scrogging etc.
Have you grown Blueberry autos? This is the strain I am strongly considering. Any comments, suggestions or warning will be appreciated.

1 Like

You can be a little aggressive. I top or fim once at node 4 then SCRoG or other LST.

Never grown a Blueberry Auto personally but have seen a few grows personally. They were small and bushy. You have more control over photos but I totally get why folks grow them (two outdoor crops per season, light leak indoors, etc.)

1 Like

Some of my WWA…

2 Likes

You can also top and auto in week 3 which can help with height.

is there a reason you want to grow autos? :slightly_smiling_face:

Inexperience, ignorance, intimidation.
As a newbie, I thought autos were simpler than photos. For some reason, I thought a strict light regimen would somehow be complicated. Well, I actually figured out how to set a timer daaa. I thought a shorter life cycle would make things less complicated, again, I think I can now handle changing the timer from 20/4 to 12/12. The thought of growing real weed was mystical. Actually, it is but I am up for the challenge.
I think I will do a batch of blueberry autos next (I have the seeds) then give ILGM a call for some photos.

1 Like

Thanks - I did that with 2 I have outside of the tent. They are both 36 - 38" with multiple main colas. Also applied LST as a learning exercise. I believe I could have been even assertive with them. It appears WWA can easily handle it.

2 Likes

My very first plant was a Photoperiod WW. She grew over 40” and was still a hog in the tent. It that was my very first grow and she came out better than expected.

As for strains…GSC, Blue Dream, Northern Light, Blueberry, and the list goes on and on. You have over 15000 strains supposedly to pick from. Blue Dream will be a staple in my growing cycle.

Oh yeah…Trainwreck and Bubba Kush I enjoyed. Afghani is a pretty strong one and I enjoyed it as well. Just grab a random strain and go with the flow. :+1:

1 Like

Yeah - multiply your hog X4 in a 3x3 and what I planned as an orderly scrog became a SOG / jungle. Today is Day 85 took some of the upper buds from a 2nd plant. I still have 2 that have a way to go so I will give it a little more time.