Newbie - Plant leaves in Hydroponic system looking sick

1. Greenhouse covered with shade netting, Dutch bucket hydroponic system. 40 plants each in a 20 gallon drum.
  2. Bought seeds from a reputable seller in South Africa
  3. 20 Northern Lights Auto and 20 Girl Scout Cookie Auto’s
  4. Water comes from my borehole. PH is around 6.0 and PPM is around 1000
  5. PH and TDS/EC of if mixed solution?
  6. 20 Gallon buckets filled with Hydrocorn
  7. A local blend from a Hydroponics store called Nutriplex
  8. Natural sunlight during the day, and no lights yet. Temperatures are also around the 32 C
  9. 32 - 34 C during the day and 20 - 25 C at night
  10. No Humidifier
  11. This is my first grow.
  12. I grow hydroponically with the Dutch bucket system.
    16b. The reservoir holds 60 liters of water and the temperature in there is 30 C at the heat of the day.
1 Like

The leaves on some of the plants are also canoe shaped and going a light brownish colour.

I haven’t seen a system like this in a long time, is it possible to get a couple pictures of bucket layout? I think they’re very neat!

Your ph is a little on high end to sustain. I would try running like 5.7-5.8, when you see it creep up just adjust back down. Also wondering if you may have issue with dissolved oxygen levels in your solution. When solution temps get above 70f or 21c it doesn’t hold oxygen well and can be breeding ground for harmful bacteria. If your solution temp is getting near your ambient temp could cause some problems.

1 Like

3 Likes

I think @dbrn32 has you covered - ph of your water and water temperature of your main reservoir would be my two biggest areas of concern.

1 Like

1000ppm? Using what scale? Thats pretty high for autoflowers at this stage. I’ve grown some autoflowers in coco drain to waste that couldn’t take 1000ppm 2.0 EC in late flower. Numbers should be closer to 1.0 EC at this stage

1 Like

Awesome! I would maybe move lines off of the stems a little. Being right next to plant stem can inhibit root expansion and potentially cause stem rot.

1 Like

Good eye👍

1 Like

I would also recommend getting the temperature down in your reservoir as it will promote bacterial growth and cause root issues. Even insulated and covered from the sun will help.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your advice. Yes I have flushed the system, adjusted the PH and I am going to put sealed ice bags in the reservoir tanks to bring the water temperature down.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. You are so spot on. When I looked at the root system this is clearly also a problem.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I have done research and you are again spot on!

2 Likes

Hi There everyone,
I just want to extend a big thank you for everyone’s comments. I have followed all the advise and my plants are looking absolutely fantastic! Every comment was worthwhile and made a huge impact.
Thank you so so much
Greetings from a very sunny South Africa

5 Likes

Looks great, keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Hi there, how far from harvest would you think these are?

2 Likes

It looks like you had male flowers show up on at least one of those photos.

I’ve never grown out a plant who may have seeds growing too, so I won’t be able to give very good advice as far as how long they’ve got left.

My generic thought is 3-4 weeks to go. But I’ll phone a friend or five. @dbrn32 @Myfriendis410 @Covertgrower @Hellraiser @MeEasy @OGIncognito they may have better eyes for how much more maturing is gonna happen.

2 Likes

Yeah looks they still have 3-4 weeks to me as well.

2 Likes

I concur, few weeks before I would be likely to harvest these.

1 Like