Newbie questions ... planning my setup

dude thats a tree

Can you be my mom lol jk but great advise you have given to @jmorse28
I can suggest you hang your filter in your tent on top and connect your filter to exhaust fan, and have some sort of flexible duct connected to the fan exhaust and route it out of your tent. It might smell during flower opening the tent up for a bit during watering but it should sidside when you close the tent and yourcloset up.

1 Like

Hey @jmorse28 have you considered an outdoor location
They can be more discreet than you think. Not sure how big your yard is but if you take up gardening as a hobby you work your cannabis in with your veggies and flowers which wil help camouflage your plants and help with smell too

1 Like

After looking around I think the best room would be my laundry / utility room. It would have to go next to the furnace. It stays nice and warm in there in the winter but isn’t hot in the summer. The sound of the furnace / ac should mask the sound of the fan running. Also, it’s in the middle of the house behind a steel door so smells shouldn’t be a huge problem. AND, the only people who go in there are me and my husband … who now knows that I’m putting together a grow tent.

Ok so I can’t get Happy Frog soil here. Not sure why but they won’t ship it to my state. Amazon says they only ship to FL, MO, and IN. Looks like I can get the Ocean Forrest though. Will that work just as well?

And what about this light? Will this do the job for a small 2’ x 2’ x 4’ tent?

https://www.amazon.com/VIPARSPECTRA-Reflector-Spectrum-Indoor-Plants/dp/B01B4GQ6MO?tag=greenrel-20

And this is the carbon filter with fan I’m looking at. Will this work for 1 small 2x2x4 tent with 1 super stinky plant?

https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Inline-Control-Australia-Charcoal/dp/B01MSEVQ3J/?tag=greenrel-20

Other than the PH up and down and a thermometer, I think I’m all set. I have:

nutrients
ph meter
ph up / down
tent
carbon filter with inline fan (if the one I’m looking at is ok)
regular fan
3 gal grow bags
soil (waiting to hear if Ocean Frost is ok)
LED full spectrum light (waiting to hear on that as well)

Am I forgetting anything? I want to make sure I have everything start to finish before I get started. Don’t want to get caught out there needing something and risking the plant’s health. Thinking of maybe getting some ONA gel too just in case it smells a lot. Using the laundry room I can put in an exhaust out of the tent but can vent it out of the house.

@Covertgrower any tips on my setup. And what is FIM? I was just following a journal of someone who is on their first WW auto and they kept mentioning FIMing.

1 Like

My yard is HUGE and basically all open space. No trees. Also, it stays pretty wet as we have a high water table. SO the only thing I grow out there is herbs like mint and such. I considered putting it where I have a big clump of lavender but the neighbors on that side are nosy and always standing on their deck looking over at my yard. Only other place I thought of was behind my shed but not sure it would get enough sun back there. If it starts to stink during flowering, that’s where I’m going to put it though.

That’s the plan now since I decided that I’m going to put it in the laundry room. The furnace is in there with ductwork so an extra duct won’t draw any attention. Going to put it back to where the hot water heater is.

So last night he goes to buy something on Amazon on my account and sees all this stuff in my cart and turns to me and says “what the hell are you up to??” So the cat is out of the bag. He’s not thrilled but he’s ok with it. Still won’t let me use the bathroom though. I have a totally wasted corner in my master bath that’s perfect be he’s scared the kids will see it. He took it surprisingly well though.

Where the heck did you keep this monster??? Did you grow this outside? I can’t believe that’s from one plant!

How long did you get away with it? My girl and me are curious?

Hey @jmorse28 first of all welcome to ILGM. Thanks for the tag. It looks like you have a lot covered.
The light, it’s not quite large enough for that space. Here’s the description. Flowering footprint is what you are looking for.
Compares to traditional 250 watt HPS/MH while consuming only 136 watts! Perfect for a 2x2’ vegetative coverage at 24” while 1.5x1.5’ flowering coverage at 18”.
Now I understand it’s a value price, and since you haven’t purchased a light yet, I would highly recommend purchasing a quantum board kit or a preassembled one. Yes it’s a bit more, but you’ll have far better results than any blurple grow light. @dbrn32 can get you covered on that if you let him know your budget for lighting is. If around $100 is your budget, just let @dbrn32 know.
Lighting SHOULD be the most important part of your budget of your grow, and unfortunately most of your budget. Just remember you’re growing inside, but you’re competing with the sun.

