New to growing, any advice?

Hello all, new here and new to growing. I’ve been reading a ton here on the forum, trying to read everything to educate myself, even though I’m sure there will still be mistakes made but ill learn.

I’m from Arizona, Southern Arizona to be a little more specific. Most know its rather hot and dry here. Right now its fall for most people, we are currently still in the 100’s but have cooled off some during the night to about high 60’s. I plan to grow outside currently. I have a bunch of seeds i have collected over the years from the flower i purchased at the dispensary. I have one seed thats currently in a small container with FFOF and a grow light about 2in above it inside. I have another seed that’s starting its taproot and I was going to dig a decent hole in the backyard and put some FFOF in the hole with the seed and let it do its thing, the spot im looking at will get about 7 hours of direct sunlight right now. I’ve read FFOF is hot, should I think about switching to FFHF? maybe mixing the 2? I’ve also just ordered from ILGM some Sour D auto seeds, because well im not sure any of these seeds I’ve collect will produce and im new so I figured auto seeds may be a first good step into growing.

Any and all advice welcome or you can point me to some threads I should read as a new grower that I may have not read yet. Thanks a bunch, yall have some amazing plants on here!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @InkedPC, you will find the folks here very willing to help when needed and really good at celebrating when you have successes.

I grow indoors so can’t help much on outdoor growing. That said, I do grow in FFOF but start my seeds in generic (low nutrient) potting mix from a local store. I start them in Solo cups an when the roots are fully formed and the plant is larger than the Solo cup is in diameter, I transplant to the FFOF.

1 Like

Thanks @merlin44 for the welcome! I plan to head to the local nursery today, ill check out their other soil options for maybe starting them in.

Cannabis is a photoperiod plant which means that it is dependent on the length of day to determine when it flowers. Planting outdoors now, in the Northern hemisphere, would not get you much in the way of plant growth. You will also experience frost and snow before plant matures if planted now. I have relatives in Sierra Vista and have driven through snow more than once in December to get there.

General advice: read a Grow Bible, attach yourself to someone here with experience and follow them. Ask questions. Before buying anything, ask the forum for advice.

2 Likes

Hey @Myfriendis410, thanks for the reply. Yes its true SV does get light snow, however where I’m at in Southern Arizona I dont ever get snow, only recieved snow in my 36 years, 3 times, however are mountains do which is beautiful, not too worried about snow or frost as it just doesn’t happen for long or often in Southern Arizona and on those nights it does get real cold at least id have the option to bring one in that will be in a fabric 5 gal pot. These are more of what sees what happens as they are just seeds ive collected over the years.

2 Likes

Yes there’s a big difference between scottsdale and say Jericho. The low humidity is gonna make it easy to run some kush if you decide. Kush comes from the same environment.

1 Like

Hey @SKORPION yes even Scottsdale to where I am is a little different climate not much, now northern Arizona is a whole different story as they do get snow and a lot of it, Phoenix and its suburbs, along with Tucson just dont get snow or to freezing temps that often or long if it does happen. I could be to the Mexico boarder in less than 2 hours, im pretty southern. Why SV, Benson and Wilcox get light snow sometimes I have no idea. Look forward to see what these two plan to do in these months that are considered off season.

1 Like

I got family in surprise Arizona so somewhat familiar.

1 Like

@SKORPION ooooo, it got real hot this year in that area, think 118. Smh too dang hot!

1 Like

We just moved to Cottonwood in August and I’m looking forward to growing legal weed in the garden.

If anyone has a link to an appropriate grow bible (arid, hot) I would appreciate it.