New spot to guerrilla grow

Writer is all over Elan’s nut bag lol. There are plenty of growers already using renewable energy without his, or any other batteries. By his math, 1kw of solar panels and a 1kw backup generator can be purchased for the price of that battery. Maybe a little more when you consider transfer switches, and if you have to pay someone installation. But generator will last a lifetime running under outage conditions. And it’s probably less likely to catch fire haha. The other benefits, on grid solar will put all of your produced power to work, and a generator wouldn’t be limited to a short term outage.

Goes back to everything I was trying to tell you about the battery powered lights. It’s cool, but we’re not there yet.

1 Like

@dbrn32 @Hogmaster I’ll be sticking with guerrilla growing

1 Like

So I take it it’s going to work out for you :wink: can’t go wrong outside

2 Likes

@Hogmaster thanks buddy :+1:It’s an nice area. I can’t wait​:grin: I’m excited

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076Q5WYNV/ref=mp_s_a_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1511328753&sr=8-22&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=usb+grow+light&dpPl=1&dpID=517qFbm7X6L&ref=plSrch I found this today got a lot of reviews

1 Like

If you’re looking for a low powered light it looks reasonable. One foreseeable problem though, it’s listed as built in timer as only going up to 8 hours. That’s not good for our application.

Yes young jedi doesn’t that mean 8 hours of darkness I could grow autoflowers

:rose:ADJUSTABLE&CONVENIENT - You can adjust the brightness of the light and the distance between the light and plant according to plant needs, also flexible gooseneck allows you to bend the lamp in any direction. USB plug in and timer button designed with 3 modes, user can set up for 2 hours, 4 hours and 8 hours.(This is a ONE-WAY TIMER, user can set it up to turn off automatically after 2H/4H/8H, but have to turn it on manually every day) see le

1 Like

Exactly. So the timing function is essentially useless, just like the dimming function. You can’t set it up to turn on and off for any light schedule we would actually use. And at 18 Watts max, your plants will never need less than that.

So what your saying this light sucks

More like it sucks for our application. It may be very good for something like basil, kale, or similar.

2 Likes

Can you grow autoflowers

1 Like

I think you’re plenty capable of building a light successfully, which is the only good way to get over on something monetarily cheap. I can probably spec the parts out to build a 40-50 watt light capable of growing one or two small plants. Would probably get you an ounce or so if you managed grow well. Probably cost about $60. If you’re interested?

1 Like

Sure. But the lack of light time and light intensity won’t yeild much.

1 Like

Ok. I’ve been looking the components up and down. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to build a light that size due to driver and led configuration. But bigger does lol. Hear me out on this, and tell me what you think.

One of these

Will run four of these for about a total of 84 Watts.

Cost on driver and led strips will be about $50. You will need to mount the leds to something like 2”x.125 aluminum bar stock. This can be done pretty easily using 2 sided thermal transfer tape available on amazon. And you’ll need a little bit of wire and a make 120v plug. I can find the components cheaper for a smaller light. But the cost per watt is going to be a little more expensive.

You can go up to 6 strips with same driver at 700ma and probably not need the aluminum as heatsink. But I can buy 8’ feet of that aluminum cheaper than the 2 additional strips. Either way, led power will be the same and cost similar.

1 Like

This driver

And 4 of these strips

Would give you about 31 Watts led power and cost under $30. You would only need about 4’ of aluminum if you wanted to use as heatsink, or you could run without at lower efficiency. Still need some wire and a plug.

1 Like

You are a genius :+1:The growlight can run 24/7 Q: Does the timer needed to be manually turned on daily?

Answer this question
A: if you don’t need to set up the timer, it will just keep lighting every day every hour.

1 Like

I’ll look into the strips there great to use big fan

1 Like

Well that’s good. I still feel your money would be better spent on something that will provide you with a little power.

If you’re looking into those components, check arrow electronics. The website is more difficult to navigate, but they are usually cheaper or equal. And they ship free overnight for orders over $20

1 Like

@dbrn32 there’s this guy on YouTube that built a solar powered bitcoin mining farm definitely could I’m going to keep the car battery idea in mind. My friend grew with one. There pretty easy to find and I already have an inverter they sell them at Home Depot