Newbie here, 1st post just starting out

I started with the BigBud strain and was so discouraged when all five seeds never Germinated. ILGM sent five replacements and all five are doing well. I need to add a little more soil so they don’t tip over or use steaks. I’ll be transferring them to a hydroponics system in one month or so.

7 Likes

hey there @Ironjoe! welcome to wonderful world of growing!! your plants look very leggy & are stretching… I would think your light is too far away, but you mention transplanting them from soil to hydro? I know nothing about hydro… just my 2 cents

~peace

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Those girls do need more light, I would transfer to hydro sooner than that maybe. Would have been easier to start then in a soiless medium like rock wool. But it still can be done. Happy growing! @Ironjoe also, you may want to separate those two plants sooner than later, otherwise they’ll be competing for nutrition, light, and water.

8 Likes

We’re really piling on haha! Another tip would be to hide the roots from the light. They don’t like it.

7 Likes

Judging from cleanliness of white stand, it doesn’t appear you have enough or any holes in the bottles. You’ll want plenty of them if you don’t already have them. Also agree about lights and having them in clear containers.

4 Likes

Hi!!!

It’s great to meet you!!

Takes some dark construction paper and wrap the planters in it. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

4 Likes

Hi,
Welcome to the forum. Did someone already mention your lights are too far?

3 Likes

omg i love this website so much support. Yea my lights were about 1 foot away until this afternoon when someone mentioned they need to be 6 inches away the most maybe even touching. You guys are right i don’t have any drainage holes i’ll replace these cups with holes tonight. Covertgorwer I want to put them in the Hydroponic system asap i have everything I need I’m just afraid of hurting the stems as they look so thin I don’t want to harm them. I also have a pretty nice LED light on the way from Amazon should be arriving tomorrow i’ll post another pic. These Florescent lights were to just get started. Please Keep the tips coming I’m new and can use all the help I can get. This site rocks.

3 Likes

I wish I had used Rock-wool. What happend was the seeds arrived faster than I could get my hands on any so i just soil. Looking back I would have went rock wool so as to not shock the plants as much.

1 Like

Welcome to the ilgm forums @Ironjoe sounds like the guys got ya situated!

Tag us with the @ in front of our usernames like @Covertgrower

3 Likes

@bob31 Thank you that does help.

2 Likes

Tags get out attention @Ironjoe and when you need help, that is a good thing!

1 Like

Great to hear you have more lights coming, but you may want to consider ordering more. This also depends on your grow area and how many lights are coming. Those 5 girls will need more than just the one light as they mature. Just giving a heads up, to plan ahead a little, for when they flower. Happy growing @Ironjoe

2 Likes

Hey welcome welcome. This is a great place… first off when you put holes in or replace the containers they are in use some soil and come up to where you just have a couple inches between its leaves and the top of the soil. Would be my 2 cents if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask. Oh yea do you have a good ph meter and calibration fluid? If you don’t it’s a must have and good luck happy growing

1 Like

@Covertgrower Okay. Right now only using two lights both are using 32watt bulbs from Home Depot. The light on it’s way is 1000w LED. I was thinking of just switching to the LED’S. Let me know if you think.

@Sirsmokes Will do. Thank you. You guys are so detailed.

1 Like

@Ironjoe amazon links are allowed, if you could post a link possibly? It would be helpful. Also, if you could look in the description look for actual watts used from the wall. That’s the best number to go by. The best amount to achieve is about 52-55 watts per square foot. (Meters if you’re across the pond then we’ll have to do some quick math…lol) all of these watts aren’t all needed until flowering. This wattage per square ft isn’t set in stone, because even if you have 10Watts, it’ll make bud, but it’ll be very small and won’t have the highest yield. Just remember you’re comparing with the sun in a tent, so brighter, more photons, more lumens the better result. These are all just suggestions, from a one grow experience. But, I have learned a lot.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum. As you can see theres lots of growers happy to help. Already meet some great ones!!!

1 Like

For LED you want at least 25W per square foot. It’s a little different than CFL, you want 50-100W/sq.ft for that. For a 1000W LED light, you’ll want them at least 18” away to start, that’s a really strong light. Maybe even use it half power (if you have that option) for the first week to be safe.

Also, get some big white card stock paperboard to cover all your walls. White panda film works even better. As a last resort you can use aluminum foil, but aluminum can cause hot spots, so matte white is better.

You’re in good hands, lots of pros on here, good luck!

2 Likes

@Covertgrower Here’s the link for the LEDS
https://www.amazon.com/LAPUTA-Specturm-Greenhouse-Flowering-Growing/dp/B06XBLQV91/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1510933747&sr=1-1&keywords=LAPUTA+1000W+Double+Chips+LED+Grow+Light+Full+Specturm&dpID=51UB1hP0cFL&preST=SY300_QL70&dpSrc=srch