New to Coco. Any pointers?

Hello, all.
I am nearing the end of my current grow and I am thinking down the road a little bit.
I have some RQS Hulkberry seeds and some Godzilla Glue seeds that I plan on starting somewhat soon after harvest BUT I have only grown in soil thus far and am interested in making the move to Coco Coir. I have learned from these boards that Canna Coco is a good product and have it in my cart on Amazon. Also, I have only used the FF trio (+cal mag) in the past but am considering making the jump to Jack’s 321 now.
Any tips I will need when making this transition? I guess I will need to provide the plants with nutrients right off the bat as well as water more frequently from what I understand BUT should see more vigorous growth. Is that true?
Thank you.
@OGIncognito I’d love it if you could chime in on this. Reading your contributions is one of the major factors in my making this switch.
Thanks again!

Definitely make the switch to Jack’s. You feed the same ratio every time. Much more forgiving if you accidently measure incorrectly. Always make sure you pH between 5.8-6.0. It’s a little more work in coco since it’s much more frequent feeding, but the growth rate is much better.

6 Likes

How much more frequent is the feeding @Borderryan22 ?

And I am fine with being more involved with the plants. I prefer it, actually.

2 Likes

Every 1 or 2 days. And you feed with Jack’s every time. If you get unbuffered expandable coco, mix a gallon of Jack’s and expand it with that. Also, Jack’s has calmag. Part B is calcium nitrate, and Epsom is magnesium sulfate.

If you really like to get hands on, coco and Jack’s. It’s simple. I did my first indoor grow in coco (3 plants) and I loved it, I just don’t have time for every day feeding.

1 Like

Do you have a recommendation of what to buy in the way of Jack’s? A size recommendation? I guess there is a part a and b?

I have noticed that coco and jack’s are two common denominators in a LOT of the high end grows I see on here.

1 Like

Jack’s is Part A & B, with Epsom salt. It’s called the 321 system…

3.6 part A
2.4 part B
1.2 Epsom

… is the standard ratio. The most important part when mixing, is that you mix part A, then Epsom, and Part B is last! You can mix part A and Epsom in at the same time or separate, but they have to go in and be well mixed before part B. If you end up with cloudy solution, then A and Epsom weren’t mixed well enough.

2 Likes

I use Jack’s. I’m growing in soil again, and when I mix Jack’s, at whatever ratio I think my plants are needing, and my pH falls between 6.43-6.53. I don’t pH at all. Now, for coco I’d have to add a pinch of Citric acid crystals to get it down in range.

1 Like

Citric acid crystals? So not PH down, then? Should I just forget the PH down?

I haven’t used pH down. One of the great growers here suggested it. Super cheap. Takes a pinch, I mean a tiny bit to drop it. Doesn’t hurt the plants.

2 Likes

Sounds perfect.
Thanks for the information, my friend.
Will I be measuring runoff the way I did with soil?
PH and PPM? Or is that superfluous seeing as how I know what I am putting in?

1 Like

Im a bit bias towards the Jack’s 321 as I use it paired with Autopots+canna Coco. And it’s so easy… Like really easy…
Jack’s 321 part A, part B, and unscented Epson salt.
Feed seedlings half strength but they established quick and then mix your feed water up full strength and the plants love it. Very simple, quick and clean and gives the cultivator 100% control. I pH my water to 5.8 everytime. Mix up a 5gal bucket of feedwater and put it in the reservoir. I usually won’t need to check ppm and ect. But I still recommend having the measuring meters to check on things. It’s so easy… ILGM

5 Likes

I just checked out those auto pots you mentioned. Those look great!

1 Like

I’m growing in coco right now you have to water/feed them everyday. I use jacks 321 very easy. Here are some pic’s of my grow in coco there 8 weeks from breaking ground.

These are ILGM Autos 2 Jack Herer and 2 Bubble Gum. The first 2 pics are the Jack Herer the last 2 pic’s are Bubble Gum.

3 Likes

Damn, bud!!! That’s a TREE!!! :grinning:
Looks like it’s working great!!

I organically boost my coco and half of my old coco goes into my new coco to keep strong bacteria colonies then i feed jacks everyday and once a week i give them a super feed with added zeus juice, liquid silica, mr fulvic, and molasses yup it works thats good i almost always get 1 or 2 giant autos per grow this is my banana blaze auto

5 Likes

That’s quite a cocktail. Zeus Juice???

Humic acid + kelp, and mr fulvic is fulvic acid + amino acids its awesome stuff if you have a bacteria base

3 Likes