This will be my second grow, the first was from a bag seed and was more a proof of concept more than anything else. It gave me the ability to slowly build out my grow while learning some hard lessons about soil and water ph.
If you want to check the hot mess that turned into you can find it linked at the bottom of this post
If you are curious what the SNES cartridge is about it houses a Raspberry Pi 3 with a AM2302 temperature/humidity probe. I have an SQL database that records temperature and humidity on the hour along with a photo and logs it out to a basic HTML5 local hosted page. I included an example photo below, if you are interested in adding some technology to your garden let me know and I can post more about the setup, CCNA by trade so I love using technology to help us get the best plants possible.
This post will receive a weekly update with a photo on Wednesdays #weedwednesday
About the grow (If I missed anything let me know, I will add it)
Soil: Fox Farms Ocean Forest with a 30% Perlite mix
Genetics: Fem Seeds from ILGM, Gorilla Glue #5
Climate Control: The grow is in my basement but tented as it is not a finished affair down there. Since I am into the first part of winter I am using a 17-watt germination mat. I also have a 700-watt oil heater on standby if it gets really cold this winter.
Light: 1000w LED Grow Light Double Chips Full Spectrum
Ventilation: 2x 6 Inch 240 CFM Booster Fans (1 intake 1 outtake) CoolGrows 6 inch Air Carbon Filter
Nutrition: Advanced Nutrition 3 part (Bloom, Micro, Grow)
Day 1 (11/14/2018)
Day 7 (11/22/2018)
I apologize for being late with the first update, after a week of struggling with germination I finally found a way that works for me. Original I had started two ILGM GG#5 seeds in the soil mix I have listed above. After five days of zero signs of germination. I carefully removed the soil to find both seeds had not even cracked. My theory is my soil was just draining too well not allowing the seed to get moist enough to start. This was on Monday morning. I decided to order Rapid Rooters as I have seen others have success with this method. I moved the two failed seeds over into a damp paper towel and added another for a total of 3 germinating via the paper towel method. They have all been moved into Rapid Rooters as of yesterday along with a fresh seed placed directly into a Rapid Rooter. For science, I used some of my throwaway seeds to try the germination in water method something I had never done. All four of them show progress in their respective rapid rooter since transplant yesterday. For me, it looks like the fastest method is 24 hours in a damp paper towel and then straight into a rapid rooter pod. Next week I hope to have some actual progress to show you and will update on which method yield the best germination results.
Day 14 (11/28/2018)
Good Day! Well, I have good news to report. Unfortunately, the first two seeds I used never would germinate even after placed into the Rapid Rooter plug. The third seed that was placed in the paper towel method for 48 hours was the fastest to germinate. Followed two days later by the seed that was placed directly into the Rapid Rooter medium. 3 out of 4 of the bag seeds did sprout and they had been germinated for 24 hours in just water. The sprout that is just above the soil is a seed placed directly in the Rapid Rooter. The larger sprout is from the 48 hours in paper towel and then moved into a Rapid Rooter.
At this point, I have removed all the bag seed for science! plants and trashed them leaving me with my two GG#5 plants. I chalk the first two GG failed germination seeds to beginner mistakes, This was the first time I have germinated indoors before I just let mother nature do the heavy lifting but now I feel like the best system for me is 48 hours in the damp paper towel method then directly into the Rapid Rooter Plug.
Day 21 (12/5/2018)
Few things to report this week, I have moved them to the five-gallon pots and added a humidifier to the tent due to the dry heat conditions in the basement I needed to increase it by roughly 20-30%. Now it staying in the 60-70% range at all times.
The only other thing that was changed is I added a new camera and got rid of the trash one I was using, this one will timelapse a nice quality picture once a day and I plan to stitch a timelapse at the end of all of this. The heating mats are working nicely to keep the tent warm and I have not had to use the heater. I included a screenshot of my last 24 hours of readings just for the sake of it.
Day 28 (12/12/2018)
This week has seen amazing progress with the canopies really starting to open up. The heating mats have been working great even with the nights in the mid-teens the basement tent is staying nice and warm without the need of a heater placed in the tent. I am continuing with just ph balanced water. The paper towel germinated plant is still a little ahead of the one I placed directly into the Rapid Rooter but they both have excellent color. So far I am very pleased with my results. This is my favorite part of the grow, the plants seem to get visibly larger overnight.
Pi 3 Temperature/Humidity server
Previous Grow Thread (Man this is rough )