New guy question

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed - Green Point Seeds GPS (Sundae Stallion regular seeds, Tombstone regular seeds and 1970’s Indica bag seed).
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF - Fox Farms now, but will be growing in organic garden soil.
  • Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths - Pots/Grow bags until they’ll be moved outside.
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable) - Aquifer well water PH 7.57, runoff water PH 6.17.
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable - Aquifer well water PPM 177, runoff PPM 812. I just transplanted plants into Fox Farms soil, so I paused the nutrients.
  • Indoor or Outdoor - Indoor at night, greenhouse during the day. On the 28 of May 21 they’ll be planted outside.
  • Light system - VIPARSPECTRA Pro Series P2000 LED Grow, (2)T5 HO Grow Lights - 4 FT 4 Lamps, I would like to ask for help adding a grow light for indoor tent growing.
  • Temps; Day, Night - 65 to 75
  • Humidity; Day, Night - 20% day 60/70% at night.
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size - Fans and wind, no system.
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier, - Portable AC unit inside, swamp cooler in greenhouse, humidifier in the tent.
  • Co2; Yes, No - No

I’ve been vegetable gardening for 40+ years and would like the opportunity to learn how to grow marijuana. I have a VIVOSUN 2-in-1 108"x48"x80" grow tent and I would like to ask for recommendations for an additional LED light. My goal is to primarily grow outside and then to grow a couple of plants during the winter. Since I’m new to this type of growing I would like to ask for a recommendation for a 4x4 grow to flower LED light? Love this site!! I have so many questions!!! Thank you, J

This is my first post and would like to apologize in advance if I posted incorrectly.

6 Likes

Horticulture Lighting Group builds one of the best lights in the business. Their HLG QB550 would flower a 4 X 4.

If you are handy, you can build a light superior to just about anything else, this is especially attractive if you have access to aluminum for heatsink material. This thread is where you want to be:

5 Likes

Thank you for the correction and advice. I’ve seen some impressive lights on this site and the members have some serious skills. I’m thinking buying an all-in-one (grow to flower) light might be better for this newbie. Is the HLG 600 V2 comparable to the QB550? Thank you again.

2 Likes

Yup. That one would be great

3 Likes

Depending on where in the world you are, you may be able to combine both like I do. I prefer not to flower indoors because my wife doesnt like the odor. So I preveg indoors and plant well established plants in the spring. I grow way more dope than I can use in my outdoor. 1 plant can easily net a 1.5 to 2 pounds dry weight. Depending on the strain, location, soil etc you can easily exceed this outdoors.

Not mine, but it shows what’s possible.

3 Likes

PLEASE Don’t be like me. DON’T do what I did. I thought I could outwit and schmooze my way
with cheaper less expensive LEDs. I now have a box filled with 4 LED’s that aren’t worth a crap
and I kick myself in the A$$ every day I get up because I DIDN’T listen to @dbrn32

@dbrn32 is the pHD of LED’s. He’s the legend of lighting. He will put you on the path you need to be on. Buy the light he suggests because he knows his sh$t. AND you’ll be VERY
happy with the results. TRUST me, I speak from experience.

4 Likes

My state recently gave authorization to grow legally, so it’s going to take a little time to prepare the soil for additional locations. This is my first new plant bed, it’s 6x6x4, which I’m going to box and add an additional foot (6x6x5 total). Do you think the dementions are adequate to grow a decent tree? If my dementions for a grow area are sufficient I’m going to also plant in my garden. My garden has 10+ years of composting and my vegetable yields are amazing. I’m hopefully I’ll have some luck growing outside, but ultimately I’d like to be able to grow year round inside and out. Thank you @Cannabian

3 Likes

Thank you and I completely agree. The sticker price on some of these lights definitely makes you think twice. However, quality comes at a cost and I’m hoping to grow quality.

1 Like

The price stings at first BUT the customer support, longevity and quality of fruit will be the
magic pill that makes you forget the initial sting of the wallet bite. I’m about 2 months into
my ownership of an HLG and I really wish I acted sooner. YES, it’s that much of a difference.

