New light kit from HLG

Yeah ii pleased with my 650r but i think i would have rather have two 350rs but i thoght i red far red helps with keep flower stretch down but will make veg plants stretch but flower welps keep them squat i mainlined this last one and wanted to get into flower but had no roim so went in late it 34in now its 43 and think i. In trouble but its been couple weeks so hope ahe is done but im definitely gonna book it on that 260w fr today!

in case you have not seen these.

1 Like

No i haven’t thanks great info

I emailed HLG last night complaining about the price drop after my order. This morning they replied back saying they will credit the order $30.00. So that brings it down to $221.00 for the light.

3 Likes

One of many reasons HLG is so highly recommended on this forum. Quality products and excellent customer service!
Glad to hear it.

3 Likes

Great company! Can anyone claim that Amazon has done that?

2 Likes

@beardless, I watched the videos that you posted, thanks. I think that I saw the Bugbee one a year or so ago. It definitely helps.
I know each grow room is different. Do you think that introducing the FR flowering light at a week or two after the flip would be a good starting point.

I can’t really say. I do not approach it that technically. I have HLG and other lights with 660nm and have not paid much concern beyond that.

@beardless, @dano13, I emailed HLG with the question of when to introduce the FR flowering light. Here is the answer, and it was about what I was thinking.

“For Flowering under the 260 FR, it can be introduced at time of transition to flower, but if the plants are prone to stretching, then I would recommend waiting until after the first 2 weeks to introduce the FR. This will also align with the timeframe where increasing the light intensity for flower will become necessary.”

1 Like

So you should keep light intensity down for first couple weeks then turn it up so is that why they seem to be stretching to much i have the 650r

@dano13, Yes it may appear so, if you keep the Diablo at the same level after the flip. This will keep the DLI correct. This chart has always confused me, but it may becoming clearer.
Also, I definitely need to come up with a consistent way to read light, with the phone app. I think this technique will be a good one.
On HLG’s website under support section, there are some calculators that their light users can plug their numbers onto.
I first used the convert lux to ppfd & measuring lux with a phone calculator. This tells me that 37,000 lux equals a ppfd of 604 using the Diablo. Next I used the convert ppfd to DLI calculator, this tells me that 604 ppfd at 18 hours equals 39 DLI. And after the flip to 12 hours the same 604 ppfd equals 26 DLI.
Next I plugged in 52000 lux equals 849 ppfd and at 12 hours it equals 37 DLI.
So I am thinking that I will go with 37,000 lux before the flip(39DLI), and for two weeks after,(26DLI). Then switch to the FR light at 52,000 lux,(37DLI). And run this unless I see signs of light burn or foxtailing.
Of course it will be best to ramp up to that 52,000 over a few days.

1 Like

Well i have a photobio par meter its not top of line but it seems to be accurate of what manufacturers readings say. So it gives me in range it reads wavelengths between 400-700 then i use the calculator but i like that chart but yeah i only grown autos under my light so far but seemed not get it dialed in on photos the last couple i flipped one stretched really bad and i thoght the on i just put in couple weeks ago was doing better till i got home yesterday and it seemed to doubled i was like holy f@ck but i had it cranked but im hoping its done but we will see i low ceiling right now so kinda worried but im changing that soon but was hoping to wait till this one was done but if it keeps going i will i have to keep turning it down because it keeps getting taller but i was worried about this before hand because i had no room and i was waiting and new she had to go in flower or i was asking for trouble

@dano13, My only grow under the Diablo was a Bruce Banner photo. About 5 stems really stretched above the others. After getting tired looking at this at about week 4. I started super cropping the tall stems. I think that is the correct term, for when you slightly crush the stem so that it will bend a bit. After I got the tops of the tall stems to lay down things worked out fine. Much better than the pain of cutting the tops of them, enough if cutting them would be best it would hurt me more!

Thanks for sharing the info.
Right now I wish I had some far red. I would like to get a little space between the nodes of the Afghan I recently started. The best I can do is put them under the photo boost strip light. Curious to see if it will do what I am hoping it will do.

Did you get your light yet mine should be here 23rd or 24th I also just noticed on my 650r I had 3 rows in one of the boards are out but if you turn it to 100% they light up a bit so I emailed hlg I have a refurbished 650r I bought just over a year so don’t think it’s still under warranty but they told me to to do something to the dimmer and see what if it runs at full power but basically they told me if what they suggested and if it’s a dimmer they will send a new one and if it’s not they will send that one back and send a replacement so they can investigate it more but so far hlg is been great I have no complaints

1 Like

Yes it came in last Thursday, I got it hung and running on Saturday morning. I like the spread that the triple board heat sink gives the two board light. Even though it is a bit too wide for my 2x3 tent, but the light is is as intense at the at side edges as the center area. I hope to move to a larger tent in the future.
I shorten the power cord, in order to change the driver to remote mount. I found the screws on on one side of the straight connector were not tight enough, and the other side was OK. You may want to unscrew the nuts on this connector, and give the screws a quick check. Be careful not to strip the treads. Use a small pocket type screwdriver with a skinny handle to check the screws with.

1 Like

Nice I will check it over thanks. Yeabi have the 260w 288qb bspec and it’s on the double board I was thinking about getting the triple heatsink for it I like the triple better

Yes HLG is a great light. Just bought the Blackbird my self on sale.

That’s sweet!! What size tent is that model designed to cover??

@Fieldofdreams flowers a 4x4

1 Like