Newb Ontario Outdoor grow

Does seem to make sense to me, hopefully still does when I’m not high lol

So it’s been a few days, circling back to provide an update.

Ladies continue to grow well, and the flowering continues development. They were officially 60 days old from germination yesterday, and appear happy so all well.

Ladies #1/2 below.

The caterpillars continue to do minor damage #2, I’ve resprayed the BTK a couple times, it’s supposed to take a few days to become effective so I guess still waiting to see if the damage tails off. Still minor so not too worried.

2 Likes

Already frosting over :star_struck:…them buds gonna be sticky!!

2 Likes

Mmmm ganna be good :wink:

1 Like

@Unicron looking good. looks like the FIM plant has improved since you topped it. they must be stretching like crazy!
exciting times.

1 Like

@Packof3 @HippieRunner @grizZz you guys are getting me excited! LoL you see the signs way better than I understand.

Packof3 - yeah they’re growing quick. Sunday to today is 3" of growth. Yeah, FIM is doing better after the topping, though it appears she’ll never be as big as #2, she’s just a phatter girl.

So a question I’m still stuck on. They’re about 2 1/2 weeks into flower… But how can that be? We’re getting over 13 hours of daylight, and k thoughts they switched on 12h. Does this mean there’s some auto genetics in my plants perhaps?

1 Like

@Unicron now there’s a question for sure. I honestly am a little perplexed with the timing as well. Perhaps @HippieRunner or @grizZz can add some insight into this as well.
Personally, I think the 12 hour light timing thing is more for indoor grows, meaning when one is ready to flip to flower they do so by subjecting the plants to a change in light/dark cycle from say 18/6 to 12/12. Hormonely the plants are like what the hell, I slept through my alarm and its fall…better flower, and poof!
Outside it think it’s a whole different kettle of fish as we are relying on, and dealing with good ol mother nature. This year has been for the most part cooler, more cloud cover, lots of rain and high humidity when it does rain (at least in my area). The plants I suspect don’t care if its July, August or whatever, its just the environment that tells them what to do and when. I’ve heard/read alot of people on here experiencing the same thing …early flower this season for outdoor grows. Perhaps my theory is way off, but as I’m no scientist, is all I have!

2 Likes

13hrs of daylight means 11 hrs of darkness. Thats pretty darn close to 12/12. Outdoor seasson has another week or two of veg as we enter the ‘transition’ phase as the days get shorter the plants will slowy get into flower mode. This can take a few weeks.
In my area I wont start seeing any sort of flowers for another few weeks or so.

3 Likes

All I know is that my plants have been growing at an extremely fast rate the last 2 weeks….have a flowering plant also but not sure if it’s an auto or photo that I just made go into flower….the REALLY crazy part is it’s almost done entirely….about 2-4 weeks left (I think)

1 Like

@HippieRunner @Packof3 Appreciated for the insights! So it could be either way I guess. This is another learning moment for me, biology is flexible and applying hard numbers to it won’t necessarily hold. Unfortunately the background on these seeds isn’t good, basically there isn’t much information or comparables. Pics I have seen looked more like Indica rather than the distinctly Sativa leaves I have. Oh well, is what it is!

In any case, both plants are really kicking now! Picked up another inch of height since my last message.

I did some minor defoliation near the bottom of the plants, mostly on #2 since is far bushier than its sister. Nice and bright outside so I was easily able to see where is getting light and where it isn’t, easier to choose leaves which make sense. That said, its was relatively minor work removing leaves from the inner part of the lowest branches. No need for the ladies to spend extra energy on them.

Distinct purple color is coming through more vividly now, can’t wait to see the finished product in however many weeks remain. I’ll be doing some macro photography as things get more interesting, and I’ll post the results here. Good excuse to get the gear out lol

Spotted and killed one microscopic green “hopper” like thing. Probably 0.5mm and bright green. Overall there is less visible damage on the leaves so the BTK appears to be doing its job. Healthy!

1 Like

@grizZz let’s see a pic of the lady who’s close to finish

@Packof3

She’s got a ways yet but I tried out a magnifying lens app for iPhone today too

The main stem “cola” is bigger than an actual cola can :sunglasses:

3 Likes

@grizZz Beauty!

1 Like

Thanks! I’m hoping she’s ready soon

@grizZz your second pic could pass as my one lady that’s in her late flower stage.

Seems like we are chugging along with about the same timing!

3 Likes

Yea yours look like they might be ahead of mine just cause they look swollen and pretty much better overall :sunglasses::+1:t2:

Quick update on my grow.

Everything seems to be going well, and the ladies are definitely stretching hard. 3" of extra height over the weekend, and overall increase in total bushiness. So well.

The BTK spray seems to have done the job, leaf damage has stopped and there are no new damage spots that I can see. Awesome!

As you can see the bud sites are starting to load, and they are just about everywhere! Above is the pic of #2’s main tops.

I’ve also done some minor defoliating around the base, but honestly I’m too chicken to do anything major without understanding the process better.

@Packof3 going back in the conversation, I honestly thought I had the 45 degree thing straight but it only lasted until I sobered up. LoL. For now I’ve been using stakes just to make sure that branches aren’t covering each other. But that’s it.

I’m doing more research on the defoliating and plant shaping but if anyone has any good references I’d be grateful.

3 Likes

@Unicron You should be careful defoliating during flower…the general idea for defoliation is to increase air flow, allow more light to lower branches, and overall better health for the plant (taking off damaged or discolored leaves basically)….and if you have none of these issues then the point would be (in hopes) to gear the plant towards focusing its energy MORE towards the buds instead of gathering and storing energy in the leaves…I think you would have better opinions by showing the entire/exact plant that you’re considering defoliation on :sunglasses::v:t2:

2 Likes

@Unicron right or wrong, I strip the last of the 5 finger fan leaves once flowering for a couple weeks. Has worked for me in the past.I give them a good haircut.

1 Like

@grizZz yeah, as mentioned keeping safe and doing nothing so far. Here are current pics from slightly closer. Hopefully better view of the canopy.

@Packof3

2 Likes