Newb Grow Light Question - LED for 2'x4'

Hi all, when I first decided to start a grow tent, I thought I knew right off the bat what I needed. I raise tropical houseplants as a hobby and I was happy to find a lot of the supplies and needs are similar. I already have a bunch of FF Ocean, hygrometer, PH testing/supplies, noots, etc. However, lighting is a totally different beast and the more I read the more confused I get.

For the space I have, I plan on the 48"x24"x70" MarsHydro tent. I’d like to use an LED light. What are some good choices for lights? I’d be interested in a range of options price-wise. I’m ok spending a little bit more for a non-junk light but I’m not going high-end here. I will start off with 2-3 autoflower plants in soil and will do the whole grow in this one tent.

TIA

1 Like

@3dots Welcome to the the community. Alot of members use HLG led’s. let me tag @dbrn32 he is the light guru he will be able to help you out.

2 Likes

Not sure if you need the hlg 260 or the 260 xl but it will be one of the two. Which is about $300 to 350 us. If Thats over your budget then use the hid which will run you $150 to 200 us.

3 Likes

I just went through this same process and I went with kingbrite from alibaba. The ones I ordered have the same components as the HLG 300 V2 RSpec. And they look exactly like the spider farm sf2000.

I haven’t received them yet so I can’t recommend them yet but from what I read in my research they are great lights. I got 5 of them for about 780 shipped.

1 Like

Horticulture lighting group QB-260 xl kit

3 Likes

You definitely want some thing with good coverage. The HLG 260 XL kit or the 320 kit I feel is the perfect Size and coverage for a 2x4

If your budget it tight, HID grows good weed. You’ll need better environmental control though.

Mars Hydro TS series has been well reviewed

Migro Aray is good too.

Speaking of Migro, they have a YouTube channel with great honest reviews. You can do some good research there and educate yourself on some terminology too.

2 Likes

Is it just me or are the choices for 2x4…limited? I have THE perfect spot except for a damn pole that is 31" out from the wall, smack dab where I want to put this. Seems like it would be better if I could configure space for a 3x3.

1 Like

Thanks, heading there now…

@3dots Welcome to ILGM , I’m new also .Let me give you a little word of advice. Don’t budget on lights, get the best that you can afford. It will save you money and heartache later .I just read a post today of a guy ,his grow was in flower .He had sugar leaves but no buds. He needs better lights ,3 months wasted. They are some great DYI kits out there(my build was around $250 a light HGL 260 rspec). Great resources here, use them.

5 Likes

Alright, I investigated a few of the options here. Shared the HLG 260XL with my husband who is an electrical compliance engineer and he gave the HLG a thumbs up from a safety perspective :laughing: Plus it’s modular for further expansion options and if one component goes, you can replace that one component vs the whole light.

Thanks for the rec

3 Likes

My 2 cents… these same people gave me the same advise a year or so ago… I listened…bought the hlg 260xl for my 2x4x5 tent… so glad i listened ,you do the same.

As they say a pic is worth a thousand words.

5 Likes

So, I gotta throw this out there.

I have 2 HLG 260’s in my 3x3. Thats 4 QB boards.

If you get one 260xl that’s two QB boards.

I think you should get the 320 kit, it’s the same size as the 260xl but with a 3rd board.

Our square footage is almost the same. That’s why I throw that out there… just my $0.02

2 Likes

That picture made me smile. She’s a beauty. What was the yield off that? I bet that’s a record gram/watt

Good job.

2 Likes

Good choice on the HLG 260 XL it was actually designed for a 2x4 space.

Got 12 ozs dry. 1st of 3 attempts too really be successful. Turned out some great smoke. I blame the lights for the success.

2 Likes

1.2 grams per watt. Nice.

1 Like

Is that what it should be???

I know a gram per watt is good. I’d imagine anything above that is great. (Still new at this)

It was that calculation that made me put a second 260 kit in my tent. If I can get 0.8/watt I’ll be very happy

1 Like

All I know is i jarred it in March and still have plenty left. LOL.

1 Like

So the blurple lights are trash ? I just got one and it’s my first grow :confused:

1 Like