New guy about to take the plunge

I’m a Mississippian too good luck on your grow.

1 Like

Someone suggested this that isn’t on this forum, but an old metal bed frame would work well if you can cut the steel and drill holes in it. Would be heavy duty and cheap.

4 Likes

Great idea!

I’m pondering the 4 V2 QB132s with a hlg-240h-1750a driver for a 2x4. ~$135 for the boards and shipping, ~$70 for the driver and shipping; connectors, power cord,and wires are in hand. Just need to figure out the DIY mounting…

No specs on HLGs site for their V2 QB132s yet but I reached out to their contact email.

1 Like

Just bolt together a rectangle shape of aluminum angle to size. Then mount boards to frame.

2 Likes

Here is an example, @sixpackdad:

4 Likes

That a 3x3 tent?

1 Like

That’s four 120 knock offs in a 4x4 tent… whole fixture is 3x3 ( was trying to get one board over each 2x2 square).

2 Likes

Clay77 I thought I had the same problem with the wife. She doesn’t participate but understands the medical benefits. Like you I am a newbie and will be growing in my garage. Tent is setup and the temps r dialed in now will be working on humidity levels in tent. Personally I would grow in a tent but then I don’t have the option of growing outside. And the wife only question was about the electric bill. Told her I think they will be not bad but if they are I might switch to LED’s. MH & HID lighting now

My room draws about 1800 watts for about 15 hours per day (average over entire grow). We pay $0.085 per KWH. This is for lights, there is additional power supplied to the fans and A/C unit and dehumidifier.

This comes to $2.30 per day to power my lights, maybe $3.00 for the whole operation. I consider it $100/mo for budgetary purposes.

1 Like

Looks like I might need to add up all the wattage I will be using and what my electric rates are. Was hoping for around $40.00 monthly. Hydro store told me so! Lol. Running a 400 MH watt bulb for veg and a 600 HID watt bulb for flower and the ballast is a LITE.

I have a 19 year old daughter that can only flip a light switch up anyway so I’m not to worried about one more light burning lol.

1 Like

Welcome Clay,

I’m a first time grower with a passion for learning. I’ve come to learn that you can control pretty much anything indoors. Where there is a will, there is a way!

Don’t let high humidity hold you back! I’m not sure what type of personality you are but if you like challenges and are willing to spend some money on a passion like growing.

Then take the plunge Clay! … You will fall in love with it as a new hobby I’m sure!

https://ilgmforum.com/t/thc-times-have-changed-so-grow-with-them/26593/38?u=greencoat

2 Likes

If price between the two didnt matter and you had the skill to build either of the two which one do you chose? Also I’ll m not sure what color spectrum will get me from germination to smoke.

Run led much cheaper. If you like using hid lamps use cmh my plants are loving it and it pulls the same as an led

Well I dropped two beans this morning, fingers crossed. If and when they pop I’ll put them under a CFL?

1 Like

Why do you guys have to put me on the spot like that? Lol!

The cost always matters. I’m down with being willing to spend a little more to get a little more. That’s not really the case with either of these. The 288 boards are a little more efficient. But you’ll gain more coverage and have more flexibility for repurposing in the future with the 120 boards. And they’re cheaper.

I can do both builds no problem and would probably opt for the 120 build. But assembling the 260 kit is easier. A lot easier. I put 8 of 260 kits together in less than 6 hours last month. It would probably take that or longer to do a clean solid qb 120 build with 4 boards.

3 Likes

Wow 6 of them his big a space does that light

So I’ve ordered or have on hand everything I need to start a plant or two in a tent in my garage except the light. 2 BGLs in peat disks, bagged and on top of cable box in a cabinet.

I’m not sure what spectum is best or will work seed to finish.

Get 3000k or 3500k. Either will work, whichever is available. 3500k is probably a little more popular.