New visitor ? What is this bug and how to get rid of it

Does anyone know what this is ?? I jave been using captain jacks dead bug spray but i still have bugs !!! How can i get rid of them ??

Flying bugs are different since they pretty much have to be sprayed directly. I don’t know the name of these in particular, but I get them too. I just flick them away. If they don’t run around the other side of the branch lol

3 Likes

Looks like a moth?

1 Like

It sure does - do you have gypsy moths in your area? Buddy of mine had his outdoor plant chewed up by them. Well, actually their caterpillars.

I would get out the flamethrower just in case.

3 Likes

That’s probably a cabbage looper laying an egg that will become a disgusting caterpillar and eat your leaves
Or worse your buds from inside out and you won’t know till he’s accomplished it

1 Like

@Borderryan22 @Lacewing any advice or products you guys can suggest because i would hate for this " moth" to turn into a bud eating critter … i need a good bug deterrent

@Borderryan22 lol … yes the little sh#@ runs around the stem , until i use both hands to trap it in a place i can flick or squish

2 Likes

This is your best bet other than sprays try and moon it before it had a chance and then just keep your eyes out for any kind of crawler …I’m not sure what works best there is some caterpillar killer on the market but have never been down that road …I had one eating from the inside out and then saw no more after that

It’s not so much the moth that will damage just the egg it laid is gone undetected

1 Like

Bt is the plague for caterpillars. It annihilates them.
Get the liquid concentrate instead of the mosquito dunks. It’s easier to dose in my humble opinion. It’s not a bad idea to spray down a plant after those moths. Those caterpillars are hard to see tiny inch worms. As all ready stated by @Lacewing, they are great at getting in the buds and eating them from the inside out.

Bt is just a natural soil bacterium. It kills a lot of beetles and caterpillars in concentrated doses.

It also kills the lil caterpillars of fungus knats too. That’s why so many people use the dunks.

2 Likes

I plugged your pic into an app called seek

The pic on the right is actually one I took off my own plant lol
I see them all the time they never harmed my plants in any way that I noticed …I did read that the honeydew the secrete can create sooty mold and disfigure plants but there would need to be an infestation it seems

@Lacewing can you put this bug into your app and see what it says i had a few idea of what it is but this app is cool

1 Like

I tried …lol says it can’t identify …but I can tell you it’s not a plant pest I’ve seen them before …also the app is free and called seek by i naturalist

1 Like

Do you know what type of insects eat just the top layer of the leaf in small spots millimeters across like a hole, but looks like swiss cheese at first but then the bottom layer of the leaves die leaving it looking like a shotgun blast through it, eventually rotting off that part of the leaf or entire leaf will fold. I can only grow 4 legally in my state, and it’s the first time I am not hiding them in woods, so I’m wondering if they attract certain other insects that normally wouldn’t attack a garden. Because I have been growing gardens forever.

1 Like

@JazzyB this is just my opinion other on this forum will jave a for sure answer check it out

1 Like

@JazzyB i do know after a leaf has been damaged it will not repair itself…guve the guys some time on here and they can help you out
@Borderryan22 @Dforce @MeEasy

Last bug pictured is a flea beetle. They eat the tops of leaves and leave white spots. Mostly around the bottom of the plants as they don’t fly.

1 Like

Lots of people use Jacks dead bug, I alternate with Grandevo and Venerate.

Thank you, seems as well I got an auto flower in my seeds, this isn’t what I ordered but whatever

1 Like

I think certain sawflies and leaf cutters eat a layer off the leaf and it becomes translucent if that’s what you mean …other than that thrips can leave behind what you are describing …can’t answer about why certain insects eat what they do …or not lol …they just dine on whatever and don’t seem to care what it is lol …