New soil fox farm?

I just got some “Fox Farm Ocean Forrest” soil from a local grow shop by my house. I have read about cooking the soil to remove bugs in the soil. Should i go head and cook the soil or be able to use it from the bag? Also what would be the best way to cook the soil? Thank for the advice

1 Like

I have never heard of cooking soil to get rid of bugs. I wouldn’t do it unless the manufacturer says it’s OK. Good healthy soil is also supposed to have microorganisms and fungi in it, which I think would be adversely affected by getting baked - no pun intended :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You should not have to but all I do is keep it in the bag In the sun for a few days but you really shouldn’t have too @jscherencel

5 Likes

@Sixpackdad @jscherencel
Fox farms does cook their soil before bagging. However if it was packaged on a Friday or a Monday just like anything sometimes quality gets shoved aside.

Like Hogmaster stated, leaving in the sun for a bit will work, otherwise an oven will have to do.
I had a grow once where I had aphids appear from no where, and it was winter outside, so that tells me more than likely it came from the soil I purchased.
This grow I used straight from the bag no issues. But sometimes it does happen.
If you want to see the story check out my first grow. Well documented photos in there.

2 Likes

I’ve done it in foil pans on my grill. I agree with others that it’s not necessary. Sometimes you’ll get some knats and sometimes you won’t. There are other measures for dealing with them if need be. Another thing worth pointing out is that cooking it will likely have some negative effects on the good things in soil too.

6 Likes

It will also stink like hell.

3 Likes

I had thrips last December with ffof. I’ve never seen them before.

2 Likes

Pasteurize soil at 180F (82C) for 30 minutes. Finally something I know about.

It won’t hurt the soil at all and you can cut that down to 160F; just heat it for a longer time.

Something I don’t see mentioned here anywhere yet is pasteurized steer manure kneaded into the surface of the soil is a great way to fertilize and since it breaks down slowly, it can supply plants needs for a long period of time and won’t burn plants. Never grown any kind of crop that did not benefit greatly from steer manure.

6 Likes

Cooking at those temps won’t hurt the soil per se but will kill all the beneficial critters that they inoculated the soil with.

Try some diatomaceous earth powder, just mix into soil. Its made from crustations like barnicles… Good for your soil and the stuff is like glass to anything w an exoskeleton… And yes completely safe for humans… Old farm boy here…

4 Likes

It’s a judgement call. I may be new to this, but lots of experience with growing. I grew up with fruit orchards and a few acres of garden. You want to be a purist, you will at times lose crops; sometimes most of a crop, unless you deal with it. Any method you use to get rid of bad pests, will also kill other things in the soil. I believe it’s best to start with a problem free environment out of the gate.

3 Likes

I agree with the use of diatomaceous earth, but I feel the need to distinguish that the use of food grade is safer for indoor, as there may be pets and children :relaxed:

3 Likes

I did as well found my bug problem when I went to use some of the soil I had left from last grow, It was FFOF as well local grow shop purchase. I have found with most bugs I have researched most bugs that live in soil that are unfriendly to your garden also dont like dry soil for there larvae if its winter time I have started setting it in front of my dehumidifier for a couple days before I plant and make sure my soil is good and dry try to break the life cycle of the bugs.

1 Like

I honestly didn’t have any bugs in my FFOF soil. I didn’t use it for a few days and I did have it outside for a few days during the brutal Texas heat down south.

I guess that is why I didn’t see any insects when I went to use it.

1 Like

This will kill any bugs that might have been in there.

@xxpain4uxx for the record, I did get aphids once from FFOF. They are supposed to heat the soil before packaging, but like any product, sometimes it’s a Monday or a Friday…
I would recommend allowing it to sit in the sun if you can. Up to you, but following that once instance of aphids, I’ve purchased well over 10 bags of the Same soil with out a hitch.

Have DE on hand for when you have an issue, be careful it’s silica do not breath thst dust in wear a mask!!! Even if it’s health grade.

Baking your soil will work but like others stated it will hurt your soil in the way it will kill any good microbes as well as make your house smell like crazy sonu less you have a spare oven outside or want to cook em on your grill then it’s not really worth it.
Heck pouring a boiling pot of water on it might be a better option… It’s what I do with my peat pucks but with soil I leave it, once I notice gnats I spread DE

2 Likes

Don’t overthink things. You can sometimes get bugs from ocean forest, but it’s the exception and not the rule. When/if it happens, deal with it then.

4 Likes

That’s what I do!

I’m not sure DE is worth the trouble or cost, indoors or out, for pest management in cannabis. As a soil amendment it can affect water retention, but it won’t affect insects because it looses that ability once it gets wet.

When I was farming vegetables we’d cast it onto the plants to combat swarms of insects, but all those crops were washed before sale. Maybe DE application should be part of the process when taking a clone from someone else, but I’d never apply it to flowering plants.

I don’t want DE dust floating around in my home or workspace. I’d rely on IPM and good hygiene to keep pests in check.

TL&DR: Don’t add DE to your soil to kill bugs because it won’t

It does work, been in farm country my whole life. People even dust hunting dogs with it, I dust the outside perimeter of my home every fall durring dry season. And use in my veggie garden w/ no I’ll affect… And the grow stores around here carry it as well.

3 Likes