Newbie needs help with a hydroponic system

@Tylersays @Auto11 @Flyinbrian78 @Ozark

Boyz, my tent kit is arriving tomorrow with Hydroponics Flora Series: FloraMicro, FloraBloom, FloraGro. I’d like to use Jacks321 and will do so, once my flora series is gone.

Question - once I place my sprouted seed in the root plug (Auto11 advised me to soak the plug in Jacks321, which as mentioned I’m not using), what Flora Series do I use (FloraGro?) and should I soak the plug in the same nutrient ratio I place in my bucket/reservoir?

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

If you’re getting the budgrower kit that I’ve seen it’s not hydro . . . it comes with Ocean Forest soil and a super soil.

Soak/wet the plug before putting the seed into it.

Distilled water or same as nuet solution for hydro grow would be fine.

2 Likes

@Syndrix

Thanks

2 Likes

@TommyRuxpin is that the set up that you bought?

@TommyRuxpin if that is your kit it comes with rock wool cubes, you can use those in lieu of buying root starter cups. Same process as the root starter cups if you are going to soak them.

1 Like

Yes, that’s exactly what I bought. Hopefully, it’s adequate.

1 Like

@Flyinbrian78

Thanks for the rock wool cubes update. You can see how much effort I’ve put into it, but will knowledge myself as I move along in the process.

1 Like

Dont be afraid to ask questions.
I still do.

3 Likes

@TommyRuxpin @Auto11 Absolutely don’t let yourself make mistakes, ask the questions. Hydroponics is not the same as growing in dirt. You pick just one thing to get right it is Ph. 5.5 to 6.5 is acceptable but 5.8 is the target to hit, I check mine everyday. You have a great set up and are well on your way.

2 Likes

@Auto11 @Flyinbrian78

Thanks, gents. Much appreciated! I’m a person who learns as I go. Appreciate the advice; really do. Love the Ph advice. I should have my tent set up tomorrow and seed germinating, as well.

I requested a copy of the grow bible, but haven’t received it. Done some research, but love the advice on root development/light power and length from the bucket provided by @Auto11 and the Ph from @Flyinbrian78.

Thanks again. More questions to come.

3 Likes

When you get it setup i wanta see forsure.

2 Likes

Cool beans . . . we looked at their stuff a while back for a friend but that option wasn’t available at the time.

I don’t use rockwool, but I do use GH products. They have feed charts available on their web site that can help you get your nutrient mix dialed in.

@Flyinbrian78 @Auto11 and the rest of the gang…

I am trying to germinate my first seed and have not received a sprout yet. I have been germinating for approximately 42 hours in room temperature water in a dark place. Hopefully, magic happens by the 72 hour mark or I will have to move on to my second seed.

Question - I have rockwool cubes and was told by a person I am not sure I trust, that when my seed sprouts, I should place it in the rockwool cube, locate on a window sill and DO NOT water, because it isn’t necessary. He said if I have to water, only use a teaspoon of it.

Please advise.

1 Like

@TommyRuxpin I put my sprouted seeds right into my rockwool cubes with no issues and then keep them in the dome with minimal light until I get root extended from the cube and I get get the first set of leaves, not the round ones but the next ones , then I put them into my hydro system…works for me

1 Like

@Retiredoldguy

Thanks for keeping me sane. Much appreciated!

1 Like

@Retiredoldguy

Do you put no water in the rockwool cube as the root grows down and the first set of leaves grows?

No water until it transitions to the hydroponic bucket?

@TommyRuxpin I use 2inch cubes that I place in 3inch baskets…so when I put the seed with a root extended into the already wet rockwool it is already in the 3inch basket. I keep the 3inch basket in the clear dome seedling container with just enough water to keep the moisture up on the walls. the rockwool cubes are good at keeping just enough moisture in them. Usually they only stay in this dome for 3-5 days and I might have to add water once .

also because rockwool drains any excess moisture quickly it is hard to overwater unless it is sitting in water