New to growing how's it looking

First picture is a purple Kush auto and 2nd pic is grand daddy purple auto. Running a 2k watt grow light 3x3 tent. Fox farms soil. 16/8 light cycle. How are the looking 18 days from sprout.

5 Likes

They look great.

What light is it? I know you said 2k watt but curious brand etc.

Happy growing. :v:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @Mikemike88 !

They look great! Try not to let the leaves rest on the ground tho, you have a bit of leave damage on the first plant. Since these 2 are both autos, you could give them 20/4 (or even 24/0, but many think they do need a bit of a rest) light cycle. They only have so long to grow…extra 11% light will make them grow faster!

1 Like

Vivosun Vs 2000.

1 Like

Spudgunner. Yea I accidentally hit the leaves with spray bottle with some nutes. Burnt the leaves. There aren’t any layind on the ground really but I get your point. Should I trim any leaf’s that are somewhat touching the soil? Thanks for advice guys much appreciated

1 Like

Ah. I enjoy my VS1000s.

Just heads up that may not be enough power to give you outstanding results during flower, but as Spud pointed out, you can give more hours of light and that should make up some for the overall wattage output (the Vivosun 2000 is 200 actual watts).

You’ll get plenty of bud - just likely not maximum production - which is just fine for a first run.

I sure would. It just invites problems for those lower leaves later on if they do start to droop down into the dirt.

2 Likes

Here’s the specs on the light. The light output is bright bright in the tent but what light would you recommend I replace this light with?

1 Like

My favorite budget light by a long shot is gonna be Green Beams (Green-beams(.)com) - I’d put a 480w in your space. It might be overkill but I’d rather have oversupply and be able to dim than hit max power and not have enough.

@SynysterChris is using a 480 watt GB and @Fiz is rockin the 240 watt. I also have a 240 watt.

The most common recommendation around here for good LED fixtures will be Horticulture Lighting Group (HLG). They make all sorts of varieties and sizes, but they will run a bit more $$ for a very similar product compared against the GB light. I also have a few HLG lights. My plants love both brands.

2 Likes

I’m with Graysin on that recommendation,
I’m new to the LED thing as well and started with two lights very similar to yours, a bloomspect and a viparspectra, and although they did grow the plants decently for about a month they slowed down once they got like 18" tall or so. And I think most of the budget light companies lie out their arse about the ppfd. The Amazon pics of my viparspectra 150w probably show it giving 1100 ppfd, but I bet if I tested it it might give 500 lol

I am absolutely blown away by the quality of light this GreenBeams gives. I’ve only got it on like 20% power and its giving them 800 ppfd hung like 2 feet above my canopy.
Plus driver is on a cord so you can keep the heat out of your grow room,
AND they’re very inexpensive. The 480w is like 360$ and the 240w is 170$

And I think there’s a “quality of light” thing that’s entirely separate from brightness especially the brightness human eyes can see.
Dimmed down, the greenbeams “appears” way less bright than my old lights to my eye, but the plants are booming

2 Likes

This is exactly the case. A lot of the cheaper LED lights rely on growers not knowing about the light spectrums, where the LED companies who produce lights for growers rely on the grower wanting a quality product. My Vivosun and Bloomspect lights appear very bright. But when measured, as you said, they fell below the rest by a substantial amount. This is likely because many of the LEDs use 4500k-5000k diodes.

Think of 5000k like the bright cool light you see in an exam room or something → light that creates an almost blue bright light - almost blinding if you see em on newer car headlights.

3000k-4000k is much more ideal for cannabis - I don’t have the why, just that it is so. @dbrn32 may know more about the specifics.

From Google “ 3000K/4000K (warm) LED spectrums happen to have an ideal amount of blue light, and a good amount of yellow light for growth power”

Consequently it looks less intense, but it is more tailored to appealing to the plant - less tailored to the human eye.

3 Likes

I totally understand where your coming from and understand completely your explanation this is my first grow. Keep in mind here to learn more. The tent came with a 1k watt model glad I repalced the order with the 2k watt light… I feel there doing pretty good I’ll get better pics when I open the tent here soon… again thanks to everyone for there help… the burn in water leaves are from me spraying the leaf with nutes my mistake it was over spry from water bottle

1 Like

Absolutely. All we can do is suggest better ways for future grows, and honestly everyone has access to different resources. It takes some of us months to save up for a new light, and others just a matter of weeks. That’s just fine. Our goal is the best possible grow you can achieve with what you’ve got and pinpoint areas that can be improvements down the road. :v:

1 Like

Hi there :blush:. Welcome to the neighborhood
@Mikemike88 . No need to use nutes for at least 5 or 6 weeks when using FF. enough nutes in soil. Just ph your water, no spraying. Water until runoff in about 2 weeks, then check ph and ppm. These numbers will tell you what she needs. If you don’t have nutes yet, a lot use jacks321. Very easy to mix and follow. Have fun. You have come to the right neighborhood.

2 Likes

It was the same for me a few weeks ago, the cheap lights were seemingly doing great, but that stopped once they got about 18" or so,
And from what I’ve been reading and learning here what’s required for a good vegetation stage and a good flowering stage are Verrrrry different, both in the “color temp” and in power.
I’m not positive on the numbers but it’s something like close to double the power that a flowering plant will want vs a vegging plant, in addition to wanting more of the 3000k spectrum “red light”.
Basically the white/blue lights might sufficiently grow vegetation, but flowering might not go very well with them.
I don’t regret buying my lights similar to yours though because I can definitely use them to veg, at least until they outgrow it.

4 Likes

You know I love my Green Beams. Great lights I didn’t have to feel guilty buying.

1 Like

I’m gunna order the 480w light tomorrow afternoon.

2 Likes

You really can’t beat the combo of quality and price.

2 Likes

I ordered the GB 480 this afternoon… thanks for the advice. I’ll keep ya posted.

1 Like