Newb Ontario Outdoor grow

@Packof3 - Forgive this newb question, but by “purging salts”, you mean that you applied plain water until it was flowing out the bottom, right? I get why you’d want to flush before harvest… but curious why this would be required when switching to bloom.
I’ll post a close up of the FIM tomorrow for ya. :slight_smile:

@grizZz - Yes, pictures please. I’d also be interested to learn more about the dry amendment process you mentioned. Are you just dusting the soil surface and letting it seep in with watering?

1 Like

@Unicron read in some posts on here that some growers flush a few times through the grow, so I though what the hell let’s try it. Can’t hurt IMO.

@Unicron and yes straight water and lots of it. Running out the bottom drain holes for a bit.

@Unicron So over in the soil section there are numerous recipes for “living soil”. I’m taking this known method of growing to (maybe) a different level I thought to myself: there are soooo many people that “wish” that all they had to do was water their plants and still get the same quality and quantity of their current or even to be tested method. So I started reading all the recipes and different mixes and mediums and fertilizers right down to llama and alpaca and even pig poop being used. That being said I came to realize that most people wouldn’t have the room or means to make their own super soil in the quantities that these recipes are being utilized. You might be pleasantly surprised to find out that there are indeed already smaller batches of these recipes sold by name brand companies such as Happy Frog. Mind you this is a test run using this product that IS organic and promotes microbes and all that healthy stuff in your soil. AND you will find there are different fertilizer mixes with these ingredients that are based at different N-P2O5-K2O ratios to suit your needs for various stages of growth. Here is the example I’m currently testing and yes I literally measured it out and worked it into the soil. Look into the soil section FOR REAL GAME CHANGER.

For current pictures of my grow head to outdoor section and find post entitled “Kansas First Time Outdoor” :sunglasses::call_me_hand:t2:

Got my ladies transplanted to their final homes, 10g fabric pots. :slight_smile:

Using the advice received, I stood the pots on a paint can and rolled the pot down the side easy as can be!

The roots had already made their way down to the bottom of the 2g pots, and the soil mass held together very well so I think my timing was good.

@Packof3 here are the updated training pics promised.

Lady FIM (#1)

Lady Top (#2)

Overall I’m still not sure that lady FIM has achieved the desired change. Perhaps someone with experience on this style can comment.

@Unicron hard for me to comment on the Fimmed plant as I only top. Not sure how she’s doing in all honesty other than she looks healthy and happy. Do you like the results of the topped plant?

@Unicron here’s a great YouTube video on Fimming. I can now see why growers do this.
I’ll be trying it on my 4 young ones once they get up to 7 nodes.

@Unicron Fimming Marijuana Plants - Technique and Results - YouTube

@Packof3 - oh yeah definitely happy with the lady Top: really filling out nicely and keeping the overall height down.

Thanks, I’ll give the article a look. If it has anything like after effects It’ll be very interesting.

1 Like

Okay, so it’s been a few days so here is an update.

Lady Top is doing great. Health is looking good, and the nodes around the topping have bulked out significantly. :slight_smile:

One small oddity, above the topping there seems to be an odd unilateral leaf structure. Is this normal? See what I mean, it’s not symmetrical.

Lady FIM doesn’t appear to be doing anything special, or perhaps I don’t see the effects…
@Packof3 I had a look at the video, unfortunately there doesn’t appear to be enough detail to help me confirm anything. Ah well, onwards and forwards.

So based on it’s increasing height I decided to top it at the node which came out of the FIM.

Overall I would say things are going well for my plants, they continue to show more signs of maturity.

@Unicron “One small oddity, above the topping there seems to be an odd unilateral leaf structure. Is this normal?”
I think you are good. Looks normal to me. I love when that “Y” develops. Fimming is one of those things I don’t play around with so tough to comment, but she looks healthy. Likely not a bad idea to top that fim attempt. it will be interesting to see how she responds. hopefully doesn’t hermie on ya!

@Packof3 can a fem seed also go hermaphrodite? Interesting. I recall reading that this happens under stress conditions… I think I’m okay, unless I’m missing something drastic like daily massage therapy… these ladies are pretty well pampered. :grin:

Re lady top, the asymmetry is beyond the topping is just a bit weird relative to the rest of the planet structure. On each fork of the Y above the top, each side developed three leaves… Left, right and center right. Makes me wonder where center left went. Perhaps not the easiest to see in the above photo. I’m assuming this is a normal thing and only new to me. I guess we’ll see what she does next.

@Unicron feminized seeds (plants) can go hermie from stress or drastic environmental changes. Not common apparently buy can happen. you’ll be fine, but it’s always something I have my eye peeled for.
yeah couldn’t tell from your picture about the topped lady. either way, I wouldn’t stress about it as long as they are growing and look healthy.
Giving my girls a feeding and watering this evening. they were looking a little droopy earlier when I got home from work.

@Packof3 Just for interest. Here is a clear pic of the growth pattern I mentioned.

yeah that’s normal

1 Like

@Unicron how are things chugging along? been wet here for most of the week and cooler daytime temps. currently raining buckets (calling for upwards of 50mm of rain throughout today). girls will be water logged for sure.

1 Like

@Packof3 yeah, it’s been really wet this past week. In my local area I think we’ve had nearly 100mm of rain. My watering bucket was left empty and I’ve gathered a collective 5" of water.

The fabric pots are definitely showing their versatility in this regard, soil had remained moist without getting soaking, extra water just disappears. That said, I’m glad I got the ladies transplanted to their 10g before that happened.

To my eyes they seem to be growing happily. It’s easy to see the effects of the topping on #2 (right), definitely much bushier.

#1(left) is doing well but I don’t think the FIM was successful as mentioned earlier. It’s been topped now but it’s a bit later than I would otherwise have done so I guess we’ll see.

How about your plants, growing despite the weather? How are the smaller ones going?

A couple of growing questions in general, if ya don’t mind.

Should I be thinking about removing any foliage low down? Perhaps that’s more an indoor and/or flowering stage activities… I’m seeing some tiny leaves near the ground which made me wonder.

Is it recommended to do a second topping now that the original top results are secure?

Hope all is well!

@Unicron your ladies are looking real good and healthy. I wouldn’t do a whole lot to them now and don’t think I would top again. I would just let them go on doing their thing as they look like they still have a ways to go in veg.
Any sign of preflowering? In a bit I would look at stripping the lower 3rd of the plant (not main branches unless they are super small). This should promote growth where you want it. To the tops of those bud sights. Small larfy stuff just draws energy from the plant and unless you want popcorn bud, I’d strip that stuff off.
My plants are doing ok. The big ones seem to have revegged, which isn’t good but I’m hoping they switch back to flower soon. The smaller 4 are doing good. Trying the mainline-manifold thing just for shits and giggles. I’ll post some pics this weekend. Come on sun! Tired of the gloomy wet days, as are the ladies.

2 Likes

@Packof3 Larf was a new term to me lol had to look it up; Makes sense. Still think there should be some leaves removed at ground level, they’re tiny. Plenty of time though, no rush.

Wouldn’t it have been too early for flowering? Unless their auto shouldn’t that be Sept 22 or something when we drop below 12h? Switching between modes doesn’t sound good though.

Re pre flowering, I believe I’m seeing appropriate gender sign in pistils at some junctions (definitely not pods), is that pre flower, or am I looking for something at the tops, in which case no just growth. I’ll grab a pic later and tag you.

Moved my plants last night and dam are the pots heavy presently, no watering for awhile.