New layout for grow room

I have a 9’x8+’ room that at the moment has a 4x8 tent in it. 8’tent length along 9 ’ wall so only 6" each side. I want to take the tent off and use the frame or build another frame to utilize the whole 8x9’ area. Another 4x8 would not leave a lot of room to move around even with just the frames. The 9’ is wall to wall the 8’ is back wall to 6’ from doorway so really 10’+

I was thinking today if I only used 6 QB 260 XL’s instead of 8 maybe I could design to walk around whole area. If I run 3 in a row ( I I I ) along the 9’ wall I could cover 6’ long screen x 42" 2 times. This would leave 1.5’ on each side to walk around. Then I would have room to leave a bit at the back wall to walk behind and plenty in front. I can vent with the 16" carbon filter and 8" exhaust fan and use the in room ac in summer to keep temps down. In winter the lights and house heat would maintain temps.

I figure 6 five gallons per each 3 lights so a nice harvest. So not quite 2 4x8 tents area but more room to move around. Any one have any suggestions or better Ideas? I have 10 QB 260’s so If you think this would work I would probably build a frame to hold the lights and filter and use the 4x8 tent in the garage during winter months with the other lights

1 Like

Also if the lights are hung in a row this way… III … what is the max distance between lights ? On the XL’s there is 12" between boards so 12" between lights? Or does overlap allow more spacing between the fixtures?

@dbrn32

Ill let DB handle the specs. But the walk room sounds like a good way to maximize space. I bet @Killadruid wishes he thought this far ahead

3 Likes

Here’s a couple of things: if doing a perpetual grow you will likely need 4 spaces: germination, veg, flower, dry. By far the largest space is for flowering. If I were growing in that space I would have a 4 X 8 and a 4 X 4 or 3 X 3 for veg space. Run a small germination station in with my work space where mixing nutes and note taking.

You can veg a LOT of plants in a 4 X 4. It also gives you options for having a ‘mother’ plant and keep her in small tent to puke out clones for the flowering space. Something @Bogleg is good at haha.

Also; light requirements in veg are far less than the demand in flower.

2 Likes

I have been doing a perpetual grow for the last 5 grows. I have actually 3 in house spaces and 2 inside but out of house spaces. I have 10 - QB 260 xls, 1 - 1000w HPS, 1 - 1000w Double ended HPS, both HPS dimmable to 400w. and 1 fixture with 4 QB 132’s I built for vegging. Also the reg 1000w dimmable HPS is an HPS/MH combo ballast.

The space in question is going to be only for flowering only.

In the other spaces I have 4x8’ tent, a 4X4’ tent and a 40" x 40" tent that can be used or left opened without a tent.

3 Likes

Dang u got alot of light there. Kinda jealous lol. Yeah @PurpNGold74 wish I did but u know what I got the 2 rooms pumping along and exsperimentation is the spice of life man. I do like my 600w chps light.

2 Likes

Its hard for me to visualize it, but do you think 2 separate areas with a space to walk in between might be beneficial? Also you could have the harvests staggered between the 2 areas so the light heights and possibly intensity could be different for both spaces.

I’m not suggesting they be blocked off from each other, just give an access lane in the middle.

1 Like

I do plan on room to walk between the 2 screen areas. By going with 6 lights instead of 8 lights and having 3 in a row I should have enough room to walk between and around, I hope. Trying to figure it out on paper as there is still at least 4 weeks on the current flower before I can see for sure.

2 Likes

I can get all the pipe and corners and tees needed and a 32’ long Diamond Mylar for $100 so that is the way I will most likely go.

1 Like

15" spacing would probably be good, that’s what we did with Otto’s in 10x12 room.

2 Likes