Newer Cannabis "trends" doing more damage than good?

Good morning everyone, first and foremost what I’m about to post is just my opinion from what I have seen from others around me.

So since I’ve started growing I’ve obviously had more talks about cannabis with people. My dad has always been against pot for the most part but he has come around to smoking or vaping it ( he doesn’t but he understands the benefit). My mom on the other hand was excited when she found out I was growing, she has had boyfriends who smoke even though she doesn’t etc.

What I have noticed and why I wanted to mention the above people is do the newer trends like dabbing etc paint the industry in a negative light? I mean you have torches and these big intimidating rigs and honestly it looks like someone is about to smoke crack out of it ( to those looking from outside in).
Then the whole point of the newer methods is to get THC as high as possible which hey by all means but does that look negative?
Reason I ask is I have seen more negative articles as of recent bringing these things to light. Even my mom who is 100% pro cannabis and loves to see my plants when she comes over for a visit she said those “crack pipe” looking things shouldn’t be allowed. Granted she doesn’t know anything about them but is this what the average person is thinking when they see someone ok YT with a torch and 4 foot rig with all kinds of bells and whistles firing up :person_shrugging:.

I personally don’t care, I don’t dab and it’s not for me but is this giving a negative view? Just trying to start some friendly discussion. I will admit, as someone trying to get into that advocacy side of things it seems to be an “issue” that could be raised whether or not it’s legitimate.

1 Like

you bring up an interesting topic… for me I think it is just what happens to some as they age…I personally think smoking the way it started thousands of years ago is the way to go…but I try to remain open for new ways and have tried a few but I always come back to the joint or pipe for the effect that I most like…the other ways you mention do give me a different effect, more of a drug effect and to me if I want that effect I will just take a pill…

4 Likes

I had just been sitting here thinking and I’m like man I keep seeing all these negative articles towards “the kids and high THC” or “dab rigs” or whatever but very few ofbthe negative things I was seeing or hearing from people were about smoking or vaping. I just thought it was interesting

I can see what you mean 100%. They look more like the lab that meth cooks use :rofl:. No offense to anybody!!!

For me, though, all those dab rigs are just too much work. I’ll DABble with them every now and again (see what I did there? Dab? Dabble? Get it? I’m too baked this morning). But just give me a plain 18" glass bong, or a nice hand bubbler. Don’t even bother getting out the entire science lab.

3 Likes

I’m a big stoner. Huge advocate. But I see kids and high THC together and I can only think “that’s a nono”. Younger people, particularly early 20’s and teens, aren’t at any kind of health risk necessarily, but it effects brain development. Not saying if you smoke at 15 you’re gonna turn to an artard, but there are links to depression and other things that can have a somewhat negative effect on adulthood.

1 Like

It’s funny to me that people get hung up on the delivery method of the same thing. THC is THC. Joint, dab, bong, vape, brownies… it all stems from understanding.

I’M IN NO WAY TRYING TO GET ONTO GUN CONTROL

But it’s similar to the people saying a wood handled semi automatic rifle is ok because it’s for hunting but “military looking” shouldn’t be allowed. They have the exact same function and capacity. I feel like it’s usually just a lack of understanding.

They being said… dab rigs freak me out. I would die :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

I agree with you ( I’m an FFL, firearms instructor/ counselor / 2A advocate/ and there are tons of similarities.

1 Like

The thing that worri s me though is optics of it. Same thing like a huge open carry rally might not be good optics compared to a conceal carry rally :person_shrugging:

I agree with what you are saying.
The public concept of cannabis users vs how drinking is generally portrayed is very different.

I know this is a huge over-simplification, but to many people these images are what they think of when Drinking vs Smoking weed is talked about.
There was a tv series called “Bong Appetite” that showed cannabis in a far more normal setting among real people.
Just like there are people who drink to excess and suffer for it, there are those who abuse weed. The responsible weed user doesn’t get a lot of good media coverage yet. Hopefully this will change as legalization continues. I may not live to see it, but I have hope.

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree with you more on that.

Reggae music is pro weed, and rap as well I guess. But all music glorifies drinking and booze partying like is good for you.

Strange to me. I have been in a handful of drunk fights… Never a stoned one. :rofl:

3 Likes

I agree with you as well 100%, also I am going to check out that show and see what it’s about. Hopefully it will change but who knows, it seems there is always some thing to villify in cannabis :person_shrugging:

1 Like

I think its on Hulu at the moment.

1 Like

No matter what we do there will always be haters. I’ve had to deal with the hate most of my life. People love to hate bikers, stoners and 2A. If you don’t fit into there mold your not moldable or acceptable. As for our fellow stoners, it’s not the hardware or THC or any number of satellite excuses. It’s the behavior and actions. Take the company I retired out of. We didn’t drug test. We expected you to conduct yourself as a adult and think. But dammed if candidates didn’t show up to job interviews baked. Showing up for a job interview stoned, really!!! Or show up to work, jobs or meetings with customers and engineering houses or manufactures stoned. Can’t have it. They would screw up so bad fellow stoners couldn’t help them. And if your so baked and worthless you have embarrassed fellow stoners in a industry full of stoners. What’s left to work with. Just think how bad that optic looks to the general public.

3 Likes

Let’s break this down. You say:

My dad has always been against pot for the most part but he has come around to smoking or vaping it”

Then you continue:

My mom on the other hand was excited when she found out I was growing, she has had boyfriends who smoke even though she doesn’t etc.”

So, dads against it. And mom has boyfriends that smoke and she’s excited!

There are a LOT of issues going on here besides the methods on how to ingest the weed.

1 Like

Lol they are divorced :rofl:.
My dad is older and has been in law enforcement for 45+ years as Chief so his views on cannabis have always been meh to say the least. He has warmed up to it in recent years but the optics of the new trends is pushing back the other way how he was before.
Same with my mom she is for cannabis even though she doesn’t use it and had talked about getting into opening a dispensary etc ( she’s a business woman) but she was asking me questions and mentioning a lot of the new methods etc. She approached me and asked me about dabs and etc etc. I explained it to her and she gets it but if someone who is typically pro cannabis is put off by these new trends, what if someone is on the fence or even anti cannabis?

1 Like