Newbie looking for advice on first grow

Good morning,

I’m growing my first marijuana plant and would really appreciate any advice I can get before beginning the process. My plan is to grow two seedlings indoors and then transplant them into 5 gallon containers which I will keep in my backyard that gets plenty of sunlight, private and fenced in. Here’s what I’ve bought in preparation: 5 Wedding Cake auto flowering seeds, a Spider Farmer SF1000D LED Grow Light, Happy Frog Potting soil, organic Perlite, and 5 gallon grow bags.

Do I need a fertlizer kit like Bergman’s plant food throughout the growing process? Also wondering if I need pest control kit since the two plants will be outside? I’ve been reading through the guides and they are incredibly helpful. But there are so many different approaches it is a little overwhelming. I’ve grown plenty of plants, shrubs and trees, but never tried my hand at Marijuana. If anyone might be interested in mentoring a newbie with a green thumb I am open for the taking.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks and have a great growing season!

3 Likes

Well, good morning, and welcome! I’ll pull up a chair and watch. As far as a mentor, the entire forum is a mentor! You’re going to get tons of advice and techniques, just do what works for you. Listen to the “regulars” there’s a hundred different ways to do it right, it’s the one guy that gives you that one piece of info to do it wrong that kills you! I’ll chime in here and there with what I know but it’s the advice you take and use that’s important. Happy Growing my friend!

5 Likes

With happy frog soil you won’t need to use nutrients for about 4 weeks with autos that’s about the time they go into flower so buying a nutrient kit would be wasteful. You can start them in solo cups then transplant to the bags I don’t know where you are but here in the northeast I put mine outside after the the 20TH of May. When I grow outside I use dry amendments and top dress Coast of Maine, Dr Earth and Fox Farms are a few. It would be good to get a PH and PPM meter PH is important when growing cannabis a good low cost meter is The Apera 20 you can use a cheap Amazon PPM meter.

9 Likes

Thanks, dirtydave. I live in the northeast as well. So, starting the seedlings in solo cups with Happy Frog needs no fertalizer for the first 4 weeks. Once I transplant to the 5 gallon bags should I use a different soil, or should I keep the Happy Frog soil and amend it with nutrients? I will get the PH and PPM meters.

Thanks!

4 Likes

If your in the northeast and have a local Agway store they should have nutrients mine has a cannabis section if you prefer liquid nutrients Jacks would be good one of the others would have to explain that.

2 Likes

For a beginner I would recommend using photo period plants and not autoflowers. Autoflowers are less forgiving. But if doing autoflowers as a first time grower plant seed In finally pot don’t start small then transplant. Just start with seed in 5 gallon pot u will thank me later. Also invest in good ph meter and tds meter .

5 Likes

@GreenGardner2023 welcome to the family.

I am seeing amazing results using happy frog mixed with live soil from Amazon with my autos. Only used nutes during the bud phase and pulled almost a half pound dry off 2 plants.

2 Likes

L51lEL6Yz0Xe
Hello there.
I would go with photo period.
Jack’s 321 nutes. Reasonable and easy.
Jack’s dead bug.
Ph meter
FFOF or FFHF Soil
When you transplant to final home with new soil, already has food to last 4 to 5 weeks.
I am in WNY and this weather is crap.
You will learn as you go. We are all still learning.
Most importantly, have fun with your new addictive hobby. PATIENCE is a must when it comes to harvest time.

4 Likes

@GreenGardner2023

Welcome to the forum! Plenty of good folks here. Pull up a chair and hang out a while :grin: lots of knowledgable folks use FF here. Make sure to follow their flushing schedule. Ive never personally used FF ( ive had a bag for a rainy day but havent gotten around to using it) but ive seen a ton of awesome looking bud produced with it. Beware! This “hobby” is very addictive. Like others have suggested get cha a PH and TDS tester. Two things to remember… There is no such thing as a stupid question and… i forgot… :melting_face::melting_face::melting_face:

hello-welcome

3 Likes

@ChittyChittyBangin knows truer words have never been spoken… lord ha’ mercy… :innocent:

4 Likes

@SandyC i have a habit of running down rabbit holes :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Okay, I give up. What does FF stand for? Fantastic Four? Final Fantasy? Fast Forward? Friends Forever? Fast Food? Fantasy Football? I can go on. :grin:

2 Likes

Fox Farm :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::melting_face::melting_face::melting_face::melting_face::grin::grin::grin::upside_down_face:

2 Likes

@GreenGardner2023
Fox Farms so we can make it run into FFOF/HF
Ocean forest and Happy Frog. I think as growers on this forum we have abbreviated so much it feels like reading texts from high school kids.
Sometimes I have to Google them to figure it out.
Cheers :clinking_glasses:

4 Likes

LMFAO @Shadesfang :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: @GreenGardner2023, I’d have thought F*** Face too :slight_smile:

2 Likes