New super soil grower, new soil in general grower lf expert opinion on what i need to change in my super soil

Ingredients are there for most part but then all your amendments would be in way lower amounts.

1 Like

i planned on buying pretty much everything you could ever want to use for any amendment or organic grow, as I’ve built a set up that ill be using for year’s so none of this stuff will be wasted if i dont use it right now

1 Like

I know the feeling

7 Likes

hahah verry very nice i absolutely love hording different nutes , amendments, and mediums, n all that lol , yea i dont mind changing up i have a bunch of ingredients for compost tea as well so i can make my soil mix alot less hot i dont mind a bit as ive said im new to soil mixes like this and this style of grow in general , so im not heart set on any specific recipe

1 Like

May I suggest that you goto buildasoil.com and do some reading.

5 Likes

ill do that right now!! i appreciate the help and love folks im off to do some research and build a soil lol

2 Likes

See this is why I’m looking for a living super soil. That is a mess of things. More opportunities to f it all up if you’re a newb or even a pro you miss measure. There is this soil called mixasoil it’s local to me and I’m tempted to buy it and mix it with the roots green fields.

Living soil and super soil are totally different. Yes, I have quite a bit of dry amendments. A lot of them are leftover from when I tried the super soil route. The great thing about dry amendments is the shelf life.

I say give it a try and see what the company has to offer. Maybe try it without mixing, So you can better judge the product. Could try just one mixed.

1 Like

How do you keep the ph of the soil at 6?

If you do a living super soil do you add any FFOF or Add to it any other goodies? A LSS is suppose to have all the stuff necessary to provide the plant with fuel to grow and produce. I’m leaning on going that route but wanted to hear more from you.

No, I don’t use FFOF because I built my living soil, but you could always re-amend that after a grow. It’s just that using FF, or any other store bought soils, they aren’t designed for long term sustainability of a living soil.

You’re trying to re-create the natural processes of Mother Nature.

This style is called, No Till (Living Soil). You concentrate on your microbes, fungi and worms. They do the work to sustain the plants needs. You compost and cater to their needs. It’s complex but exciting shit!

2 Likes

Thanks excellent info. I thought adding any FF would basically null and void the whole concept. I’m going to give it a try. I won’t have to worry about the FF I used for the seedling being in place when I transplant correct as it will grow into the LSS? Do I need to add perlite for drainage or anything?

Please stop with the LSS. That’s not a thing. This tells me you need to do a ton more research. I just don’t want you to fail.

1 Like

Wow just wow. Okay. Sorry to waste your time.

Wow sorry to waste your time

Living super soil isn’t a thing… okay.

Super soil is a whole bunch of amendments piled together and then cooked long enough for them not to burn your plants completely. You only add a third to the bottom of the pot.

Living soil has in it just what you need to grow. No long cooking time Or the cutting with bs FF soil. Full of life and has to be treated differently.

Don’t get pissed at me for your lack of knowledge! Like I said, I don’t want you to fail!!!

Have at it then…

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words and help. Much appreciated.

Just reading up on all of the different kinds of soils today before I get growing… and noticed your post (and the photo of your shelf full of stuff… wow…) where you were suggesting researching the Build-A-Soil. Checked it out… and man… They have a lot of different offerings on their site.

What do you think about this “BuildASoil Take 'N Bake - Artisan Soil Building Kit?”

Would you say that it is worth it, (vs Fox Farms) for my first six, 7 gallon potted indoor auto plants? Or would you recommend just starting out with a simple combo of FF HF, OF & LW?

If it’s really worth the extra money, I may choose to go the living soil route. It’ll be my first grow, so I wanted to do a much research as I can, and be sure I start out right.

Thanks for any words of advice… really want to order soil today and get my beans in the water.

@Beltana care for an update? Color me curious.
I was a supersoil type before I became a living soil type. I also use B A S products.

Inquiring minds want to know. :+1:
Happy growing!

SL out.