Newb: please recommend a light for seedlings for a 30Hx26Lx36w space

Hello. I screwed up my first outdoor grow attempt b/c my 8w T5 previously installed home lighting for my seedlings (before moving outside) was too week, causing stretching and legginess. I happen to have an open plywood shelf space that is 30” high, 26 long and 36 wide. Thought maybe I would place my seedlings here for my next attempt with improved lighting. Just need this for a 1-2 weeks before I move outdoors.

Any suggestions appreciated -from a pair of clamp on CFLs to an entry level quantum board would be appreciated . Don’t know if I have room for much…

Thanks in advance

1 Like

I use a 45 watt cfl bulb but I do k ow one that can put u on the cheapest but efficient way @dbrn32

In one of these about 8 inches above

2 Likes

You could just get a basic 1000w Mars hydro it’ll get you started fine

2 Likes

Thanks…do you there is enough height for a Mars?

For sure besides its dimmable start them at 300 par and up it by a few 10s every 2-3 days

1 Like

Cfl’s will work just fine if that’s what you want to use.

3 Likes

Happy birthday

3 Likes

Happy birthday @dbrn32. Hope you have a awesome lit day

2 Likes

Is still a sweet deal. Short of some wiring, it’s all you need.

1 Like

How would a HLG 65 do vs 260xl at min power??? For seedling to transplant???

A 65 would be fine for seedlings. But t5 or a t8 retrofit LED fixture would do the same for way less money. At least the 260xl could take you to finish in a 3x3 or 2x4. A 65 won’t do past veg in a 2x2.

1 Like

Cost isnt an issue as I was given a 65. Have been using the 260 at min power for seedlings. Just wondering which would be best for plant between them.

Funny enough. HLG model numbers represent actual wattage. The 65 uses, you guessed it, 65. The 260 xl is dimmable and avg. It’s actual range is 135-285 actual watts. So if you can use 65 without stretch, why use 135?

I’ve done seedlings with 12w and part of veg with 6x t5. All of that was less than an hlg 65. Fixture was just to bulky. Like 1.5/3.5 and even if I retrofitted it to LED it would only be 108 watts. While taking up air space needed for 250 watts, for flower.

1 Like

I would just run the hlg-65. That is pretty much what it was designed to do.

2 Likes

That was my thought. Switch back to the 260xl once transplant??

1 Like

That would work. Hlg-65 will veg up to 2x2 space, so if you’re getting to exceed that move to larger light. Otherwise I would keep the smaller cheaper light in action as much as reasonable.

1 Like

Will do at next grow.havent even opened it yet.

1 Like

I was going to get a driver for one of the qb 288 boards v2 and use that for seedling but HLG gifted me the 65. Now I have more than I need and cant really do another tent. Feast or famine.

1 Like

Sounds like you need to work the situation until you can squeeze in another grow space. You don’t really need a tent to veg plants. Could you put plants off in a corner or something under hlg-65? That would allow you to start seeds a few weeks before projected harvest of your tent.

Wish I could but I have to have odor control due to the state I live in not to mention noisy neighbors. As long as I can repete last grow quality and quantity the one tent will supply all I need.

1 Like