3 Likes

Buying a quality light will pay for itself with your first healthy harvest. For the money and time you invest into all aspects of your grow, you really can’t afford not to get a decent light.

6 Likes

@YuccaBud you will never see a Bently commercial why?
Exactly, Quality cost, and if you want to make your growing experience anything worth doing, Spend at least $3000-5000 on lights if you have too, Every 100 watts is about an ounce five or take in a quick math equation of reference to when buying a light. A 400 watt light will yield about 3.5 ounces more less depending on grower. Those who buy cheap lights will quit growing after the second or third grow, they loose interest and patience, but if you sending base bats and donkey dicks sticks, you’ll will buy Liquid Sunlight sunshine in a bag if they sokd it for a one month supply for a bigger harvest cause in time you learn the stronger you’re light the better your plant feeds, grows, and produce over all, but you can flower a plant in candle light if you skilled enough to keep it burning a whole flower cycle !

2 Likes

Yep the size is good. Whats with all that water?

I living in Arizona, the ground is hard and compact. Lucky I have a tractor with an augur to dig and then I have to use a pick-axe/shovel to shape the hole. Filling the hole with water overnight keeps the soil from falling back into the hole when shaping. Additionally, I have a garden with rich organic soil filled with worms I used to refill the hole, so I wanted to ensure the soil stays damp for their transfer to their new location. I’m going to plant a couple of plants in my garden and hopefully they’ll grow as well as my tomatoes. I can grow vegetables and fruits, so I’m hoping everything will work out okay. Thanks again.

1 Like

If I were you I would build mounds ontop of that ground. Put weeping line in the middle of the mound… lay it ontop of somendrain rock and cover with a strip of landscape cloth. Pile more soil ontop of that. Like put a bucket or 2 of material on the ground… then the weeping line… then the cloth about a foot wide strip ontop to keep the line from clogging. Then pile on a few more buckets of good soil/ compost. Your plant will friken grow like a champ. You may want to get some rancher wire, enough to surround the plant once and the again double the radius and higher up on pickets. You too can grow trees!
Dont waste your time digging holes that may not drain well. Cannabis hates wet soggy ground. Mounds help to prevent standing water. Watering internally helps spread water evenly and conserve it at the same time.
Rancher wire has squares about 6 inches big, so its easy to reach in and direct the branches where you want em and its way more ridgid than other wires… it ant cheap but you can use it over and over.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the tips!! I have every item on your list. Going to need to box and fence the mounds. I raise chickens (100+) and rabbit season is right around the corner. Rabbits dig into the mounds during the night and if a single chicken gets out of their coop, the mound will be flat before the end of the day.
The holes I’m digging now are for the future. I’ve been growing in AZ for 40+ years and realized a long time ago it takes time to prepare the soil. You’re absolutely correct about the drainage. In two or three years from now and a ton of composting I’ll be able to use those holes;-) Thanks again.

2 Likes

I love this idea!! I just moved to Arizona and will copying this! @Cannabian

@YuccaBud hows it working out for you?

1 Like

@Cannabian set me on the path to grow trees!! I’ve never grown MJ, but reading some older posts has really helped. I back filled this hole with garden compost and planted my first plant.

5 Likes

Looks really good! Do you just water with a garden hose or did you set up some sort of irrigation system?

We just moved here a few weeks ago, i have a few indoor grows under my belt, but this is my first outdoor and first soil grow. Its only temporary bc this is not my house, ours is being built. But here is my 2 clones and one auto flower.

3 Likes

Very nice! You may require access into the next cage? So hack a hole big enough to reach into it so you ca service your bush. That should get pretty big!

I’m watering with a watering can for now. The plan is to go to a drip system with a 55 gallon drum after I add the second cages. Reading older posts made me think about controlling PH and plant nutrition, so the goal is to ensure everything matches the feeding charts.

2 Likes