New to this, want to go organic

Professional fish guy here, chiming in.

Most professional fish guys I know (worked for a company servicing 4,000 office aquariums in w Washington and have my own aquarium business now w/ 150 clients) switched exclusively to sodium thiosulfate to deal with chloramines. It binds to the Cl even if bonded to an -amine. Also it’s way cheaper than EDTA. Most dechlor products now (reading from label) contain both EDTA and sodium thiosulfate. But honestly all you need is the thio.

For standard tap water concentrations 1 rock salt crystal of sodium thiosulfate will dechlor 500 gallons of water. As fast as you can stir it.

In college I worked at a live fish transhipper and anytime the fish started gasping during water changes we would throw a tblspoon of sodium thiosulfate into the 5,000gal mixing vat. It would happen about once every 4 months when the water district was flushing the lines with a chlorine boost. Fixed it every time.

Also, for those clients who prefer fake plastic trees (ha Radiohead) I dunk those decorations into a 5gallon bucket of hot water and a cup of Clorox. Pour off, rinse once, and a pinch of sodium thiosulfate. Those can go right back in 5 minutes without nuking (Cl-) the gills of the fish.

@anon72256435 you must be on aquifer water. Here in the maritime puget sound region we are snow melt and rain water. KH of 0-1 out of the tap. It will leach out every ion of bicarbonate buffer along with all your Ca and Mg faster than you can say fish. Additional buffering is needed.

If someone’s water was above 8-10 KH then this would not happen and not be needed. But here if you do not buffer your PH will crash and never look up till you fix it with buffer. I am a fan of hardwood ash and char.

But I usually suggest to others to used marine sand or crushed coral. Most fish shops sell this by the pound so you don’t have to buy a 50lb bag. It does not take much. Just like the oyster shell shards you @mingleme suggested.

Also the shore of any puget sound access is littered with clam shells from the seagulls smashing them open. One could easily fill a small bucket or baggie in a few steps.

5 Likes

You are always so full of information. I love reading your posts.

1 Like