New to growing indoors and could use some advise

Hello, like the title says I am new to growing and had a lot of questions I was hoping to get some answers from people who have more experience so I am not wasting my time and money.
I have a 2ft by 2ft by 4ft grow tent with three 2ft LED grow lights in the blue/red spectrum and a 18in by 18in LED full spectrum grow light set up on a 18 hour on and 8 hour off timer and a 6 inch fan for air circulation. Right now I am growing two amnesia haze plants for now 30 days and I am not sure if I am doing it right. Both plants look good I am using plant food of 6-12-6 NPK value and they are bushing out but not really growing tall. Now maybe I am over reacting or this could be normal for this strain or maybe I need to raise the lights up higher currently they are 12 inches above the two plants. Am I doing this right?

3 Likes

They look good for 30 days. :+1:
I would maybe raise the lights another few inches and see how they do there.
And welcome to ilgm @darkillusion3526. :wink::+1:
Friendliest folks you’d ever want to meet. :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I was kinda scared to raise them to high. When I first started the plants I had the lights to high up and one of the plants started to lay on its side until I lowered it to where it is now.

1 Like

I run my lights to the very top of my 80” tall tent. I’ve never had a issue. I’ve been doing this the first day I planted my seeds in May 2018.

1 Like

@darkillusion3526. You might try it at 14 in for a bit.
Might help to induce a bit of stretch but they are still young. :wink:
Autos ? Photos ?
I see they’ve been topped.

2 Likes

They are amnesia haze fem seeds didn’t want to try auto seeds since this is my first time growing I wanted to try to keep it simple.

1 Like

Yes I have started to top both of them, from what I have read on growing I thought I needed to do that asap

1 Like

Most folks wait till the 4th to 5th node before topping.
Make sure to give enough recovery time before the next time. :wink:
And it definitely will be in your favour with a 4 ft tent. :v:

2 Likes

Okay, I was under the impression from what I read that I could start topping after the 3rd node and every node after that

1 Like

Welcome to the community @darkillusion3526 I think your plants look happy !Good job. @Oldguy has got you covered. Just wanted to say if you need to tag anyone along the way just put @ symbol in front of their name. Good luck

1 Like

Some do a bit sooner at the 3rd but the extra node means a more stable plant to be able to bounce back more quickly. The plants still gonna need a bit of time between cuttings tho. :v:

1 Like

I have a 2x2x4 tent also, you will be glad they are short bushy plants. They will get about 3 times as big when you flip to 12/12. So keep that in mind when trying to decide when to go to 12/12 or you could run yourself out of overhead room and to close to the lights.

2 Likes

When you top you want to leave a few nodes underneath each time.

Also, it really helps to leave at least an inch of nub when you do top so that the plant develops a good knuckle where you’ve topped. If you cut off all of the stem above the node where you top then it takes longer for the plant to develop a solid knuckle.

1 Like

@darkillusion3526 Hope you don’t mind me riding along,set to watch.

Nice looking,good color, I agree with the guy’s above, I have a bit over 7’ in mine but if I was 3 feet less I would do exactly that,light as high as possible,but I think your short bushy plants are a blessing in disguise for you with a 4’ ceiling to work with,just stay on the topping and not too much,remember it is only going to have so many nodes to work with at your 4’ height. You always need to remember when you go 12/12 they are going to leap in growth again and try to double their height and during flower you will want the lights at least 2 ft away,I for one do not know how to grow in a tent so just learning and will only add what I have learned in my previous 3 first indoor grows.

@acort With that in mind how tall should I let them grow in veg before I switch to 12/12?

I don’t think your 2x2 is big enough for two topped plant

@HornHead Well I guess I will find out over the next few weeks, since this is my first time doing this I was expecting issues and problems to come up along the way.

Well you kind of need to guess lol, what your looking to do is keep the plant in the sweet spot of the lights. The sweet spot is normally 18-24 inches, so look at your plant and guesstimate what it would look like 3x’s it size. You can help everything buy LST (Low Stress Training) IF your not sure what that is google it for a some videos.

Hey I am new to the indoor seen but have several killer outdoor grows. I have a grow space 8×10 with a flowering tent and a seedling, veg cabinet and a germanation station. So my last outdoor grow got cut short when a couple of my plants disapered so with several flowering plants I transferred over night into a indoor grow prob cut my 4lb + yeild into well 21 oz :crazy_face:. Anyway so I converted my basement … now Im flowering ten plants on a 2 out 2 in cycle with about 4-6 weeks in veg and I went over board with all the different training at first. With that being said I settled with a Lst, super cropping , topping. so with around 600 true watts with 2 LEDs 135cfs,3gal fab pots ,FF nutes and a good composted base, peatmoss ,perlite, mix , with a soil ph of 7.0 and a water tested at 6.0 -6.5 I stick to my watering schedule and don’t over nute and I already know I won’t yeild what I’m used to but the seem alittle small for ending Fifth week of flower