Newbie, first grow- photo update

I topped off 5 of my 6 babies as recommended by you all. I am very happy with the result. Thank you!

6 Likes

Looks good!

What is the “topping off” process/proceedure?
I am new as well.

1 Like

This is from the book- “ The 10-Pound plant”…

“The leading and tallest shoots/buds on your plant are called tops and cutting tops is known as topping. Topping shapes a plant by removing the apex growth to encourage lateral growth. Once the tallest shoot is cut, the energy that was once going to that cutting is directed to the remaining tertiary and secondary shoots. These shoots are now the new tops. Every time you top you create more tops and make a wider growing plant. It’s considered relatively advantageous to have more tops. Tops are prized because they develop to make more tops and when you enter the flowering stage your tops are your most productive parts of the plant known as colas.”

2 Likes

@NYDon I am a visual learner
untouched

Pick a node - usually above 3rd or 4th node, give good clearance above the leaf stems and growth tips and cut at 45 degree angle

Topping doesn’t mean the very top of the plant

2 Likes

Wow… thank you for the info. Should this be done to all plants? Auto-flower and photos?

Topping isn’t recommended for autos. It takes time to heal and the window for autos is small. Not to say it can’t be done. LST (low stress training) is common with autos. Bending the plant so the main stalk grows horizontally and growth goes vertical.

1 Like

This is correct but also dependent on the grower skill level in regard to plant handling and environmental factors such as light intensity and appropriate feeding.

This is an auto that I beat up. And it was fine.

The auto on the left was not topped. Believe it or not they both pulled identical weight.

7 Likes

I topped Gary 3.0 and she seems no worse for the wear

Oops top pic was on the apartments door

It’s not me, I don’t have a dog
It’s Johnny downstairs

3 Likes

She is looking happy!

Photos - if grown indoors definitely top & train. I am a big fan of manifold form.
Autos - some debate but I for one think the advancement they have made with genetics etc, I top my autos. Some say FIM is less stressful and do it rather than top. You can certainly just bend and train an auto or photo.
This is the last auto I grew. A Jack Herer. I did not top this plant

a week later

it was a very nice plant

2 Likes

@beardless , That is a super nice plant. So, that is 1 plant with all those classic? You just bend it kind of 45-90° and it grows all them?

I see your grid of string in the pvc… so that holds the stalk in place? How much can you bend at a time? So you must bend and secure multiple times at multiple times?

Johnny Downstairs sounds like a “Sopranos” character. :joy:

@Low your plants are gorgeous looking. :astonished:

1 Like

Google supercropping. You have to soften the stem and take your time when bending them a lot or to a high degree. This one got bent a little less the 90.

This one on the right needed to be bent a little further

I broke the skin open and it needed a little repair.

They are tough and it will heal.
This a new crop under the net. The method is called scrog for screen of green.

This is really my first attempt using the net to actually train to any extent. Yes you bend and weave the stems through the net.
This not the best photo nut you can see the set up and the six plants.

This grow style is called SOG - Sea of Green. I have to manage their size and the number of buds each can have. I like to try different methods and have some fun with it while learning.
You can follow what I have going on at Another Clone SOG and TBD

1 Like

Thanks, bud. Old grow. Check out the current. :v:t3::sunglasses::dash::dash:

1 Like

Looking at your pictures, it looks like when you bend the stalks, they kink like a garden hose. This doesn’t hurt the plant or inhibit growth

1 Like

The inside is what takes the hit when you bend them. It’s called super cropping, and a less aggressive version is low stress training (LST).

With super cropping, you basically snap the inside of the stalk or branch, where the veins which nutrients flow through are located. Over the next few days they heal, but are increased somewhat in size and stronger at those points. This caused more flow through the plants allowing more water and nutrient intake.
With LST, the main branch is bent 90° and held down with ties and is held this way as it continues to grow. The branches grow upward creating more flowering tops.

There’s lots of cool videos on both methods.

If I’m wrong on anything, my apologies, anybody feel free to correct me.

1 Like

Good morning y’all,

At about what age, or, is it based off of plant hight or number of nodes, do you start to S.O.G. or super crop?

I think I read on a page here that you “top” when the plant has 5 nodes…