New set up, light opinion

Ok so new member here , long time grower. Have always done outdoor but just recently fell upon a free tent which I am now upgrading from. I bought the ac infinity 4x4 tent which I’m trying to decide on the lighting for. I currently own a philizon 1500watt cob led light that I know puts out a decent 3.5x 3.5 footprint , and at full blast pulls about 309 watts from the wall, so I’m wondering if i should just buy a second one of those lights for the 4x4, or go with the HLG 600 rspec which i know would be good for that 4x4. Now so far I’ve had good luck with that 1500 in my 2x4 tent with some supplemental blue led and 2 ,50 watt cob lights with the 1500. Now I know the hlg is going to be a really nice light but I’m just not sure if I should go with it cause the price tag. I’m willing to throw down the loot for it if I decide that’s what I want but , I just feel like I would also have good luck with 2 of those 1500 watt philizon with the supplemental lights I have to fully fill that 4x4 I have . There are some things that I also am trying to consider and one of those things is power consumption cause I also feel like the hlg oppose to all those other lights together would do me good . I guess I’m just trying to see people’s opinions about what you think I should do here, should I stop being cheap with it or just throw down the money on the light I know should do me well, cause I obviously wouldn’t mind owning that nice light if it would be better overall in the end . What do you think?

3 Likes

Hlg is bitchin

5 Likes

Welcome ! I vote throw down the money and go for the HLG 600 rspec. Or two HLG 260 v2 rspec XL will give you a little flexibility for the 4x4 space. @dbrn32 is up on all the new light technology.

2 Likes

Exactly. These words. You wont be upset with your purchase AT ALL! DB is the Light Guru. But as far as should u pull the trigger? Unequivocally yes. If u plan to grow and keep growing. Gon get it. Save those bucks u woulda spent on a holdover and get the big guns.

Id also go with two 260’s. That two height flexibility is invaluable.

4 Likes

Yeah I figured I would either go all the way with the hlg or another one of the philizon lights just to take advantage of only having to spend another $220 . I have looked into the one you reccomend but for me there’s no middle ground right now just go a little or a lot lol. But I know I have seen that he is the guy to talk to throughout the forum about lights this is my first post but long time being in the background just reading up all the knowledge. I just figured I see him always helping peeps out and didnt wanna be another in line but hey if he stumbles upon this now that he is tagged , I wont be upset about that :rofl:

1 Like

No no no. Tag his butt to the discussion lol. And I feel ya, Go big or go home!

1 Like

What do you mean flexibility with the height? Cause that could be a good thing . I know the 600 needs 12 inches from the top of the tent , is that what you mean? Cause I was just thinking if I had to go higher I would put a fan on it to take away some of the heat. Or do you mean that I would theoretically be able to put the 2 lights at different heights based on what my plants are at in the tent ?

If you get the two fixtures, u can have one at 54 inches another at 48…

Lets say u have 6 plants. 2 are 3 ft tall and wide. The other 4 are a foot shorter and less bushy. With two fixture u can keep one fixture higher and over the tall ladies and lower the other to keep intensity the same.

Also some plants hate too much light, others love it. Likewise thought process. Just adds more… adaptability to your options.

2 Likes

Ok yeah I totally get you , that is something I may consider now cause I could definitely see how that could be helpful in curtain situations, but still I really like that 600 hahahaa and i think 2 of those are about the same price as the one 600 , I’m not sure tho but this is exactly why i figured I’d finally post here cause I knew there would be some things I havent thought about and that’s one of them

2 Likes

I personally use two hlg 260 V2 R-Spec XL in a 4 x 4 space and I love the flexibility. And have no problem filling the Space full of buds.

2 Likes

Thats why we are here man! Seriously that initial setup is always overwhelming. So many things to consider and voices on the internet. Then u spend weeks talking urself into and out of the same decisions repeatedly.

You did urself a favor asking before purchase. There’s no rush. I spent a year and a half or so around here learning and chatting before I bit the bullet and sourced my first DIY light. ~200w for about $250. And components to make another 200w worth. All about research and bouncing ur ideas off people who know better. Take ur time with ur choice and give @dbrn32 a chat if u can catch him around. Good dude.

2 Likes

Yeah for sure brotha, time is not too much of an issue at this point, I do have my 2x4 full at the moment , and I’m going to put a couple of the plants outside but in a month or so when the rest in there are bigger that’s when I’m gonna set up the 4x4 and throw everyone in there so I definitely have some time but I’m a very impatient person and I’m working on that but I kinda am hot to hop on buying another light cause it’s always exciting for me to see all my shiny new stuff come in for my new set up hahaha like a kid on Christmas, and I’m sure some people can understand that hahaha but I’m definitely glad I decided to hope on here before I pulled the trigger. Cause I’m the type of dude who always does my fair share of research before I do anything that I wanna do right and would kick my self in the behind if something came up that I didn’t think of that caused me an issue afterwards . Do it right the first time or do it twice is what I always say. But already there’s been new things to consider in this chat already so I greatly appreciate your and everyone else’s input !

2 Likes

Hlg-600 would be superior to two of the Philzon lights. Philzon doesn’t go out of their way to tell you to keep minimum distance from top of tent, but you should do this with all lights.

3 Likes

Yeah I figured that’s what you were gonna say , I think that if I end up going with the hlg that I dont think I should have any issues keeping the light 12 in away but could be wrong. The tent is 80 in tall and I usually use 3 gal pots which are 10 in tall so with also having a minimum distance between the light and plants themself I feel like I’m starting to get kinda limited on my height dont you think ?

10 off the ground and 12 off the top is 22" plus distance to the plants 18-24 inches… puts you at 40-44" of unused space technically… which is about half the tent height… we all deal with this in many different ways with training of the plants, etc. I also think we have all ran out of space at one point or another. It’s just the nature of the beast, 15-20’ ceilings would be ideal to grow in but generally unobtainable at home. I’ve got a serious height issue going on myself right now just supercropping away until I get them screened down better. I gotta get a journal going and I’ll tag you to see if we can come up with good height management after the manager didn’t do well, in the beginning.

4 Likes

80" taller than most tents, and there are plenty of them out there using hlg-600. It’s more diffuse than cob light, so would probably less of problem than light you are already using.

1 Like

This is an important consideration. Most people dont get how space is eaten alive like this

2 Likes

Yeah I suppose you are right, i mean its definitely looking like I’m gonna end up going with the hlg, like someone said earlier in the post I’m definitely trying to think long term here and get something that’s gonna last as well , now I’m thinking going with the 600 or 2 of the 260 xl , which one do you think will be more beneficial in a 4x4? Or just in general .

1 Like

Trust I’m not different dropping 10 in the 8x4 and was going to do “all natural” as regular seeds and wanted to find a decent Male if I could… I didn’t. Dropped two other regs after I found a Male… and took a runt out… but I’m in serious trouble now into week 7 of veg. I’ll insert a picture, but want to get time to sit and write out a journal and go through the process of bringing the whole canopy down 6-8". This was yesterday… average 36-44 inches of actual plant. Also is an 8x4x80"

2 Likes

Well it’s more expensive to do two of the 260 xl kits right now, but I believe this to be better setup for most. If money is tight, just go with the hlg-600. Right now its on sale for $700. May be able to get 10% coupon code to work too. The 260 xl kit was $380 each last I looked. When the hlg-600 was $1050 the two kits were no brainer.

2 Likes