Newbie grower: red/purple stems

Hi guys,

Newbie grower here. I have these plants with no idea what strain they are as I grew them from random seeds. Look pretty Indica as they have big wide leaves.

They are growing very well and generally seem healthy with alot of daily growth I topped them once already with some minor trimming.

Last week I switched from 400HPS to a good quality 200W Black Dog LED.

I am currently seeing some of red/purple stems and branches. The leaves look fine with no curling or discolorations on them.

Heres some info about my setup
Tent: Jungleroom 1x1x2
Light: 200w LED blackdog full spectrum @55cm (as per manual)
Watering: once every three days, water then next water/ Canna vega on rotation
Soil: General all purpose potting mix
Ph: water around 7, soil 7.5
Light cycle: 18/6
Fans: 100mm intake and exhaust with fan speed controllers on about half.
Temps: 23c(73.4f) - 27c(78.8f)
Rh%: 53-65

I have another tent with x2 more matured plants (different strain) these are without this issue. They are on a 400w HPS light and use different soil (Canna terra professional). Everything else the same.

Below are some pictures.

Thanks guys, any help much appreciated.

1 Like

Purple stems are perfectly normal.

A couple of suggestions:

The 3-in-one probe meters are notoriously inaccurate. They can be useful for monitoring soil moisture, but they are ineffective for pH or light. Apera and Bluelab both make great meters for pH and PPM. Make sure that you are also testing runoff pH and PPM.

I see on the label of your soil says “Six months fertilser.” These delayed release soils can cause problems for cannabis as they nuke your plant with nitrogen and submarine your pH every time you water. Good cannabis soils are pH buffered. Fox Farm, Black Magic, and Roots Organics are all great cannabis soils.

Everything else, including your plant, look great.

2 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I think the other soil I am using for tent #2 (Canna Terra Professional) is much better.

Question: is there any particular method for cleaning the roots if I am transfering to the other soil?

2 Likes

Cleaning the roots can be dangerous to the plant and it is best to leave them alone by taking the whole root ball during the transplant. Honestly, if the soil isn’t causing problems for your current plant, then just make the best of what you have. You plant seems to be tolerating it fairly well and I’d leave good enough alone and remember the soil choice for the next grow. If you intend to use a larger pot with this plant, then take a root ball and transfer it to a new pot with good soil. The root ball will protect the plant from transplant stress. The roots will grow out and occupy the space in the new soil.

1 Like

@MidwestGuy has you covered with proper ph and ppm pens. Your ph should be 6.5 ish.