New RDWC system setup

I can drain my entire system, Rez + both totes using that pump in about 8 minutes. Its loud and obnoxious but extremely efficient.

2 Likes

Oh and quick side note, I never use that pump to fill anything, only drain. There is some sort of oily residue that keeps the pump from burning up I guess. Learned that the hard way! :+1:

I got it for about 45$ from Harbour Freight

2 Likes

I heard that, i have submersible pump i used to drain small ponds…lol. icdo have a couple of pumps like the one for the in-line .i was more curious than anything, jst a thought

2 Likes

Hey guys! Soo I finally got the Dr. Tims and some Physan 20.
The RDWC system has been empty since the catastrophe.
As well, my plants are… Well, not going to do anything impressive if they even continue to survive.

So I was thinking about putting them back into the Rdwc system for a test run for a few days and see how they fair.
If I do do this, Any particular recommendations on using the Dr. Tims and or the Physan 20?
The system is clean as far as I can tell. Should I perhaps fill the system, put the plants in, add some Jacks, Physan, Dr Tims? Not in that specific order of course. Just looking for some feedback. I truly hope to find a way to eliminate this threat!
Also, would there be any type of negative reaction or effect with either the Dr tims or physan + Hydroguard?
I know @Jarlax has some input on this :grin: :+1:
Cause unfortunately we can’t all be blessed with magical water and roots and plant health as Sir @HappyHydroGrower :+1:

1 Like

I know nothing about the Dr tims. Sorry not much help there. I’d say go for it. You’ll never know till you try it. Good luck! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

1 Like

Yaaah I know Happy, because your a wizard :laughing:
I am about to make a quick modification to the system. So on this last clean out, I realized I can’t even remove the buckets from the tent. Due to when I set it up, I ran the pipe through a hole in the back. And attached a union ball valve which is massive and won’t fit through the hole!
So I believe I am going to make a cut just before the hole, add a coupling then small pvc cut then a union inside the tent :raised_hands:
Will unquestionably make things easier if or when I need to dismantle it again

3 Likes

Buckets I mean totes***

1 Like

@Chrisr36 you never want to add psyan 20 with any bacteria, or fungus, it kills all bacreria, fungus, and algae. Only use that as a last resort if it goes South on you and you need to kill everything but the plants. Its also good to clean your tools and system with after a run sense it does kill everything.

As for Dr. Tims, just follow the label, 1ml per gallon once a week or 2. I usually double it up until my res stableizes which it says not to do. Then i add half once a week, but i dont drain mine ever so it stays culturing and i just buffer it. Basically putting my finger on the bacteria war scale every week adding reinforcements to my army.

3 Likes

Pretty neat, next time i rebuild which is a ways off. Im going to add a bell drain into each 13 gal bucket so during my late flower roots gone wild the water level stays where i want it without throttling the infeed valves.

2 Likes

Awesome man! So filling the system, no plants or anything. Add some physan to make sure it’s completely clean thru and thru, then flush the system.
Then, add plants and nutes etc
Solid plan?
Then like a day later add some of the dr tims to the system.
@Jarlax

2 Likes

@Chrisr36 Clean with psyan, flush with water after to get it out. Fill res, add dr tims with nutes and any other bacteria or fungus your using, hydroguard etc.

I’ve read about people growing sterile hydro with the psyan 20, but ive never tried that. I have nuked my res with it during disaster though to try to save plants. I did, but honestly starting over after brown shit explosion is better.

3 Likes

Ok awesome! I’ll do this. Dr Tim’s first? Then everything else in proper order ?

Haha ahh nah nah! I’m going to try and follow your steps as close as I can since you battle the same crap I do!

I absolutely agree! The state my plants are in is sad. Just keeping them around for experimentation purposes :+1:
Going to start some new seedlings when I return from Houston after thanksgiving!
Thx a million :raised_hands:

2 Likes

@Jarlax I was going to ask you what type of filter bag is that you use in your rez?
I assume you have it on the fill hose from the chiller? That’s probably the best or only place to put it? Can’t think of a spot that would work before and debris would hit the pump/ chiller.

@HappyHydroGrower i recall you using a filter bag right? How’s yours rigged up bud

1 Like

The only filter type thing I have is the screen the water runs through going into the res. I think I posted a pic up above. :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

@Chrisr36 order of benifical bacteria and or fungus doesnt matter, just add after nutes mix and PH is set so the stuff doesnt hit hotspots and die.

As for the filter bag, the return line has a regular pump bag tied to it to catch anything before it gets to res which is where the chiller and recirc pumps are, those pumps are in a drying mesh bag as an additional layer. The actual canister filter on the floor cycles inside the res with the chiller.

2000 gph going to plants /coming back through the 3" pipe. Then 1600 gph circulating through the chiller into the res, then 900 gph Fluval canister filter recirculating in the res. Tons on water movement going on.

That back 3" pipe has this pump bag tied to it. Its pretty effective. Cleaning them today.

2 Likes

Hey @Chris36 im just curious im in north central texas, you?

1 Like

You are close to me.

2 Likes

@GreggT were you speaking to me brother, im just south of Dallas and all my neighbors scowl when i hang my N.E.Patriots flag outside roflmao

1 Like

I am on Lake Texoma

2 Likes

Kool beans i try to get up there at least once a summer great swimming and camping there. We’ll have to get together one of these days. I just ordered a new strain called future#1 claims 30-35% thc