New to cannabis growing. What ppm should I be shooting for?

Yo, yo, yo. At 37th day flowering for auto gorilla glue. Avg temps 78-82F, 60-70% RH, coco coir, 5 gal smart pot, bestva 2000 light and 200cfm exhaust with carbon filter. Light schedule 18/6. Just got TDS PEN. Sooo I watered plant with .5 gal ph’d cal mag reverse osmosis water and run off was 175ppm, 6 ph. Waited 30mins and then watered 1 gal with 2ml calimag, 1.5ml of micro 1.5ml gro 2.5 ml bloom from hydrodynamic. 375 Ppm from runoff, PH 6. (Been using 2.5ml Cali mag 2 micro 2 gro and 3ml bloom per gal and used total of 2 gals. Noticed some nute burn that’s why I backed off last feeding) Anyway…… I think next feeding I’ll go back to Cali mag 2.5ml, micro 2, gro 2, bloom 3ml. My question: what is the correlation between ppm and the nutrients a plant needs in a given stage…… example If plant is looking stressed (deficiency or burn) and you raise or lower nutes should you shoot for a ppm target for plant based on stage or just adjust gently and let plant slowly show improvement/decline? Another way to say that is…. should your plants performance based on a stable nute regimen as a good rule provide you with a consistent ppm level? I found a table that indicates my ppm should be 600 at my plants current stage. My ppm reading is far below that…. Should I interpret that as needing to up nutes to arrive at a proper ppm.
If I’ve confused the crap out of you then just give me some data on how I should interpret ppm in runoff during the course of mixing nute solutions to address plant needs. Again it on 37 day of flower and 65 day from planting germed seed in coco.

1 Like

@Nicky @Not2SureYet @MattyBear grow in coco maybe they can help you out.

2 Likes

Are you following the general hydroponics feed chart? 600 is light for a plant in mid flower

I do not use GH trio but their heavy feed schedule calls for 950 - 1200 during 4th week of flower.
I use Jacks in coco and always around 1000 - 1200

2 Likes

Thanks @Deepsix Your nutes sound very much like my GH Micro, Grow and bloom. If they are at all similar. You want to feed lower then most other brands. These are much stronger than some other brands on the market. Also. With my GH. I can not feed as strong as I can for photos. I could. But I see a big difference in how fast the plants grow. To much really slows me down.
Now, for my answer there. Looking at my notes. The day 7/8 is the start of week 4 for an auto I am growing right now. I normally would shoot for about 650 ppm feeding like below. Adding just a little more or less of any items change your numbers. So there really is not a way to say you should shoot for any specific number in my opinion. Unless you are trying to mirror some one elses grow.
I was feeding 1/2 strength for veg
Cal mag 2.5ml
Silica 2.5ml
Mircro 2.5ml
Grow 2.5ml
Bloom 2.5ml

My numbers float because I normally am feeding more than one plant. So I just round off things by what I see my run off to be. Some days I do a little more. Some a little under.

My journal here is numbered on the sides to let me know what I fed. I also have the water ppms I started with as that changes with my mood lol and also it shows on the far right. What I put in quantity wise and what I got back, run off wise.
It is just my 02. But you will grow better on the lower side ppm wise with autos in coco. I am always going over my old notes like these. Trying to find the keep to doing big girls every time :grin:
I feed going off the bottle. It is what I used when I started. And just stayd with it since it worked. I know a lot of others that go by the chart @beardless shows or similar ones. This is what I go by my self. I am not saying it is better. It is what I started with and it works great for me.
We can help guide you. But in the end. You will start to see what works best for you. I will be silently watching here if you keep your journal here :grin:

3 Likes

When it comes to GH my main man @Not2SureYet is the Bible writer, so I’ll just sit here and look handsome :smile_cat:

3 Likes

Thanks @Nicky I am just bumping along like every one else. Always looking to learn a better way :grin:

1 Like

You are very kind and this helps a lot. I appreciate the work you have done and am humble by your generosity!

1 Like

What an amazing community. I love your passion and am inspired by your diligence. I have a journal…. Spiral pad I have made notes in, but going forward I think I will incorporate your use of a spreadsheet…… my hand writing isn’t super clean and the pages are stained here and there from the dang micro nutes, why do they gotta be so dark? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

We are all here to help if we can. The only GH products I use is calmagic and ph ± so the feed schedules are by GH and any tweeking I will leave to those that know the product.
This is a generic growth phase / ppm chart I saved

3 Likes

Handwritten data charts :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Hey man is the printout you posted in tablespoons or teaspoons/gal? I’ve been using milliliters…. Got a handful of those free 10ml medicine syringes from pharmacy for stuff like cough syrup😜. Also started new page for journal notes like you do it. I’ll see how it goes.

1 Like

Meant to include you on this. I’m not real efficient at managing my posts on forums…… I hope the link above takes you to my bug question I started. If it doesn’t let me know.

Old vs new. Thanks again