New indoor grow setup ?s

BEANS!!! you forgot to mention beans!! they’re important in this endeavor :smiley: looks like you have a nice setup on the way. happy growing

2 Likes

I was washing them before after every grow, I don’t anymore, I wash them once in a blue moon in the washing machine when the girls not around lol So like 3 times a year maybe.

2 Likes

They’re on the way and I can’t wait!! I’m the state that looks like a dead chicken too :joy:

@beardless Thanks. That sounds like the plan

1 Like

Wow it’s too early and I’m not even stoned but I thought you meant literal beans

I was like wtf do you do with “beans” for cleaning the fabric pots, then it clicked…oh beans!

2 Likes

:joy: that’s your problem!

That’s the issue I’m sure

Seriously though, I sometimes (not always) feel out of balance figuratively, if I don’t have a buzz.

2 Likes

So question for everyone. So once I have everything setup I know I’m gonna be itching to get started but I got one issue. I currently have 3 girls outside (the limit is 4) so I wanna let them finish and see the outcome. I have one “jack h” seed that was given to me so I was thinking of getting it started and then once my other beans get here and the outdoor girls are done I’d start the other three with the jack or Would it be to much of a pain having started the jack early. I was thinking if anything I’d just maybe have to top a extra time or two :man_shrugging:t3:

Yep cannot start the day without getting the head straight.

1 Like

Nothing stopping you from starting one ahead of the others but starting together will be easier to manage.

If you have one established first her lighting needs will be different and you’ll need to think about raising / lowering your plants assuming your running one light at a single setting / height.

I’m doing this myself presently and in my grow (in coco) I had to run separate nutrient mixes for both early on, and will need to do it again soon as one plant is going to be in flower (auto) while the other still needs the “grow” nutes in the line I’m using, etc…

Absolutely can be done, life will be mildly easier if you wait…

Current state of affairs in my 2x3:

2 Likes

Yeah I forgot to mention they are all photos so the would eliminate the nute headache I think plus I’m gonna run jacks321 which should be about the same regardless I think. Yeah my main concern was the height and lights I guess I will be running two lights so I could probably adjust one side maybe :thinking:. Your girls looking good! What strains ya got?

Yeah, Jack’s and soil would make the staggered start easier. Heck, with something like Happy Frog you don’t even need the Jack’s until about week 4ish.

I’m using Coco and AN Sensi Coco nutes so even in the early stages the mixes were different regardless of flower / bloom.

The bushy gal is a Gelato Autoflower (ILGM), and the 2 in solo cups are Sick’O’Berry. They are regular non feminized seeds so I’m hoping one is a girl. Once I can confirm sex and assuming at least one is a girl she’ll be up potted. If both end up male, I’ll have different decisions to make… Just grow out the Gelato alone and restart post harvest, or drop seeds again and deal with another split run.

Still getting things dialed in and I would have made slightly different choices if I had decided to go the auto pot route before dropping the beans. Each grow is learn / adjust as I dial in my set-up and approach.

I also have some Jack’s on hand from my last grow and could probably simplify my life a little if I switch to that for a bit mid grow depending how things go… I’ve also been itching to try Mantis nutes which is buffered, supposed to hold PH well, and like Jack’s is a seed to bloom single formula. Little costly for a large grow but would be fine for 2 plants for me…

Eventually I’ll find my preferences, stabilize then its just fine tuning from there.

2 Likes

Got the tent set up for the most part! Here’s a couple pictures. :grin:

Time to fill it. Gonna get my coco buffed this week end. Question for you guys I know y’all mentioned I could use diatomaceous earth as a silica top feed. I assume that needs to be the food grade version? Some mentioned maybe mixing some in maybe when I mix the perlite. should i do that too and if so how much for the 5G pots? @CygnusX1 @Nicky @Covertgrower

3 Likes

I’ll let others respond who have experience using DE. I have some around for other purposes (did you know you can mix with water and consume it?) but only plan to use for the plants for pest control if needed. I’d def go with food grade.

If you’re going to use it I’d just throw a few things out there.

1 - The powder is VERY fine and you do not want to inhale any of it so be careful.
2 - It will get very clumpy if you have a fair amount and add some water and it doesn’t truly dissolve, just kind of disperses and gets carried in water.

IF I were to use it, I’d probably say to mix it in well (again being careful not to breathe any in if you value your lungs) as opposed to top dressing. Top dressing can be good if you’re fighting any bugs as it’ll slice them open as they walk across it.

3 Likes

I’ve used DE and I agree mix it in.

I want to comment on your setup it looks nice and clean however I suggest you re rig your rachets as the way they are currently rigged it wastes alot of space.

This is an example loop it over its self so you can suck it right up to the roof.

You will need as much height as you can get.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll be making that adjustment this evening.

1 Like

Are your drivers mounted on the light ?

I recognize those lights, I have a similar HLG 320xl. The instructions from HLG have you mount the driver on top of the heatsink.

1 Like

Don’t they SELL longer cabling though, for mounting it OUTside the tent, to mitigate heat?

Home Depot sells it. You just have to calculate what size wire you need (it’s going to be larger for the longer distance).

1 Like

Yeah I was wondering bc my light says it should be minimum of 15in from the top of the tent but his looks closer for sure. I don’t think I would mount outside at this point because I think I will need the extra heat once it cools off here.

1 Like