Newbie here, 1st post just starting out

@Sirsmokes Replaced those clear cups with blue ones. while I was transplanting them those roots were all the way at the bottom being exposed to the light. I just need to adjust my lights to be a little closer. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

@kushpa Okay i’ll look into that can’t have it too hot in the grow tent. Thank you.

@Laurap Thank you! Yes i’m impressed by how knowledgeable and friendly everyone is. I should have started here from the beginning.

2 Likes

Have you done this before? I have done it twice, so if you you want some marginally experienced advice, tag me in. What kind of hydro system are you using?

1 Like

I started out with another seed bank last year and I’m sure their product line was just fine. What drew me here, and kept me here, was this forum.

A bit of advice when changing mediums: soil accidentally carried into your hydro grow is a recipe for all kinds of trouble. You may even consider a soil grow this time and gain some pretty valuable information along the way.

4 Likes

@Ironjoe that light is fine, just order more so you’ll have the best coverage.

2 Likes

VERY important, that is NOT a 1000W light! It’s a 180W light! Covertgrower mentioned this, it’s the actual electricity draw from the wall socket that you count, not the seller’s “claimed” wattage. If you look at the “About this item” section under “Features & details,” it says, “just consumes about 182w power.” THAT’S the number you use for figuring coverage area. The actual amount of wattage coming from the wall. An 180W light will cover about 6-8 square feet, so it should handle 5 plants, but that’s pushing it. I’d recommend, if you add more lighting, to invest in LED strips that you can put on the sides of the walls to provide side lighting for the lower buds. A 12W, 18" LED strip on each wall would probably get you closer to where you want to be.

2 Likes

@Bogleg I haven’t tried this before. I had a pest problem with my very 1st attempt at growing in Soil. One Gnat turned into an infestation. I read that Hydroponics eliminates that issue and the speed in which plants grow in Hydroponics is a substantial difference. Here’s the link to the system I have. Amazon.com

Or even transplant into a coco coir/perlite mix, that’s basically a hydroponic-ish grow in a soil-like medium, and the soil from your cups will blend in just fine. So you kind of get the best of both worlds. And, you’ll have a grow under your belt for starting the next one full hydro.

2 Likes

@kushpa Okay i’ll start looking at LED strips. Thanks for that 180w information. I’ll start looking at the Features & details from now on. I got that light because it had good reviews and not too expensive.

@Myfriendis410 It’s been a hard decision Soil, Coco, hydroponics. I like how forgiving soil is. There’s nutrients already inside just add water check the ph etc. I like the idea of the cleanliness that comes with a Hydroponic system because i’m growing in my apt.

If you do go soil, get a big bag of “diamotaceous earth,” it’s a white powder with the consistency of flour. It works wonders on spider mites and other pests. I had a spider mite infestation on my last grow, and it got rid of them completely. I used a sifter to sprinkle it generously over every inch of my grow tent, bending the plants over to make sure and get in into all the nooks and crannies of the plants. Leave it for a couple of days, rinse, give it another couple days to get plenty of light (thick DE coverage partially blocks the light that reaches the leaves), then repeat at least another time or two. Then just monitor closely.

1 Like

That is the exact system I use - only I am currently using just two of the buckets instead of all 6 (which is nice, because up until I put the screens over my plants, changing reservoirs was super easy).

My last grow I transplanted 6 ILGM Crystal plants from soil to hydro. I think the key to successfully doing this was a lot of patience, and then making sure I had a LOT of air going into the buckets - the air pump that comes with that system is great, and you can plug up the extra nozzles with wire nuts if you decide not to run all 6 buckets.

For the transplant, what I did was get a 5ga bucket of PH’d plain water and a spray bottle with same. My plants were transplanted from their jiffy cubes to 6" pots and let them grow until they were at 3 nodes.

1. I took the plant out and broke off (very gently!) as much soil as I could into an empty bucket.
  2. Then I dipped the plant into the bucket of water and gently massaged the dirt off the roots as best as I could.
  3. Then I used the spray bottle of water and sprayed the roots, washing away as much dirt as possible.
  4. I put gently put them in the Bubble Boy buckets and used hydrocorn/clay pellets as the medium for them

Because I was paranoid of what @Countryboyjvd1971 pointed out, I swapped the water out in the reservoir completely after 3 days, and then again after another week. At that point they were fine and I didn’t have any issues. The more air the better!

I can tell you that it was enough of as PITA that I decided to just grow completely in hydro from the outset this time around, but it wasn’t actually that horrible.

3 Likes

@Bogleg Nice! How many plants do you have? I’ve been seeing so many pictures of people combining two plants in one bucket vs using individuals, something i’ve been thinking about. Also how many times do you change out the water once a week? Also thank you for the steps you took in transplanting. I don’t plan on using all the buckets so I guess i’ll have to find some wire-nuts to plug with.

Yeah, I almost mentioned coco. That’s what I use and it’s bloody awesome.

2 Likes

Hydro has a number of pitfalls related to reservoir size, heat and fungus/algae growth that kinda puts a damper on it.

1 Like

Right now I have two plants in a 4’x4’x80" tent. They are both 47 days old. You can follow my grow here:

With the 3.5ga buckets that come with the Bubble Boy system, you only want to have a single plant in each bucket. To give you perspective, my GL right now has a root ball that is almost taking up the entire bucket and I am actually considering moving it to a 5ga bucket.

My first grow, some of which you can find here:

…I tried to grow 6 plants in my 4x4 tent. I don’t recommend this for a novice grower like myself. While I learned a lot of lessons I just had too many things going on at once to really understand the process like I am starting to understand it with fewer plants.

If you read through both of those you will have a really good idea of what/how I handled a lot of the things you are asking about, but for the sake of saving you time I’m happy to answer those questions here.

I committed to changing the water once per week. With my schedule doing complete water changes every Sunday morning was perfect. During veg I topped off midweek on Wednesdays and adjusted PH then - other than that I didn’t pay much attention to them other than staring at them fondly over my morning coffee the other days of the week.

When I got to flower - which is what you’ll see described in the second thread I posted - the level of attention I had to give them increased tenfold. Once you have big plants on top of those buckets, you have to think about the best way to change the water. Simply swapping the bucket with a new one isn’t always an option once you get full grown plants - and if you do a SCROG there is almost no way to do it without some kind of pulley system to raise the entire lid, plant and screen up at once… so the simplest, easiest solution is to invest in a siphon pump so you can just siphon water in and out of your buckets.

4 Likes

@Bogleg Man that’s a clean setup. Your plants look healthy. So i’ll look into the siphon pump.

@Myfriendis410 Yea all my reading says it requires more attention going with Hydroponics vs Soil for those reasons you mentioned.

1 Like

Look at coco if you want to dip your toe into hydro. I love the medium for a number of reasons and it’s very easy to work with.

2 Likes