Newbie questions ... planning my setup

Hey @jmorse28 first of all welcome to ILGM. Thanks for the tag. It looks like you have a lot covered.
The light, it’s not quite large enough for that space. Here’s the description. Flowering footprint is what you are looking for.
Compares to traditional 250 watt HPS/MH while consuming only 136 watts! Perfect for a 2x2’ vegetative coverage at 24” while 1.5x1.5’ flowering coverage at 18”.
Now I understand it’s a value price, and since you haven’t purchased a light yet, I would highly recommend purchasing a quantum board kit or a preassembled one. Yes it’s a bit more, but you’ll have far better results than any blurple grow light. @dbrn32 can get you covered on that if you let him know your budget for lighting is. If around $100 is your budget, just let @dbrn32 know.
Lighting SHOULD be the most important part of your budget of your grow, and unfortunately most of your budget. Just remember you’re growing inside, but you’re competing with the sun.

Fox farms ocean forest is great for most of your grow except seedlings. It can be done with seedlings, however some people have killed a few (won’t name any names) and others who have been successful have reported twisted growth, but they mature fine. Any soil recommended for seedlings will be fine. Very little, or no nutrients is kind of what you’re looking for. If you’re used to growing just about anything, FFOF I think would be fine. Don’t over water!

FIMing is where you chop the top part of the leaves after about the 4th to 5 knode, in hoping you get two tops.
You shouldn’t do this to an auto, but people do, and if done early enough they do fine. I have never grown an auto, but if I did I would leave it alone.
I hope this answers some of your questions you might have had. I’m 4 hours behind EST so if I’m late, I’m not, I’m just getting up. Lol. @dbrn32 will beat me tomorrow in this response, as he’s an hour behind EST. Not sure what state or time zone you might be in…
HAPPY GROWING! :smile:

1 Like