Newbie confidence check

Newbie into my first grow. Followed a lot of your advice. You all are awesome!

Autoflower 4 weeks to the day. They look heathy to me.

Would you do anything more prior to starting to flower?

8 Likes

They look great. Proper lighting, proper nutes, managed pH, proper watering, and so on will maintain them in good health.

5 Likes

One question I thought of: Should I do a water flush before starting the bloom nutrients when it is time for that?

I’m new too, I would flush, I used FFOF got to week 5 and ran into root lock problem because I did not know to flush. If feeding FF nutes I think they have a flush around ur time frame.
Also plants look great, I would get ready my girls where small like yours and between week 5-6 I got that “stretch” all grew 4,5,6 inches in a few days and still going. Sorry I can’t be any more help, best of luck

1 Like

Nice plants man. Do you have expercience with photo vs auto? If so, what are any differences you noticed?

Depends a lot on the nutrients you’re using. As @Kingkupa said, FF nutrients are notorious for needing a flush before too much time has passed or you run the risk of excessive salt build up, ph fluctuations, and lockout. If you’re running Jacks 321 or something similar, you may not need a flush, especially if you’re watering to runoff when you water.

Personally I didn’t need a flush between my veg and my flower stage, I just stopped feeding them the extra nitrogen in the food. They still have some demand for nitrogen during flower, so they’ll use what’s in the soil if you don’t flush it out. Probably depends on the grower more than it is an exact science.

Edit: also since you’ve got autos, all you can really do is watch and wait for signs of preflower. Once you see pistils I’d taper off the nitrogen and start adding a little bloom booster

2 Likes

If they are autos, they will flower when they decide it’s time. Keep feeding veg nutes until you see flowers starting to form :call_me_hand:t3::v::bear:

2 Likes

If you’re in FoxFarm soil using Fox Farm nutes, it wouldn’t hurt. The salt buildup at the roots can cause lockout. Flush per instructions, run another couple of gallons through, then give a ¾ strength feed. Fox Farm soil runs like 5-6 weeks of preloaded nutes. Just make sure that you get your pH and TDS in/out in a good range. They look great! Good luck!

1 Like

Question please: brand new to EVERYTHING. Can anyone tell me how long before harvest I should stop nutrients? And what exactly does it mean to “flush”? Do I just douse them with water until it runs out the bottom?
Probably inane questions, but hey! I’m new to the game.

1 Like

I’m new too, that’s what I did to flush. Have 5 gallon pot, put about 1 1/2 gallons into each plant till I got 20-25 % run off. Interested to see if what I did was anything close. It my first time I’m having fun and winging it lol

1 Like

I’m not the best expert but to “flush” means to run clean water through your soil enough that there’s nothing “left” in your medium. I believe it’s a general practice to do 3x the volume of your container. For example to flush my 7gal fabric pot, I used 21 gallons of plain water. That may well have been overkill, but I was 100% certain all the buildup of expended nutrients was gone after that. For a 3 gal, 9 gallons of water. And so forth.

The process @Kingkupa described is actually just a general watering practice - watering til 20% runoff (if you feed 1 gal you want about 25 ounces of water coming out the bottom of the container) is how we avoid salt and expended nute buildup in the first place. However with Fox Farm nutes, you generally still need a “flush” on top of the watering to runoff.

1 Like

What if I don’t flush at all I dont over feed the girls and the ones outside are flowering and the ones inside I just got in a tent and what I do I put down huge tupperware tray huge like under the bed kind. they hold 3 gallons easy so When I put my finger in the soil if dry I water from the bottom and they seem to be adjusting well to the tent

1 Like

Up to you, but minerals will build up eventually. Whether it causes any issues is up to each individual plant and how much buildup there is. It’s not a matter of excessive feeding, it’s just that when things get consumed, stuff comes out as a byproduct.

As noted, Fox Farms is just notorious for having excessive buildup. Other nutrient lines may not require a flush at all. I always water to runoff to avoid that necessity but it may still happen. Just be prepared to do it if needed.

Thank y’all for the great answers. I learn so much just reading and see what I did was wrong. Listen to these others people they know more then I have forgotten lol, thanks again to all and good luck

2 Likes

Since I am using MG Organic x2, instead of using only 50% of the veg nutrients as recommended, I used only 25% because they were doing just fine as is. People said do not over apply the nutes… so I heeded that advice maybe too far…but the plants don’t look like they needed any more. So 25% x 2 feedings versus 50% one feeding then flush flush.

So I’m thinking next watering should be the last before the bloom starts, to flush with just pH water.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it is my theme . right or wrong. Lol

1 Like

I didn’t know you were using MG. I would be very cautious with that

1 Like

@Graysin
Many many thanks.

1 Like

I’m with you on that.

I’d already bought it and then later talked to our local hydroponics shop told me that it would probably be okay only because MG was playing catch up with the organic potting soil market and this new addition was not loaded with all the synthetic nutes the regular MG is notorious for .

1 Like

Well that’s good. In the future I would probably try and get some nutrients made specifically for cannabis. Happy growing! :call_me_hand:t3::v::bear:

Yep… already bought 2 bags of the real deal for round two.

2 Likes