New to this trying autoflowers

This is my first grow I have 3 blueberry autos and two anesthesia haze autos I soaked them for 24 hours in water then put them in paper towels till the tap roots showed then put them directly into 3 gallon pots with farm farm soil , they have been in soil for three days now but nothing yet … am I doing something wrong I bought a tent kit with the light and fans and all I think I’m just being impatient… any input is appciated!

1 Like

Did you water the soil before/after putting in the seed? Pics would help to see how the soil looks. How deep did you put the soil? You planted taproot down correct?

1 Like

Yes I watered before till it ran out the bottom of the pots then planted tap root down about a quarter inch and watered a little after and gave them a good watering last night before bed The soil seems to be moist.
image|666x500

1 Like

Let it go now. Don’t keep adding water till the soil dries out more. If you keep watering you will basically drown the seedling. What soil is that? I see your post says “farm farm” soil. Did you mean Fox Farm? Is it Ocean Forest or Happy Frog?

2 Likes

It’s the ocean forest fox farm sorry about that . That’s what I was thinking just leave them alone and should pop in a few days hopefully. Thanks for the help I wasn’t sure if I should water them or what

1 Like

Yeah let them dry. I have heard many people say Ocean Forest is too hot (too much nutrients) for seedlings. Most guys who use OF start in Happy Frog then switch to OF when they transplant. Not sure what to expect tbh. Hopefully it won’t be too much for the seedlings. I used HF all the way through the grow. Can add your own nutrients quicker with HF compared to OF.

Yeah I read that somewhere as well hopefully it’s not an issue but I guess it’s a waiting game now

Was hoping you would say it will be alright lol make me feel better but hopefully they will pop that’s five seeds :man_facepalming:

They could still make it. I’m sure there has got to be someone here that has done this… In looking for someone who has done this I was remind autoflowers are sensitive to nutrients… Now I’m scared for you. :grimacing: Let’s see if we can get more people in here…

@Covertgrower @Eagles009 @Hellraiser

1 Like

Should be up any time now. 3 days is no time to panic. Definitely sounds like you should be good on water…for awhile.

I’ve never personally used fox farm products. Might be a little hot for them but they should push through.

If you don’t see sprouts in a day or two if go gently digging and have a look. Sometimes they end up buried deeper than you think…at least in my case they do.

2 Likes

@Nate1988 So @Eagles009 made me think of something when he said they might be buried deeper than you think. When you first watered, did you water it after or before you put the seed in the soil? If after, it could have gotten shifted and buried deeper. Don’t go digging just yet, like Eagles009 said, wait a few days. When I start a new plant I put in the soil, then tap the container on the floor/table to pack it in just a little bit, don’t want it tight, just not lose. Then I pre-soak the soil before putting in the seed. Cover up gently, trying to make sure you don’t have any of those big stick pieces over the seed.

1 Like

Ive grown autos from startbto finish in ffof. It somet i mes will start with yellowish spots on certain leaves but nothing bad at all. It works itself thru that real fast and takes off nice. I even fed mine gh flora trio nutes at the second week of it and didnt cause much harm but woildnt do it again with autos. It did fry the tips but it is doable in ffof start to finish.

2 Likes

This is great to hear! I was worried for him.

1 Like

@dbrn32 told me to plant them with tap root up & it pulls the helmet off as it corrects its growing position & @Spiney_norman posted this about that.
|# Marijuana Seeds Positioning in Soil

External MediaMarijuana seeds should be placed with the POINTED END UP into a prepared cannabis seeds germination bed or just good soil at a depth of 1/2 to 3/4 inch. The embryo tap root emerges from the pointed (stylar) end and the natural method of growth is for this root to make a turn and grow downward (see the illustration) This bend formed by the downward curve of the taproot is what emerges from the soil and the friction of dragging the cannabis seeds upward helps the new plant to loosen and cast off the seed case when it breaks through the surface. If the cannabis seeds are placed with the pointed end down, the embryo will be required to expend a great deal of its stored energy for twisting and turning to position the tap root when it realizes that it is heading the wrong way (see illustration of germinating marijuana seeds) The seedling will need this energy to exert the forces required to later lift its head (now enclosed by the two halves of the seed case) above the soil, cast off the seed case and then spread its two embryo leaves and begin the life-giving photosynthetic process. This is a critical stage in growth and carelessness in placing the marijuana seeds will exhaust even the most hearty seedling and result in a slow start and a feeble plant in later life. Cannabis seeds should be placed in a small hole at a depth of 1/2 to 3/4 inch. An excellent medium for germination is a mixture of rich humus and fine sand, such as the type used for aquariums. The soil needs a ph of 7.5 to 8.0 and should not be so moist that it sticks to your fingers. If the medium is too moist, the seeds will rot and ferment before they can sprout. A simple test for moisture is to stick a pencil into the soil and if soil adheres to it when removed, then it is too moist. Sort of like when you test a cake by sticking a straw into it to see if it is baked through to the middle. The ideal is not too moist, and not too dry - and be sure that the soil is well-drained. Research has shown that a soil temperature that is at, or slightly above, the air temperature promotes the best survival rates and growth.|
It took care of that problem for me.

2 Likes

Yeah I had actually just read about that when looking up stuff to help him lol! First I had ever heard of it. Might try it when my new seeds come in.

2 Likes

Just don’t let tap root get too long and you should be good to go.

6 Likes

Nature just tosses them on the ground and they grow, so dont take what I posted as gospel.
Im just another idiot on the bus. :oncoming_bus:

6 Likes

Don’t worry about the soil, they’ll be a little twisty coming up, but they’ll straighten out past the 2 - 3 week mark and do great.
You could get a plastic cup to dome them to assist in moisture retention, so that you don’t have to worry about them drying out too quickly.

4 Likes

The soil won’t be a problem, I’ve used ocean farm extensively and never had a issue that the sprouts don’t get over quickly, if any issues at all.

The biggest danger at this point is all that watering, I would not give any more water for a long time, plenty in the soil to probably last long after they sprout (mine always sprout in 4-5 days from planting). Keep them too wet at this point and they will rot under ground or sprout and damp off.

2 Likes