New Sativa Grower

I’m a new grower in the L.A. area. I have several Sativa plants that’s started in Dec./Jan. outside, then brought them inside under lamp. The most mature and budding plant was brought outside in early March. The others were brought outside mid April. I haven’t done anything but water them. I’m sure they need nutrients, but not sure…just ordered Advanced Nutrients GL525050-12 Big Bud Liquid Fertilizer, 250 mL.250.
I’m wondering about my plant that is healthy, it is losing its large leaves that are turning yellow. Your thoughts on my plants…re

comendations

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum. I’m a newbie myself and I’m sure one of the guys can help you out. If they’ve been in the same pot for a couple months then I would say that it’s time to add nutrients to it. I wanna say the yellowing is a Nitrogen deficiency.

1 Like

Also, your plants could be in need of transporting to a bigger home. If the become rootbound then the Grim Weedper could be paying a visit.

I added some miracle grow indoor plant food and I had some leaf edges burn and read it may have been too much nitrogen…

Uh Oh…bigger pots? Can I put more than one plant in a pot? I’ve got space issues…

One thing I’ve learned from these guys is Miracle Gro is a No go. You want to stay away from anything with slow release nutrients. Fox Farm Ocean Floor is a popular choice here while Happy Frog is more recommended for seedlings.

Stay away from putting more than one plant per pot. You will start dealing with roots being interwoven

1 Like

I did hear that about the miracle gro after the fact. How can I check the roots without damaging them, if there is a way. They’ve been in these pots for 3 months…can I put more than one plant in a pot?

I just saw your message about doubling up

That’s ok. Here’s a message from one of the members about Miracle Grow

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. I used to live in Huntington Beach… many lifetimes ago.

Looks like your yellowing leaves are telling you she’s hungry for nitrogen. Miracle grow fertilizer will work better than nothing. It’s not really balanced for cannabis, but it should do the job. Be very soaring with it, and be sure to check the solution pH just before feeding. It needs to be between 6.2-6.8, with a pH of 6.5 being optimal. MG soil is a giant nono, but as I said they fertilizer can be used in a pinch.

There are a few more things worth noting.

The plants like direct sun. As much as they can get.

They are def outgrowing their containers. They will be growing larger all summer if outdoors, and are already pushing the boundaries of those little pots. Look into 5-7 gal fabric pots. Readily available on amazon and in most grow shops.

When you buy more soil, you need something balanced for cannabis. Fox farms ocean forest is readily available and will give you a good 4-6 weeks worth of nutrients. Avoid anything with a time release fertilizer.

1 Like

How do I check the ph? O have alot of seeds a friend gave me. Back in the 70s you put the seeds in a pot and it grew… I thought. Honestly my mom grew a couple of beauties in pots and I know she didn’t know about any of this. What has changed?

1 Like

A lot of successful home grows back in the day were just blind luck. Just the right water, soil, temps etc.

To test pH you will need a meter. Do NOT get one of those 3-in-1 prong style meters. They are not accurate enough. You can find decent ones (amazon again) for $20-$50.

There are also potential issues from using seeds found in the bottom of a bag of weed, but that’s another subject.

1 Like

Question… Can you recommend another soil? I can’t get the foxfarm in for a couple of weeks, I don’t think they’ll make it. Thanks

Roots Organics, Black Magic,…