New to outdoor grow bags…need some help

High,
I am an outdoor grower but I use the ground. My buddie fave me a 20 gallon grow bag to try out. I am not familiar with the grow medium in them. What do I use? Do I have to add nutrients etc? Help me out please and thanks.
Happy growin,
Ger

2 Likes

What type of grow bag are you referring to?

If they’re plain fabric grow bags, you can get a cannabis friendly soil like Fox Farms (Happy Frog isn’t loaded as Ocean Forest) or Roots Organics Original is a great one. Or, if your own dirt has served well, just fill them up with that.

1 Like

High,
Plain black fabric.
Happy growin
Ger

2 Likes

Here is a link to my grow journal if youd like to follow. A 20 gallon pot is big enough to carry you 120 days with just a cal mag supplement but top dress with worm castings also. My choice is Coast of Maine Stonington Blend.

1 Like

High,
I’d say my ground works pretty well. I may mix with one of your suggestions.
Thanks,
Happy growin
Ger

7 Likes

Grow bags are great option. I mixed up a round of soil a few weeks ago trying to explain it step by step. Maybe it will help.

1 Like

Hey , I am growing outside organic with 1/3 perlite in 5 lb bags. Good soil . Plants just came up 2 days. Shoul I add some worm castings to give them some nutrients now . I have decided to use worm dirt but don’t actually know how much or when. Usually go by the looks of the plant but would like to stay ahead of the game. Never tried a true schedule. Thanks

1 Like

@DUDE12
Hi,
I usually plant directly in “Mother Earth” so I can’t answer that question. I might say the worm castings wouldn’t hurt but I’m not sure and don’t want to ruin your grow. I’m interested inThe answer though as I am going to try a 20 gal bag this grow.
Happy growin
Ger

@dude12 worm castings wont hurt a bit. Its slow release and your plants will take what nutrients they need without burning your plants. I have a friend who grows in straight worm casting with perlite and vermiculite. As for amount to use, i use a quarter cup to each 5 gal container i grow in. I would start with a couple of table spoons for now and then again in a few weeks.

1 Like

Thanks , I started 3 yrs. ago but can’t put it in public here but man is it beautiful weather. might have a few questions later but what you using for flowering time. I guess you are doing autos

@DUDE12 i used to grow autos, but grow photos FT now.

High,
I use the Trichomes to measure when I harvest. I like a get up and go buzz verses a couch lock, however I will let a plant go to couch lock just to have a “relaxer” buzz. Lol.
Happy growin
Ger

Honestly, I would use your soil you have. I have seen your thread where you compost your bycatch and make rich soil. And your grows by the glamour shots are definitely top tier. Or go for a second bag and at least do a side by side for your own knowledge/science. Bag soil vs yours. I bet yours wins.

Maybe just add a little perlite or wood chips or char to allow for drainage. I bet the biggest difference you find is watering more in the pot.
Happy growing, and I always enjoy your plant pics.

1 Like

@noddykitty1
Thanks man.
Happy growing
Ger