Fox farms ocean forest is great for most of your grow except seedlings. It can be done with seedlings, however some people have killed a few (won’t name any names) and others who have been successful have reported twisted growth, but they mature fine. Any soil recommended for seedlings will be fine. Very little, or no nutrients is kind of what you’re looking for. If you’re used to growing just about anything, FFOF I think would be fine. Don’t over water!

FIMing is where you chop the top part of the leaves after about the 4th to 5 knode, in hoping you get two tops.
You shouldn’t do this to an auto, but people do, and if done early enough they do fine. I have never grown an auto, but if I did I would leave it alone.
I hope this answers some of your questions you might have had. I’m 4 hours behind EST so if I’m late, I’m not, I’m just getting up. Lol. @dbrn32 will beat me tomorrow in this response, as he’s an hour behind EST. Not sure what state or time zone you might be in…
HAPPY GROWING! :smile:

1 Like

@dbrn32 can you help me put with the lights? My budget is prob around $100.

@Covertgrower Thank you for all the info. Will the 4" carbon filter with inline fan be ok if I just vent out the tent into the room? And is the furnace room an ok spot for my tent?

1 Like

Hello, and welcome to the group!

My understanding is that those photography bulbs are 45 watts actual power consumption right? Can you take a look and see what the color temp on them is?

Here’s my thought, if you have 225 watts of cfl and we can configure them to get the most out of them, you may be better off holding on to your $100 for now. There’s not a lot out there for $100 that will absolutely blow that kind of cfl output away in my opinion. The cfls aren’t as high yielding as hid or led lighting, but they do grow plenty healthy plants when used properly. So if you have a good mixture of color temps and we can get something to reflect the light over the top of them, may be worth trying that.

I’m currently working on a project that is building an led light on $100 budget. 2x2 would probably be about the ideal size for it. By building I mean drilling about a half dozen holes, sticking some leds on piece of aluminum with double sided heat transfer tape, and stripping a few wires. Definitely nothing you need to be an engineer to complete. Would something like that be an option?

I’d rather not take these bulbs apart as I am a photographer and may need them in the future. And the units they’re coming off of is like $500. Some of the bulbs are like $45 each. If it won’t mess up the bulbs then I’m fine using them. I believe I have 8 or 9. I’ll check the wattage and color temps.

Are these complete gatbage though or do I just need higher power like 600w?
https://www.amazon.com/VIPARSPECTRA-Reflector-Spectrum-Indoor-Plants/dp/B01B4GQ6MO?tag=ilovegrowingm-20

1 Like

No, they’re not garbage. They just leave a little bit on the table is all. What seems to happen for a lot of us is that we buy something like that and then end up spending twice as much on replacing later. I believe that’s all the others were trying to say.

If you seem pretty content with something like that, they grow weed just fine.

3 Likes

I just wonder if it’s fine because I’m never going to grow 4 plants at a time as I have to keep it really small. As it is, I plan to SCROG my first one so that it stays low and expands outward since I will only have 2x2x4 feet work with. I’ll check the info on the bulbs and get back to you in a bit.

1 Like

Ok so I have 3 of 90+ CRI 5500k 2700 lumens
and
5 of 45W 5500k 110v 60hz

That’s all the info on them.

1 Like

If you want a light upgrade, look at the new Quantum Boards. There’s a discussion going on about lighting under the thread “Let’s Talk DIY Lights” which I invite you to peruse before spending any money.

Running a scrog plays into the weakness in light penetration pretty well. You’d probably be fine with one of those type of panels if that’s the case. People with the meizhi brand seem to be pretty happy with them too, may be worth seeing if the price is any better for similar sized light.

1 Like

We could also probably check with @Donaldj to see if he feels either of the cob fixtures he’s using would work. I’m just not sure about height availability vs heat and footprint with them.

@jmorse28 the 4 inch carbon filter will be just fine. Do you have an exhaust fan picked out yet?
When you do pick one out, make sure it comes with a speed controller. It’ll keep some of the noise down a bit, and not draw the maximum wattage.
Glad you got some guidance on the light. I’m following along.